When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New arrival - Rolex 5513

prospex44

Many thanks Andy! I am pleased with it so far!

I got the crystal along with my 5512 i got from another member.

It is a Sternkreuz tropic 19. The ref number on the crystal pack was XS 303.472. (C19230)

The crystal was a little too big, so i had to reduce the size along the outer edge so that i could get the retaining ring seated back down properly. But some Ploywatch brought that back to life!

Hey Prospex

Interesting that the Sternkreuz xs 303.472 did not fit as it is the smaller of the two available - there is a 305mm and a 303mm. The 303mm fitted perfectly on the Josh 5512 that I sold you without adjustment and was perfectly water proof. I might have put it in the wrong packet - did you try the others?

Good luck with the changes

Regarding the 702/703 crowns...is it possible to take the existing crown off the stem and essentially sand off a bit from the bottom of the crown so that it is then stubbier than before?

You can indeed - stick it in a drill bit and use some sandpaper round a thin blade and just let it do the work. You actually get quite a good result. I found though that an early 703 is the best option as 702 is a fortune and 702 tube almost impossible to get!

Hey Prospex Interesting that the Sternkreuz xs 303.472 did not fit as it is the smaller of the two available - there is a 305mm and a 303mm. The 303mm fitted perfectly on the Josh 5512 that I sold you without adjustment and was perfectly water proof. I might have put it in the wrong packet - did you try the others? Good luck with the changes

Actually, it is entirely possible that i mixed the packets up!

You can indeed - stick it in a drill bit and use some sandpaper round a thin blade and just let it do the work. You actually get quite a good result. I found though that an early 703 is the best option as 702 is a fortune and 702 tube almost impossible to get!

I have to say, that is a great idea!

What does "wabi" mean?

From the Japanese "Wabi-sabi"

It centers around a view or aesthetic which is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"

It just means some attractive wear and tear which might add to a piece's particular appeal!

About that crown... JMB went through this, and tried machining off the back end of a 703 to get the narrow "702" look. Because the wall thickness on a 703 is so thin, the results were poor.

But.... he tried again with a standard MBW triplock crown, and it came out really nice.

There's a thread on it here somewhere.

About that crown... JMB went through this, and tried machining off the back end of a 703 to get the narrow "702" look. Because the wall thickness on a 703 is so thin, the results were poor.

But.... he tried again with a standard MBW triplock crown, and it came out really nice.

There's a thread on it here somewhere.

Thanks, that is good to know. I would just like to take a little off the crown so it would sit closer to the case and not look so big in relation to the lugs. I think it would be well worth a go. If all else failed, then new crown and tube could follow!

I posted this pic earlier, there's a gen 702 and tube in the plastic box.

You can get a gen 703 for 50$ if your diligent on eBay and watch the forums.

A Clark tube is 17$ and your set. Although the 702 is a little shorter than the 703 it's not a radical difference.

A 703 will look great compared to that rep crown.

6bb44c42.jpg

Freddy, What is the crystal you have in your Comex? the one in today's Wristies thread? Is it like a Top Hat tropic? I really like it!

He may not offer them anymore, but it is a domed T19 that I got it from Clarks a few years ago. I like it because it looks like a vintage gen T19, but, being of modern manufacture, it comes without the hazing/cracking/leaking issues of vintage domes

IMG_00312__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

a gen dial yoou are looking at $500 plus

Ditto that.

Here's my 5513 with a stock crown

CG's- modified with the base where the tube sits shaved off for a lower crown setting

crown- shaved off frow below then bevelled

havent finished this yet cuz I busted the movement ..sadly its just in my tool box..

Did i shave off too much??

post-36297-0-86584400-1331881585.jpg

post-36297-0-25250000-1331881600.jpg

post-36297-0-14478200-1331881612.jpg

Edited by bumroxas

Many thanks Andy! I am pleased with it so far!

I got the crystal along with my 5512 i got from another member.

It is a Sternkreuz tropic 19. The ref number on the crystal pack was XS 303.472. (C19230)

The crystal was a little too big, so i had to reduce the size along the outer edge so that i could get the retaining ring seated back down properly. But some Ploywatch brought that back to life!

I just got one from Cousins £4.30 plus VAT

It fitted perfectly onto my Josh 5512 with no need to reduce it in size. It improves the look of the watch completely.

Will take some pix.