When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Could I get some opinions from you vintage guys....good buy?

maxman

I've never really cared for Tissot...not a hater...they just dont Interest me that much.

But this is a Tissot like have never seen before. I find It absolutely gorgeous....just stunning.

I have been looking Into vintage pieces lately...was hoping to find a sporty/dress watch....something I could dress up...or dress down. I think I found my watch.

The discription is spot on In It's reference to the pre-moonie Omega....right down to the Tissot cal 6965 movement....made by Lemania.

I wasnt planning on spending around $1.500 for a watch atm....but I feel my money would be well spent on this magnificant piece thats around 65 years old.

It has been recently serviced and has a new leather strap...which I would most likely change anyway. It really hits all the right buttons with me....from the tear drop hour markers to the the domed crystal and detail work within the sub dials....just love It.

I was thinking of making a offer...say $1000.00...and see If they come back with a counter offer. I guess it wouldnt hurt.

Any opinions from you vintage guys out there....thanks. :)

Mike

http://www.vintagewa...?p=771#more-771

post-19368-0-75399600-1328217056.jpg

post-19368-0-88100900-1328217105.jpg

post-19368-0-48570500-1328218776.jpg

post-19368-0-60137500-1328285919.jpg

Well you know I have a soft spot for vintage watches. I, personally, like Tissot. Even some of their new lower end automatic chronos look and feel very good. But this watch is a true marvel, form the era of collaboration with Omega. Just look at it - it's perfect. This is how chronos should be made. And in almost perfect condition! A great advantage of this watch it being "waterproofed", which means that you can actually waterproof it, without damaging the authenticity of this amazing timepiece.

I think that Tissot from that era (pre and post WWII) up until late 40's are very sought after collectibles and they retain their value over the years. In fact I think that because these were early "waterproof" models they will only go up in price.

This is a great find, MIke, I think you will love this watch.

Edit: Oh,and yes the price is good, imho. I'd value this watch $1500-$1800. Vintage Lemania from that time can cost upto $600-$800 in any condition. In fact their is a listing for NOS Tissot circa 1935 for $17,000 and if authentic he will sell it for at least 15000. Anyway, If you can get your watch cheaper than 1500, it's a robbery in broad daylight. Go get them :)

Edited by Adeodatus

Check this out: http://www.chrono24.com/en/tissot/stainless-steel-vintage-early-chronograph--id1602394.htm?manufacturerIds=243&urlSubpath=/tissot/pre-owned-watches--used.htm

Also a beautiful watch ,but imho, not even close to the beauty of the watch you've found (silver restored dial, thought) and check out the price: $3000. :bling:

Im wearing a Genuine Tissot right now.. they are one of my favorite brands. Tissot, Oris, Doxa .. likely my favorite 3 mid range brands. That being said I think the watch you posted is priced too high. I don't want to dissuade you if you have your heart set on the Tissot.. But in the $1000 dollar range I'll put out a few of my favorite Chronos just in case...The Vintage Benrus Sky Chief .. The Ollech & Wajs MIrage III which is a new watch running real Valjoux 7750.

The Sky Chief was very popular during the introductory days of Transatlantic flights with Airline Pilots... you can find nice examples for $800-$1200.

Gnomonwatches and Westcoastime have the new O&W Mirage III.

BenrusSkyChief.jpg

*****'

Here's the O&W Mirage III

OllechWajsMirageIII-1.jpg

Edited by OldCorvette

Some very nice examples above...but I just cant seem to take my eyes off that Tissot. :wub: something abouit that silver dial.

That Sky chief is also a thing of beauty. But It dosent mention anything about being WP/WR...and that is Important to me. I just may give them a call on the SC and ask a few questions. That price sure makes It very tempting.

Thanks for the fine suggestions/advice gents....I really appreciate It. :)

Mike

Tissot has made some of the most reliably WP watches in their "Seastar" series.

My son has a 1950's vintage Seastar and it is a solid case- no removable back. It all comes out from the front. Other Seastars have screw-down backs. They are classically styled and are still terifically cheap on the used market, whether solid stainless or solid gold.

Good Luck!

maxman: I encountered a Tissot very similar to that one when I took a trip to Singapore last year. I think it was a bit older, since it had a more ornate silvery/salmony dial, but same three-register layout and Lemania movement. It was selling for about USD 1200, and I sweated over buying it for three nights. I eventually passed--good thing, since I needed that chunk of cash to pay for that Heuer I'd been after for so long! Still, it would've made an excellent addition to the collection. Chronographs of the late 50s/early 60s are beautiful in their simplicity, and I love the neat old 'Tissot' script.

If you can get it for a thousand... Do it!

Again....thanks for the great suggestions and advice guys. One thing for sure...Im gaining a new found respect for the Tissot brand.

I have found some nice vintage pieces around the $800-1.000 price point. but those watches are not In the same condition as the Tissot...not by a long shot In some cases.

Im going to offer $1000.00 and see if I get a counter offer. I would go to $1.200. we will see what happens. I am In love with this watch.

Thanks again guys. :)

Mike

Nothing wrong with Tissot .. Old or New.. This is my Genuine PRC200 - rated to 200 meters WR and it is.. "sacrelige".. a quartz. I bought mine when they first came out.. first one I laid eyes on. I overlooked the quartz for it's strong looks and water resistance.It's probably been in the shower with me over 1000 times as it's seen alot of daily use in the last 5 years. I never use the Chrono function in the water.. I've had no problems or foggy crystal, etc. whatsoever.. tough as nails. It's been a great quasi Mil look everyday wrist rider. Fit and finish.. very good.. overall quality.. excellent- Tissot has been making nice watches for a very long time.

TissotPRC200wrist.jpg

And this is where Mr. PRC200 sleeps.. beside Mr. Titoni Airmaster 25j, Mr.Gruen, and Mr. Kabar.. ha ha

TissotTitoniGruenKaBar.jpg

Nothing wrong with Tissot .. Old or New.. This is my Genuine PRC200 - rated to 200 meters WR and it is.. "sacrelige".. a quartz. I bought mine when they first came out.. first one I laid eyes on. I overlooked the quartz for it's strong looks and water resistance.It's probably been in the shower with me over 1000 times as it's seen alot of daily use in the last 5 years. I never use the Chrono function in the water.. I've had no problems or foggy crystal, etc. whatsoever.. tough as nails. It's been a great quasi Mil look everyday wrist rider. Fit and finish.. very good.. overall quality.. excellent- Tissot has been making nice watches for a very long time.

TissotPRC200wrist.jpg

And this is where Mr. PRC200 sleeps.. beside Mr. Titoni Airmaster 25j, Mr.Gruen, and Mr. Kabar.. ha ha

TissotTitoniGruenKaBar.jpg

Very nice. :thumbs:

Go for it! That's a sleek watch... If you want a non-chrono that's a decent size I love my Omega ref. 2505. 37mm excluding crown and small seconds at 6. It's my poor man's Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk