When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trusty Time sends me a DOA watch and I have to pay to return it?

eye.surgeon

I've been a member here for 6 years and I've bought a lot of watches. I don't post a lot, but this situation bothers me. I ordered a top-quality IWC replica from Trusty Time and it arrived DOA. The movement doesn't run at all. It seems to me the right thing to to is to send me a new one ASAP and he pays to ship it back to him. I'm not a new customer to him, I've bought from him before. I emailed him to give him a chance to make it right, I don't expect perfection and I understand problems can happen. Instead I am told to send it back, at my expense, and he will repair it. So instead of getting a new watch I get a repaired watch, delayed by weeks because of shipping back and forth, at my expense.

Does this seem right? Am I being unreasonable?

Edited by eye.surgeon

I agree that dealers should pay return shipping for DOA watches but I don't know how they could arrange it. I wouldn't expect anyone to send a replacement without getting the defective one back first. Dealers would send replacements and never hear from some of the buyers again. Meanwhile, the buyers have the original watch on their wrist and the replacement up for sale locally or on the forums.

Edited by It'sAboutTime

Yes, you are being unreasonable. You've been here long enough to know that paying return shipping is always on the customer's dime. Do I agree with that status quo? Not at all, I really don't like it, but I accept that it's the nature of the game :pardon: Seeing the above comment, I'm glad to see that you've come to a resolution with Andrew :good::drinks:

Shipping back to China is a PITA, I'd much rather negotiate a decent discount off an future watch I wanted from the dealer, save on shipping and get the work done closer to home these days.

At the end of the day though it is buyer prerogative to pay return fees, unless you are dealing with a big store that would offer to pay return as a gesture, but that is rare these days.

Yes, you are being unreasonable. You've been here long enough to know that paying return shipping is always on the customer's dime. Do I agree with that status quo? Not at all, I really don't like it, but I accept that it's the nature of the game :pardon: Seeing the above comment, I'm glad to see that you've come to a resolution with Andrew :good::drinks:

TJ +1 This is exactly how the game works.. TJ hit the nail on the head if you like it or not...IT'S then rules and we abide by them..;)

MM

TJ +1 This is exactly how the game works.. TJ hit the nail on the head if you like it or not...IT'S then rules and we abide by them..;)

MM

I think the thing to be mindful of, is the differences between American and Chinese business practices. Concepts like customer loyalty/repeat business etc take a back seat to the ethos of easy individual sales and making money off that bulk, rather than playing the long game :)

That is the reality of this game. I sent watches back to the dealers more than one occasions and they made them right but the shipping expense was on me (about $30 EMS to china from US). Maybe your next order you could ask for some discount if you mentioned the past issue but I have never done that.

If I receive a DOA watch and am a frequent flyer I expect to pay the shipping back myself but not to be charged shipping on the replacement they are sending me. What has clearly changed has been more frequent repairing rather than exchanging but I suspect that has more to do with the cost of the watch.

If you want top notch service and free shipping the prices will have to go up to cover it.. simple economics. just build an allowance for this into the price you're paying.

Personally I'd never return a watch to China.. I've seems dozens of forum disputes start that way. I either repair myself, or send to a non china based service person.

I am not suggesting free shipping. I am suggesting free shipping on the new item when paying the shipping on returning the defective item. And everyone's experience is different. I have always return defective watches and never had a problem. Now it has been more than a year since I had that type of issue but this is also based on 8-10 years of experience when all of the cartel had their little photo buckets. :)

In my opinion, the "Cartel" dealers (and others too..) have adopted this difficult, time consuming procedure to DISCOURAGE returns......If it was easy, and quick, fewer folks would choose the "get it fixed locally" option...As a result, I personally have chosen to very infrequently use their services...

But...that's just MY opinion!! :g: :g:

I don't want to go into details out of respect for Trusty other than to say that he stands behind what he sells.

Haha because he hooked you up I bet! ;) You got another watch or something good! :lol: That's one thing Josh and Andrew seem to be cool about, throwing money or goodies at a problem is a sure fire good business practice.

I'm the original poster and trusty has resolved this situation to my satisfaction. Thanks for your input everyone.

Nice for you to post that Andrew at Trusty took care of you..;)

He try's very hard t take care of his customers!

It all usually works out in the end. I just sent a watch back to China

last week EMS and the cost was $38 from California to China. The only hassle

sending a watch back is filing out 2 forms. One is a custom form and it takes

some time. Other than that, its really not bad...

I shipped another one last month with no problems also...

You get use to it after awhile if you receive defective watches...

It can happen to the best dealers also...

It's not a perfect world,,, and our watches have problems

from time to time right from the shipper...

MM