When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The new pam crowns

Pam

@ Markus - it has arrived. My opinion is at risk of upsetting some - :nonono:

I'm going to be brutally honest here (sorry Markus but it needs to be said) - they are not what we hoped for. The bevel is still the same as the reps crowns. In fact it looks just like a rep crown only thicker as the extra width has been lost with the bevel. I did think that enough photos and descriptions had been posted prior to them being made, but it seems they were largely ignored. There was little wrong with the rep crowns apart from the bevel going too far into the meat of the crown and extending on to the side wall. All that was needed was to have a 1.9mm thick crown with just the ends of the knurled teeth only being bevelled.

Back to sqaure one as far as I am concerned. I will post close up pics tonight.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would certainly be popssible to shave a little off the outer edge and indeed that is what I would do, but the inside edge would be more difficult without some sort of lathe altough I'm sure some people would manage it. Have a look later when I get the pics up.

OK here are the pics as promised. Excuse the crap quality - no time to mess around with photography for this but they should clearly show the problems.

Thickness 2.13, a bit too much but better too much thab not enough (or is it).

22560-1694.jpg

Now the head on look - looks a little rounded, as you will see why.

22560-1695.jpg

Now we see where the problem starts. Teeth only 1.31 wide +/- .1 (difficult to measure accurately) - way too narrow.

22560-1696.jpg

And here's why - our good old friend the overdone bevel. See how it extends beyond the teeth onto the side of the crown. It is not the angle that's wrong but the amount. The bevel should just be at the ends of the teeth only and no more, so all the bevel has done here is to narrow the teeth.

22560-1697.jpg

And again.

22560-1698.jpg

Here is a little reminder of what it should look like.

22560-1699.jpg

Now there is room to remove some metal from the outer edge to reduce the width so reducing the appearance of the bevel, but the teeth are still way too narrow for that to achieve anything- they should be about 1.65 wide. So there you have it - draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for posting the bad news!! :D

That's a damn shame. Maybe I'll get a discount (or replacement?) if there's a version 2 somewhere along the line...

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Have you fitted it yet finepics? If you haven't then don't bother mate. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pics though. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What I cannot understand is that the prototype crowns that were shown in the original old RWG thread on this were damn near perfect, so why the hell are they so completely wrong now!! It would be so much better to not bevel the edges at all then at least the appearance would be much better. The whole crown problem is such a simple thing, I fail to see why it has not been corrected.

Remember these from the old RWG - prototype next to Lello crown (middle) and rep crown. Original thread here:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...=33049&hl=crown

22790-1624.jpg

And the crown protoype that was eventually settled on by everyone

22790-1625.jpg

So how come we don't have this?

Well I am happy with the crowns, they won't pass as genuine but they are better than the anorexic crowns on some of the reps out there.

It would be nice to eventually get a perfect reproduction crown but I can live with these untill then!

Thanks Marcus!

I guess you can see the crowns arrived!

Any plans on a second run of more improved crowns ?

Edited by OldeCrow

"OldeCrow" while you're satisfied with them it's great, but other people may have had more acceptable crowns to begin with. So when they saw what product they are getting they bought them based on the pictures PAM supplied. When you receive something that is considerably different you do get disappointed. I am one of those people, not flaming, just would like to hear his explanation on that.

"OldeCrow" while you're satisfied with them it's great, but other people may have had more acceptable crowns to begin with. So when they saw what product they are getting they bought them based on the pictures PAM supplied. When you receive something that is considerably different you do get disappointed. I am one of those people, not flaming, just would like to hear his explanation on that.

I understand completely, in fact if I had known that these crowns were less than advertised I would not have bought them but by the time the warning went out it was too late for me.

I am in a little bit different situation, I am building a couple of pam style watches and since they are not “reps” they don’t have to be exact so I will get my moneys worth out of the crowns I bought.

I would also be interested in hearing from Marcus on the issue too just to hear his thoughts on the matter.

I am still thrilled to have some extra crowns in my parts drawer though!

Its suprising that PAM (who I know was watching this thread a little while ago) has not responded to any of the remarks made here. After posting my critique I did send him a long email explaining that there is an expectation amongst the members that those who are in a position to give a report do so in a fair an unbiased manner, which is what I did, and he did not reply. I realise that I may have damaged PAM's market but enough advice and detailed photos was given in the run up to producing these crowns so that if they are not right then members need to know especially as they were not the cheapest accessory.

I held off on the purchase of these because there were too many variations in the photos shown... That, witha lack of communication told my little guy inside to hold off on these...

With that, is anyone interested in 3 Lello crowns I have here waiting for a home?

I held off on the purchase of these because there were too many variations in the photos shown... That, witha lack of communication told my little guy inside to hold off on these...

With that, is anyone interested in 3 Lello crowns I have here waiting for a home?

Any of those will fit a PAM63 ETA2893? If anyone else has a Lello crown pls let me know.

Thanks