When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7032 Cleanup

jmb

OK, got both hands back so I decided to do something about finishing this thing up. There are several other things that could be done to it but I'm happy with it the way it stands right now.

Being one handed gave me the excuse to learn a few new CNC commands and I decided to crunch out a new crystal since I cracked the DW crystal the same day I built it. The ID and OD of the crystal are a perfect fit for the DW case so no modding of case or bezel was required. The main thing I didn't like about the DW crystal was it's pronounced "dome" shape. I made this crystal more along the lines of a T19 with the internal and external surface faces having about a 5.5" radius, straight sides, and a 45 degree bevel on the top. I made it just a bit taller than the DW crystal. Anybody who has followed my builds over the years knows I try to get the most "bang for the buck" but in this case I'm not really sure the effort required to turn out a crystal was really worth it when gens are available for less than $200. On the other hand, my cheap gene overrode common sense and prevented me from buying a gen crystal. :whistling:

After polishing the new crystal I epoxied on an ofrei cyclops and called it good. It really needs some more polishing on the inside but the roughness is not really apparent on the wrist other than giving the impression of age.

I used the typical rep 455b end links and after a bit of bending and re-shaping don't seem to me to fit any worse than some of the more expensive ones I've seen used. I left the DW crown in place as it's profile really isn't too bad and I'll reserve my gen crowns to replace the fat-a$$ crowns we are unually stuck with on subs.

Here's a few pics of the finished project and thanks for taking a look:

7032%201.jpg

7032%202.jpg

movement%201.jpg

7032%203.jpg

7032%204.jpg

7032%205.jpg

7032%206.jpg

If I can come up with a tool that will machine Plexiglas without leaving the surface something akin to the texture of an LP then turning out crystals might not be such a distasteful proposition.