When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rotary moonlighting as a Breitling

maccaz

I was at my local Argos today picking up a cheap crappy piece of furniture for my sister and happenedntomnotice their watch selection in a cabinet. Inside there was what looked surprisingly like a Breitling Navitimer:

rotary-chronospeed-chronograph_46456.jpg

In the display, it did actually look very well made and a nice piece, I know it has a quartz movement but I wonder if you could swap a rep Breitling dial on it.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Edit: forgot to say, the main reason I am asking this is because the watch was on sale from £150 to £65.

@maccaz

A quartz Navitimer replica at WatchEden is only 56 UKP ..... Why go through the trouble of converting what appears to be a replica with a "legal" dial on it, when you can get the replica in the first place.

Did I mention their Free Shipping option, as well

The rotary above is £69.99,it has a lifetime guarentee if serviced every 3 years they are fully waterproof to 30m and Rotary are swiss made watches and delivery is free. The company started in 1895. Why would you want to buy a watcheden replica at £10 cheaper that would leak water as no guarentee and if it did arrive DOA would cost you P&P to have it fixed. In my opinion the watch above would make a good beater and what a bargain.Also for the up market watch by Rotary, look at Dreyfuss & Co they are the same company.

The rotary above is £69.99,it has a lifetime guarentee if serviced every 3 years they are fully waterproof to 30m and Rotary are swiss made watches and delivery is free. The company started in 1895. Why would you want to buy a watcheden replica at £10 cheaper that would leak water as no guarentee and if it did arrive DOA would cost you P&P to have it fixed. In my opinion the watch above would make a good beater and what a bargain.Also for the up market watch by Rotary, look at Dreyfuss & Co they are the same company.

Because the OP wants to change the dial. So no water resistance, no warranty, no nothing. In this case it's better to get a rep in the first place.

Because the OP wants to change the dial. So no water resistance, no warranty, no nothing. In this case it's better to get a rep in the first place.

I love the navitimer, however hate the recessed date wheel (probably the 1 flaw I dislike most on all reps).

This watch seemed a good solution to that. The guarantee, waterproofing, the fact its an off the shelf watch was attractive at a first thought.

Thinking about it now, probably not the best idea i have had, was just thinking aloud.

Might still pick one up tho as a beater, plus it did look good in person.

@maccaz

I've got one, bought it used on eBay from a guy in Ireland. I understand its originally sold in a chain of department stores called 'Argos' or something like that.

Its a good beater watch. I like to buy homages before I invest more money and this fits the bill. I get quite a few compliments on it and the strap is pretty decent.

Like people have said, I would just buy it and leave it like it is.

Waterproofing is not an issue for two reasons:

1. The watch has a leather strap, so I would avoid getting it wet anyway, so as to protect the strap.

2. If the caseback unscrews for a dial swap (if the dial was to fit) then the caseback can be screwed back down again tightly enough to ensure water resistance. Just wear a pair of dishwashing gloves, and use both thumbs to screw the back round, and it will remain water resistant. Chances are even the rep will be water resistant. I've had five different chrono reps, none of which had an issue with submersion...

My budget 16610, £32 shipped, a quick check to make sure the crystal was seated properly, the caseback was fully screwed closed, and that the crown was fully closed after adjusting the time, and guess what happened after it went through the shower and a faucet on full force... That's right, it carried on telling the time without a hint of condensation or fogging. I remember reading several years ago about someone paying dealer extras for waterproofing, only to receive something which leaked like a seive, but I must admit, my own experiences in this matter have been a good 90+% positive, it really is not the issue it used to be :good:

As above though, I would agree, and either buy the rep, or keep the Rotary in out of the box condition :good::drinks: