When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Met a real watch expert last night..................Not!

browngo1

Absolutely, Pho. It's a small dramatization of the event, but, trust me, I played it cool. What could I do?

It's absolutely about the attitude and the looks. I wear a good suit, smell good and always try to talk to people with respect.

I have no doubt in my mine, she didn't know it was a rep, because after she's seen the watch, something changed in her eyes... You know, that bling bling shine some people have when they see something they desire... :greedy:

You are not going to like this one. I certainly didn't like it at all...

I was having a meeting downtown today and spotted a very fancy IWC AD shop. I had half an hour to spear so I went in to check out Portuguese 38.

I was welcomed by a very nice 50+ year old, amazingly beautiful lady with a heavy french accent and was offered a cup of coffee before she showed me the Portu. By the way never have a coffee in AD shop, it's an AD trick, if you have a coffee there you can not say I need a cup of coffee to think about it and to excuse yourself. Anyway, she bring the Portu in and I look at at, mesmerized, of course - I love that watch - but also to mentally learn all the details. She smiles, with her french accent: "Try it on."

And that where my heart drops. I suddenly realize that I'm wearing my rep Mark XVI. Totally forgot about it! "Adeodatus, you bloody idiot, you will never be able to return to this shop. Ever. Haven't you learnt anything on RWG?!"

Obviously it was too late, so I'm awkwardly trying to remove my rep from the wrist, but she spots the watch.

"Oh sir, I see you are an IWC customer?"

"Yeah" - Isay while trying to slip my watch into the jacket pocket

"Can I see it?"

Damn it, woman haven't you done enough!? I pass my rep to her, while trying to play it cool and try the Portu on.

"Fabulous watch" I almost scream at her, while passing the Portu back.

"Yes, yours too" she says, "I love the watch, but we've never had one in stock. Congratulations."

"Th..thankkk you" - I mumble, while grabbing the watch out of her hands and literally running outside.

"Sir, wait, what about your coffee?"

Coffee? I need a focking shot of whiskey now, lady, or ten.

"Please visit us again, if you decide to purchase the Portuguese"

So 3 heart attacks and one brain hemorrhage later I was finally out, looking for the nearest open pub to have my shot of whiskey.

Conclusion:

1. Even AD sales person can be an "expert"

2. Never ever ever ever bring your rep to AD shop, if you want to live a long and healthy life.

3. I need to change my nickname here to Idiotdatus.

The meeting went well, though :)

Good story...but relax...most people cant tell the difference between are high quality reps and the genuine article. Unless of course they are familiar with a particular watch...and maybe with a loupe. ;)

It's not a good idea to show off a rep In any watch store or AD. But If it's on your wrist..and you are not calling attention to it...no big deal really.

I hope you enjoyed your whiskys....the next one is on me. :drinks:

Mike

Good story...but relax...most people cant tell the difference between are high quality reps and the genuine article. Unless of course they are familiar with a particular watch...and maybe with a loupe. ;)

It's not a good idea to show off a rep In any watch store or AD. But If it's on your wrist..and you are not calling attention to it...no big deal really.

I hope you enjoyed your whiskys....the next one is on me. :drinks:

Mike

LOL the whole story was actually an excuse to have some Laphroig in the middle of the day :drinks:

LOL the whole story was actually an excuse to have some Laphroig in the middle of the day

Cool. Glad to hear it. I was worried man, sounded like you were gonna give yourself a heart attack!!!

I know that look well. When I was a senior in college, my frat bro would bring a hot chick around and we'd be standing around shootin the [censored] and this chick could give a crap about me. Then, frat bro would say owe, let me introduce you to [me], uh huh uh huh whatever, bro: he is the schools [xyz impressive title] eyes open wide - Hmm oh really. Bro: and he is going to law school next year- (eyes grow really big) :).

Funny how that works :)

One of the long-timers here tells a story of going into a Rolex AD and being called out on his Gen vintage single Red, because the Rolex sales girl thought all Rolex bezels *must* click and be uni-directional to be genuine.

A salesperson is a salesperson ... most of the time.

The story continues that an older gentleman behind the counter whisked her aside and took the watch in his own hands and almost wept over it. He knew his stuff, but she did not.

One of the long-timers here tells a story of going into a Rolex AD and being called out on his Gen vintage single Red, because the Rolex sales girl thought all Rolex bezels *must* click and be uni-directional to be genuine.

The story continues that an older gentleman behind the counter whisked her aside and took the watch in his own hands and almost wept over it. He knew his stuff, but she did not.

Doesn't that same story continue with their watchmaker taking the back off of it and checking it out before the owner has time to say, "What the heck are you doing?" and is surprised/delighted to find a 1570 beating away inside?

Most of my friends and colleagues know nothing about watches, so probably know Rolex and that's about it. A colleague did comment on my SMP chrono the other week, he has a Rolex sub himself so has a little watch knowledge... he assumed mine was gen, which to be fair unless you know the obvious tells such as slightly poor bezel pearl etc., is not surprising. Think I'm at the age now (late 20s) where I can get away with an 'expensive' watch or two so people will likely assume gen. Think someone might twig at some point as my collection grows though!

jkay you've got your story wrong :acute:

it wasn't single red -- it was double red!! ;):lol:

deltatahoe

ps, no, it wasn't mine (unfortunately)

Doesn't that same story continue with their watchmaker taking the back off of it and checking it out before the owner has time to say, "What the heck are you doing?" and is surprised/delighted to find a 1570 beating away inside?

I think it actually happens that the older man asks permission to work the movement via the crown .. and is happy to see that it operates the hands as a Rolex should .. in the OPPOSITE direction as an ETA or A21j ...

I always play dumb when someone asks me a watch question. I was at a restaurant recently and a diner noticed my 5127G Calatrava. First word out of his mouth was that's a wonderful replica. I said yes I paid quite a bit for it, I wanted the best replica in the world. I smirked and he walked away. I noticed on his wrist was a Submariner 16610 which looked to be authentic. I am pretty sure he was trying to show it off, but I wouldn't give him the chance.

Spanked him ! .... :D .... Awesome !! I'll be filing that reply for use at a later date.. ha ha.

Most of my friends and colleagues know nothing about watches, so probably know Rolex and that's about it. A colleague did comment on my SMP chrono the other week, he has a Rolex sub himself so has a little watch knowledge... he assumed mine was gen, which to be fair unless you know the obvious tells such as slightly poor bezel pearl etc., is not surprising. Think I'm at the age now (late 20s) where I can get away with an 'expensive' watch or two so people will likely assume gen. Think someone might twig at some point as my collection grows though!

There are plenty of rich "kids" who wear rolex's in high school. There are plenty of millionaire in their 40s/50s who only wear t shirt shorts - age is irrelevant attitude is everything.