When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big watch fad, is it over? New Pam 42mms!

cougar1

Panerai have released a few new watches of late in a nice sized 42mm, I guess to appeal to a wider audience. With many more wis being ever more critical of large watches in the past couple of years it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. Let's face it Panerai were big players in starting the trend, is this the beginning of the end for 44mm+ watches?

Pam388_Cat_Front_B.png

Pam392_Cat_Front_D.png

There are several others, but these are obviously being aimed as the main release. They look quite good imo, not too big not too small, some people think they are the ladies new offering, they aren't...what ye think!

It seems to be on the agenda for a few years, they want to go back to their own classic size of 42mm, they were obviously milking the fad for all it's worth over the last decade. They've probably come to the realisation that they can still have the big pam lovers and get a little bit of action from the 'no thanks I'm not wearing a wall clock on my wrist' brigade aswell :D

It's funny as rolex and omega were slow and reluctant to jump in on the big watch parade, they have done so of a little of late, but now they may well go backwards aswell

...can't beat 38mm-42mm imo :)

It seems to be on the agenda for a few years, they want to go back to their own classic size of 42mm, they were obviously milking the fad for all it's worth over the last decade. They've probably come to the realisation that they can still have the big pam lovers and get a little bit of action from the 'no thanks I'm not wearing a wall clock on my wrist' brigade aswell :D

It's funny as rolex and omega were slow and reluctant to jump in on the big watch parade, they have done so of a little of late, but now they may well go backwards aswell

...can't beat 38mm-42mm imo :)

Can't agree with you more. 45+ watch does look good on Stalone's wrist, but for us, humans, 38-42 is the right size.

Dream on boys. Panerai are making new sizes to sell more watches. They can't go bigger so they are going smaller.

Every Haute Horologie maker, never mind the standard premium brands like Rolex, are increasingly making bigger watches to hold ever more complex movements and show off cool new materials - carbon, ceramic, etc.. There will always be a great market for the elegant "dress" watch but the average watch from 99% of the makers is gettting bigger. So start doing your wrist curls. :)

I would really like a 42mm Radiomir. I have a 7" wrist, and the 44mm watches I feel is a little on the big side.... I have a MM Titanium Power Reserve, I like it.... But it dont get alot of wrist time because of its size.

I am very glad to see this. I wanted a Radiomir (183) until I tried one on in the AD. The larger size and the way the strap came off the head looked terrible on my wrist. The strap did not wrap correctly. I am pleased to see this.

Dream on boys. Panerai are making new sizes to sell more watches. They can't go bigger so they are going smaller.

Every Haute Horologie maker, never mind the standard premium brands like Rolex, are increasingly making bigger watches to hold ever more complex movements and show off cool new materials - carbon, ceramic, etc.. There will always be a great market for the elegant "dress" watch but the average watch from 99% of the makers is gettting bigger. So start doing your wrist curls. :)

Actually, my local watchmaker that attended Basel last year stated, the Asian markets are where the $$$ is. Not to stereotype or generalize, but many Asians tend to be of smaller build. I think this is driving the downsize the most.

The western markets, especially the USA, where people are getting larger still have an equal demand for larger. Although fashion mavens think smaller and/or vintage are more stylish, and people think in a down economy you should not be flashing a big/blingy watch.

Either way, wear what you like.