When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 168000/16610 Triple Zero Submariner

redwatch

Not to my knowledge, no. As far as I know, the matte dial never had the surrounds around the markers. When they switched to the markers around the indices, they also switched to glossy dials.

Of course I could be wrong. Rolex did a lot of strange things.

The early gloss dials did 1 of 3 things.

1. Nothing and remained glossy.

2. Cracked due to the lacquer mixture for the gloss creating the spiderweb effect.

3. Dulled due to the tritium and went from gloss to matte.

I think (correct me if wrong) but there were never matte dials with gold surrounds. If you see a matte dial with gold surrounds it is due to # 3 from above. I say this with some knowledge but not all.

• 1 month later...

A little project update for you all. Ended up going all gen on the parts for this. Just need a set of hands to complete the project ;)

Details will follow later with more pics once it's completed, but in the meantime, here's a couple of teaser pics for you:

833df587.jpg

bbc8a5f4.jpg

46c6f19b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice red. The tritium hands to the 1570 should be a bit easier to find then the Tudor ones.

Is this project going to cost more than buying a straight gen? Or did you still save some money by putting it all together?

While it has not been a cheap project by any means, it is still definitely cheaper than the cheapest gens I have been able to find.

Hey Brother: ( I tried PMing you with no luck.

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a Franken 16800 build.

I will be using a gen dial (metal ringed matte finish) and was hoping you could point me in the right direction for finding a correct silver DW for the project.

(one that doesn't have the typical left justified issue.)

Thanks again