When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex and Comex

Guest zeleni kukuruz

No.

COMEX divers were using the 5513 when they first reported the problem with the helium, but I don't believe any of them had the logo on the dial.

As the watches during the first testings were serviced with a high frequency and got exchange for everything technically evolved, the possibility that a watch did escape this is close to zero.

Nevertheless you'll find reps which don't have the HV, just because it's cheaper to do so...

Dee

Guest zeleni kukuruz

As i was looking for a vintage gmt box i stumbled iver an old man that have rolex boxes in tons. He also has tones of boxes for patek, tudor ect ect. He said that he hade an old comex case without the he valv. So i asked for pics. He also has many bracelets and parts for rolex watches mostly vintage.

Keep in mind pics are very very bad in fact you cant see a [censored]!

Better pics will come tonight i will then repost them. Dont mind the bracelet in the pic the bracelet is from around the late 70's early 80's.

090a3ef6.jpg

dcfa6d96.jpg

2aea62ac.jpg

Most of the early (pre-release/testing) run of Comex Subs contained a very small number engraved at 6 o'clock, which, with wear & age, may be difficult to see without a loupe (unless you are very close). Most later versions had 2 different sized numbers engraved or stamped into the caseback

5514back0182__-2_tonemapped-box1.jpg

There are also rumours that some of the 1st test watches lacked the valve, but I have never seen any (credible) proof of this assertion.

I'm sure the case backs can be sourced for a price ;).

Now I believe the Comex/HEV valve testing did involve some watches without the HEV as a control test, but I'm willing to bet those were converted to HEV at some point.

Now, if Comex And Rolex ever made a chrono with HEV for those testing, now that would have been a unique piece of tooling. ;) Two registers instead of three and more robust/watertight pushers :D

Guest zeleni kukuruz

This old man cant handel a camera!

He has promised me To take new better pics in a few days! I told him to take pics in daylight and with NO [censored] flash!

854401e3.jpg

85a57be2.jpg

6345dd79.jpg

b536086e.jpg

91fe2fb8.jpg