When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7032

edgematic1

First of all, I am a total vintage noob, I have no knowledge about them but I'm thinking of building a Tudor 7032, I grew on them lately. I already found lots of info overhere but to get it summarized, this is what I'd need (with some questions):

- DW 7032 kit (good enough for me, I've read the yuki mid case & caseback is better, but I'd like to keep this within a good budget)

- Yuki hands

- 7836 bracelet (where to get it from, Mary? how are the ones Yuki offers and are there any better ones on the market)

- Valjoux 7734 mvt. with 45 seconds counter (what is a good price on this one and where to look for it? on the bay? I've got a watchsmith selling one overhere at €270, fully serviced)

- If necessary, a vintage 7734 datewheel

Other mods:

- aging

- lume

I just would like to know which endlinks the DW case does accept. I thought the gen uses 282 or 589 endlinks.

Edited by edgematic1

Unfortunately the case-backs are not available NOT engraved and the metal is pretty thin so you are pretty much stuck with the "stock" engraving. Rumor has it that justasgood has a steady hand and can deepen the existing laser etched crap... The other band you show looks like the Prince Date style Tudor bracelet. Not sure how correct it would be but they are a nice looking band, I have one on one of my chronos...

Silver%20PDC%20Final%209.jpg

I responded to the OP in Repgeek (reprinted at the bottom).

Also have been looking for a gen crystal but I was wondering what's wrong with the rep xtal?

The DW crystal doesn't much resemble the genuine Cyclope 128. It's a smooth dome with a very tall cyclops, while the gen has a beveled edge and sits lower on the case. (I used to think there was an older type of C128 based on pictures I'd seen, but I think those were just overpolished crystals.) Also, the DW crystal is optically poor, and a bit brittle.

Unfortunately, swapping in a genuine crystal can be tricky. You have to trim the bezel by about 0.5mm, and the crystal fits loosely on the lip of the rehaut. How loosely seems to vary from case to case, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

To address your points:

-DW is your only option for a build that costs less than $1000. He is supposedly going out of business, but I'm sure that he still has 7032s in stock.

-I compared several handsets some time ago. Short answer: Yuki for the main hands, DW for the subdials.

-I've bought several 7836s from Mary. Or you could steal one from a cartel 1655 or 1675.

-EUR 270 is a bit on the high side. Target USD 200-300, but you can find them for less. (I bought a 45-minute 7734 for $150... last month!) Search through eBay for chronographs from the 1970s.

Endlinks are problematic on DW cases. 282s will work, but don't look so great (just like the gen). Neither 589s nor 605s will fit. I just went with the endlinks that came on the rep 7836 (358, I think?).

@ Olivax: look at the post of LHOOQ, he states that you need to trim the bezel with 0.5mm

Thanks LHOOQ for your reply, I've been reading more and more threads and it seems I'd need the Rolex 25-128 crystal, which is quite rare. I have been looking on the net an found some crazy prices on those crystals, however, I've been looking for some aftermarkets as well, this is what I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-25-128-Monte-Carlo-Tudor-7031-7032-7949-/170591220236 (some member already asked about this one but without any replies)

http://www.toggleswitches.cn/25_18_rolex_plastic_crystal.htm

Movement has been bought!

An upgrade to the movement would be a gen Tudor bridge, however, this might be too hard to get. I've found a bridge by NDT, but clearly a rep? Check out the spelling mistake & font difference:

Gen:

genbridge.jpg

Rep (not sure):

repbridge.jpg

With a correct CAD file, wouldn't we be able to get some bridges produced?

This little bridge piece on mine is blank/plain so I guess I can engrave pretty much anything on it I want! Since it is attached with a screw I can probably use that hole to screw it to an aluminum block for holding. I wonder if this part is still available as a repair part and if so would it be plain?

Anybody got a pic of a factory Tudor engraved bridge?