When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Feeling a little nostalgic and a thanks to Jimmy Fu...

projectologist

Going through my PB account to do some house cleaning and wanted to post 2 builds that couldn't have happened so nicely without the awesome case set that is known usually just as the "JF" on the forums. The consummate base for many wonderful frankens that have graced the forum over the past 4-5 years. Especially nice because gen parts fit without any issues :)

Here are 2 of mine, one from the past and one current.

First up...

JF case set

JF CG

Caseback Angus/Homer old cartel

Movement DSN?

Gen crown and tube

Gen Dial

Gen hands

1B01.jpg

1B02-1.jpg

1B03-1.jpg

1bfranken06.jpg

1bfranken03.jpg

Next one a year a later. This time the JF was used after a gen 111E part out. I got the gen movement, dial, hands and case back. I decided to go with a gen G series CG I had leftover from another gen part out.

The JF I sourced for this build didn't have a crown tube or bezel, but a great member came to my rescue with gen replacements and a gasket :)

proj2010b.jpg

picapp04.jpg

proj111c.jpg

proj111f.jpg

Later the watch was sold and the movement harvested for a Fiddy franken project. Then a year later I was contacted with a "first refusal" offer to buy back the watch in it's latest incarnation. The movement was replaced with a ST-36 and the 111 case back with a custom 1C from Jakob. The historic CG will stay in place until a nice early series CG turns up.

These last 5 pics are my favorites taken with my outdated iPhone (outdated but still does the job :) )

1cfu02.jpg

1cfu03.jpg

1cfu04.jpg

1Cstrap01.jpg

Is it obvious this L SWISS L dial is one of my all-time favorites?

1cfu01.jpg

It's funny because I was just thinking about my JF builds :) I'm not even joking. Can't do much better than that for a 6502 or 6518 build :) Btw the watch in the 1st pic has a gen crown and tube, and an Angus/Homer old cartel caseback.

Yep, forgot about the crown/tube. Ah, that was a very nice case back. This was a "Zigmeister" build I bought from Watchmeister :)

First of all... WHOA!!!! Very Impressive!!! That some amazing stuff and Rep History.

I have a Jimmy Fu story that goes back to 2005.

I bought CG and Lever set from him. I'm sure you remember how good his sets were. The rubber gasket that went around the pin is still holding up like a Gen after 7 years on my 111.

So I ordered one from him, they were not assembled. And of course I messed it up and broke the pin due to lack of skills and tools.

So Jimmy offers to give me another set for free!!! And since he was about to go on a trip to US from Asia and actually stay close to where I work, he offered to meet up and with me and give me the spare CG.... WHAT a NICE GUY!!!.

He stopped by my work, gave me the CG and we talked for a while, he was wearing an awesome Gen PVD....

That's my story.

J Fu now that's a name i have not heard in a long time... Long before you were born, before the empire.

Beautiful.... I am wearing my JF as I type and its still untouched in rep terms IMHO

Much as it sticks in my throat... ;) I Totally agree with Mike regarding the 6518 option..

Lovely pics to mate... Thanks for sharing :)

First of all... WHOA!!!! Very Impressive!!! That some amazing stuff and Rep History.

I have a Jimmy Fu story that goes back to 2005.

I bought CG and Lever set from him. I'm sure you remember how good his sets were. The rubber gasket that went around the pin is still holding up like a Gen after 7 years on my 111.

So I ordered one from him, they were not assembled. And of course I messed it up and broke the pin due to lack of skills and tools.

So Jimmy offers to give me another set for free!!! And since he was about to go on a trip to US from Asia and actually stay close to where I work, he offered to meet up and with me and give me the spare CG.... WHAT a NICE GUY!!!.

He stopped by my work, gave me the CG and we talked for a while, he was wearing an awesome Gen PVD....

That's my story.

That's a great story. I too have been impressed by random acts and generosity since being in our hobby :)

Beautiful.... I am wearing my JF as I type and its still untouched in rep terms IMHO

Much as it sticks in my throat... ;) I Totally agree with Mike regarding the 6518 option..

Lovely pics to mate... Thanks for sharing :)

Look whos back! :) Do you disagree on 6502? Also, 6518-6523 looks like the same general case shape to me.

LOL!! I would have said that too but if I say to many numbers in one post I go into Bingo mode !! :)

But defo right mate from 6502 and 6518 to 6523 shape wise are all good..... the only clear variations I have noticed are more in the inconsistencies created by the finishing processes rather than the actual case shape ... if that makes sense...

W, how long have you been at this? I am amazed by how far back the experience of this community goes.

You guys must laugh at all this noob and h factory hype.

The days when rep giants walked the earth

Folks be building preVs since before I learned of Vendome 7 years ago from a young salesman whose family later fled the country with the jewelry store in massive debt. The alpha omega saga...

Edited by Jurgenk

This community has, probably the best, most correct and most diverse repository of info. I have never seen an issue where someone can't jump in. It's much easier to know what a watch is about when your looking at the rep and finding flaws.

The only continued ongoing issue is - where is JETMID :)