When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What size Die for crystal press on omega upo45mm crystal

the_rymeister

Hi guys as in the title, I've got a crystal to put back in a upo 45mm and was wondering if anyone new what size die and what type dies I need to press in the crystal.i havnt bought a press yet but am going to buy one with the correct die sizes.are the cheaper presses any good such as this one?

http://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtools.co.uk/mini-watch-crystal-bezel-and-back-press-6-nylon-dies-1406-p.asp

I've never pressed a crystal in or out but I work on cars and it cant be much different to pressing in a wheel bearing just on a different scale :)

Any advise would be great.cheers all :)

Ry

Get the watch warm (set it in a sunny window) and get the crystal cold. Then press the crystal in place with your thumbs, then put a hockey puck on the crystal, set it on the floor, and step on it.

Easy squeasy.

Get the watch warm (set it in a sunny window) and get the crystal cold. Then press the crystal in place with your thumbs, then put a hockey puck on the crystal, set it on the floor, and step on it.

Easy squeasy.

Whhhaaaaa?? Are you being serious? I've got zero experience with this, so I'm in no place to question. But this sounds crazy! Thumbs...hockey puck....stepping on it...

Seems like the next sound I'd hear is "CRAAAAAACK". And the next thing I'd see is little gears, pinions and springs flying all over the room.

If you are only going to press one crystal, you should try to hand press it first.

Nanuqs method sounds a bit radical, but it is quite practical.

If you don't have access to a hockey puck, try this method.

Fit the crystal so it sits squarely above the plastic seat, and take the case in your hands with your thumbs on the case back.

Now push the crystal up against a solid vertical timber surface, a table edge works well. Now push firmly, (even use a bit of body weight behind it) and have a look at what you have achieved.

(This works well for straightening crooked mounted crystals as well)

You need to know the seal is undamaged, and if you have a new crystal, that it is the correct size.

This will work a lot of the time.

If you decide to buy a press ( get it from me :) ) make sure you get some bigger dies from 40 -50mm with it.

Most of the "standard" presses don't have big die sets.

If you do need a bigger set, we have a couple or three-

http://watchbitz.com...d&productId=313

http://watchbitz.com...d&productId=265

http://watchbitz.com...d&productId=418

There are differences with each of these sets, and they fit different machines...read the description carefully.

Offshore

Cheers offshore, you mentioned about a plastic seat, I think I must be missing a part then, I got a handful of parts from a good member on here, I've never taken the topside of a watch apart yet. The parts I have are case, crystal bezel, bezel clicker ring(not sure of correct term) and bezel securing ring. I must be missing the plastic seat. I did wonder how it was going to press straight into the case.

If any one could show me a break down of the parts that hold the crystal in thst would be great, or if anyone has any of these parts kicking around i could buy off you that would be even better.thanks again in advance guys.

Ry img src='http://www.rwg.cc/public/style_emoticons//smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Well I've got my gen crystal gasket in the post and I've tried heating the case on the heater and putting the crystal in the freezer to chill........any I've tried and tried and tried and tried to hand press.. Think you have to be like Arnold Schwarzenegger to hand press these in!! Anyone know if the crystals actually fit with gen gasket. It look like a green plastic ring?

Man, that sucks...

Yeah big time mate, emailed A dealer today and I'm going to order a Upo case set which includes case,crystal bezel and insert all together quite cheap so I'll prob do that at some point :) I suppose it gives me a good excuse to order another rep as I might as well get one when he sends my case set :)

Oh no! That's awful :sad2:

Think it would have worked with a real press or was it that it simply wouldn't fit with the gasket?

You bought a case kit - including the actual case? Isn't that insanely expensive - like $1k or something?

Hi buddy no it was deffinatly too tight with the gasket, may have worked with correct press, I wish it was a genuine case set but it's a rep case set from one of the trusted dealers. still a cheaper option than buying another crystal,gasket and press and possibly going wrong again. Not going up its just easier,it's not my best upo it's just for a beater when I go fishing ect :)

Ry

Before you bust up too many more, i would suggest getting some of these-

http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=15

Then you will know what will fit, and what won't!

The issue with the laminated crystal on the Proplof was causing delamination due to a 0.100mm variation in diameter, so callipers will always give you answers you otherwise won't see.

And unfortunately you may see large tolerance variations between gens and reps, so the callipers will be very handy!

Offshore