When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Orange Crush: Once Around the PloProf V2 (Lots of Pictures)

lhooq

i-pjZZ38g-X3.jpg

The PloProf is the iconic Omega of the 1970s. It represents a time when the company was pushing watch design to the limit, rather than resting on their laurels, endlessly tweaking the bombé lugs on a Speedmaster case. The 2009 Reissue was a clever update of the old Seamaster 600, but it was also a reminder both of Omega's past glories and its current case of writer's block.

I remember being excited when I first heard about the PloProf being repped. I can't even recall how long ago that was, but out popped the V1 and it looked good--other than a few things that drove the rep community absolutely bonkers. PloProf V2 was a rare occasion when the community's main complaints were addressed (esp. the functional bezel lock), yet the PloProf seems strangely ignored when it comes to making people's Best Rep lists. Why is that?

I get the feeling that there are a lot of guys who feel the same as I do: I love Omega, and I love the history behind the original Seamaster 600. I also thought the PloProf 1200 remake was a chunky yet charismatic watch. But I still couldn't buy it. I thought about ordering one just so I could keep it in my watchbox like a museum piece. I would take it out every now and then, and admire the quality of the replication. Maybe I'd pull out a loupe and examine the caseback under the light. Wearing it, on the other hand, was something I could never imagine doing on a regular basis. The forty year-old styling calls far too much attention to itself. As much as I enjoy when people notice and appreciate the watch I'm wearing, the PloProf was a bit more arch than I prefer.

Luckily, I knew someone who did want a PloProf to wear. He's a watch collector, who is not into reps at all. I brought the V2 up in conversation, while talking about some of the excellent "fakes" that had been made in recent years. He expressed a lot of interest in the Plop, as he'd grown up seeing magazine advertisements for the watch and dreamed of owning one someday. I told him I'd get him one, and I did. This V2 belonged to me for all of three days, and I had the chance to photograph it on one evening. I got this one from Mary of Watch International, who was hospitalized just two days after sending me QC pics. Remarkably, it was still sent out by her husband, and arrived on schedule. She's such a trouper.

My time with the PloProf ended this afternoon when I handed it over to its new owner. It was very rewarding to see his face light up once I brought the V2 out of my watch roll. Also rewarding: His cash.

So let's take one spin around the PloProf, and marvel at the fantastic detail work. It really is everything it was cracked up to be, and I really can't wear it without feeling a bit silly. Congratulations if you can, as it is one impressive hunk of stainless steel.

i-QXBrVBm-X3.jpg

i-Bt9fjqS-X3.jpg

i-3BsphMg-X3.jpg

i-Zf9sVVg-X3.jpgi-LbNZPn8-X3.jpg

i-qm6czw7-X3.jpg

i-pgcFbRK-X3.jpg

i-5Wwh2Lw-X3.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to take shots of the blue lume.

Very nice pics. I am with you on the dilemma of ownership. I really would like to have one in my collection as it is a really neat piece. However, I just can't imagine the circumstances under which I could actually wear it. As you said, it draws just a little too much attention.

I recently had the opportunity to do some repair work on one of these for another member and overall it is one solid piece. However, the hands arrangement is a little weird. In order to get the correct clearances the tubes on the hands are abnormally long, so handle with care. Also, as with any rep, if you really like it, treat it to a service otherwise yours might end up like the one below. So if I may join in, here are a few shots I took as I worked on it so that you may all see the inside of the beast.

P1050409a.jpg

Nice case back construction

P1050411a.jpg

The heart of the beast (2834-2)

P1050412a.jpg

Problem #1: Sweep hand hitting minute hand (turned out the hand was loose on the tube)

P1050418a.jpg

Problem #2: Calendar Driving Wheel explosion

P1050421a.jpg

Problem #3: Chewed up hour wheel

P1050427a.jpg

A few of the movement teardown

P1050566a.jpg

P1050567a.jpg

P1050570a.jpg

P1050571a.jpg

P1050572a.jpg

P1050573a.jpg

P1050575a.jpg

Back together again

P1050583a.jpg

Here you can see the really long tubes I was talking about

P1060318a.jpg

Dial and hands on

P1060323a.jpg

All done :)

P1060325a.jpg

Overall I was very impressed with the watch. Almost to the point of getting one myself.....but not quite ;)

Great post, thanks! :)

I remember seeing ads for the PloProf in NYC early 2010. I did not really like it then, but got to buy the replica last year. Excellent piece!

The replication is very good and I enjoy the funky style, especially on a mesh bracelet!

DSC_7926.jpg

Unfortunately it broke a week after I received it.. I sent it back, got it returned to me.. but again it died after a month.. Now it is at Domi for a service and repair.. Hope it will end well. I have not really got to use it.. :g:

Thanks, all!

krpster: Thanks for the interior shots! It initially comes off as too "Sean John", but I actually like the white PloProf. Strangely, I think it could look more anonymous than the regular PloProf, sort of like when light bulbs are attached to the side of a tank, and it seems to disappear into the horizon. Upon reading that last sentence, I wonder if anyone who didn't see that documentary on camouflage will have any idea of what I'm talking about...

It's worth repeating that the build quality on this rep is exceptional. Hearing the "snrrick" of the diver's extension locking in place gave me goose bumps. And a friend was impressed by the vanilla scent and overall quality of the straps.

red and Adeo: Thanks, but all the pictures in this thread were actually taken with my old G9--still my macro heavy lifter! I've read about using some add-on lenses for the G1X for macro work, but I'll wait to see what the pros can do, first.

Jkay: NEX-7 was heavily recommended to me, but I'm faithful to Canon. Marketing must love me. :)

Only problem with the white version is that the hour and sweep hand are the wrong colour. They should be silver but the factory seems to have just carried over the white hands from the black version. A shame as it is a really big tell and takes away from the quaity of the watch.

• 2 years later...

Very nice pics. I am with you on the dilemma of ownership. I really would like to have one in my collection as it is a really neat piece. However, I just can't imagine the circumstances under which I could actually wear it. As you said, it draws just a little too much attention.

I recently had the opportunity to do some repair work on one of these for another member and overall it is one solid piece. However, the hands arrangement is a little weird. In order to get the correct clearances the tubes on the hands are abnormally long, so handle with care. Also, as with any rep, if you really like it, treat it to a service otherwise yours might end up like the one below. So if I may join in, here are a few shots I took as I worked on it so that you may all see the inside of the beast.

P1050409a.jpg

Nice case back construction

P1050411a.jpg

The heart of the beast (2834-2)

P1050412a.jpg

Problem #1: Sweep hand hitting minute hand (turned out the hand was loose on the tube)

P1050418a.jpg

Problem #2: Calendar Driving Wheel explosion

P1050421a.jpg

Problem #3: Chewed up hour wheel

P1050427a.jpg

A few of the movement teardown

P1050566a.jpg

P1050567a.jpg

P1050570a.jpg

P1050571a.jpg

P1050572a.jpg

P1050573a.jpg

P1050575a.jpg

Back together again

P1050583a.jpg

Here you can see the really long tubes I was talking about

P1060318a.jpg

Dial and hands on

P1060323a.jpg

All done smile.png

P1060325a.jpg

Overall I was very impressed with the watch. Almost to the point of getting one myself.....but not quite wink.gif

Hi :)

did you stil have theses photos of when you worked on a Ploprof V2 , im EXTREMELY interested to see them !!

(please please please)