When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

am i being far too fussy

archierocks

i have been looking at reps now for some weeks even almost ordered a few

i just cant seem to do it when i could save a bit more and buy a second hand gen watch over maybe 3 or 4 replicas

so confused as to take the leap in to reps or not

I would suggest that you take a trip to your local Authorized Rolex dealer (AD) & sample their wares until you have honed-in on a single model. Then, research the cost of pre-owned & compare that to your bank account. if you want & can afford the gen, get it. If not, get a rep of the same watch.

The last thing you should do, when ambivalent, is to buy a gaggle of reps. Especially, when you are just starting out.

I would suggest that you take a trip to your local Authorized Rolex dealer (AD) & sample their wares until you have honed-in on a single model. Then, research the cost of pre-owned & compare that to your bank account. if you want & can afford the gen, get it. If not, get a rep of the same watch.

The last thing you should do, when ambivalent, is to buy a gaggle of reps. Especially, when you are just starting out.

I deal with second hand gens everyday have never bought anything though Ii might get a few reps and keep my eye out for that special one I want that's gen i do have a lot of watches but mostly from the low and mid brands retailing between £95.00 to my rado which was £1200 8 years ago

+1 with Freddy. If you are inclined to own a fewer number of watches, can afford gens and at some level want to in light of your post than go for the gen. I buy reps of watches which I either have no interest in owning the gen of (or want to try it before sinking the money into buying a gen) or watches which are at a price point which I know I will never be able to swing.

In my opinion, some reps just can't duplicate the feel of their gen counterparts. Breitling comes to mind. The bezel action is never quite right on the rep. Modern Rolexes are the same way. I like vintage reps (pre-v Pams, Rolexes ... etc.) and higher end watches that are out of my reach. If you accept the rep for what it is ... a copy that is probably 95% visually the same as the gen (most details are correct) and mechanically 80% of the gen (Asian copy or not the same Swiss movement as in the gen), you will be fine. If you want perfection, stick with gens.

i have been looking at reps now for some weeks even almost ordered a few

i just cant seem to do it when i could save a bit more and buy a second hand gen watch over maybe 3 or 4 replicas

so confused as to take the leap in to reps or not

Stay with genuines if you can :) no point in replicas if you can get a genuine you really want

I buy replicas of watches I'm considering getting the gen of (think of it as an extended test drive), watches I would never want to buy in gen form but are fun to play with (Franck Muller Crazy Hours), or watches which are way out of my price range (PP and VC chronographs, JLC tourbillon) where I'm concerned about plausibility and quality, but not obsessed about absolute accuracy to the gen.

Archierocks, I just posted this in someone else's thread, it applies to you as well:

Not to be too blunt, but your advertising for your services sort of rubs me the wrong way. We have dealers and modders recognized here officially by RWG and then lots more whose skill sets have been disseminated by word of mouth. The board sort of knows about those but we look the other way, as they are not formally here as modders. So you see my dilemma (literally, "two truths").

Please consider toning down the overt advertisement.

Archierocks, I just posted this in someone else's thread, it applies to you as well:

Not to be too blunt, but your advertising for your services sort of rubs me the wrong way. We have dealers and modders recognized here officially by RWG and then lots more whose skill sets have been disseminated by word of mouth. The board sort of knows about those but we look the other way, as they are not formally here as modders. So you see my dilemma (literally, "two truths").

Please consider toning down the overt advertisement.

sorry i'm not advertising anything i just offered to help people track down watches or parts there would be no cash involved in it for me i think you have mislead your self reading my advert offering people help i though thats what forums where for i never once stated anywhere that i charged for that service......