When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 168000/16610 Triple Zero Submariner

redwatch

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts! Just thought I would start a post introducing my next little project. I am planning on building a Franken 168000/16610 transitional submariner (the triple zero). So far, I have the following parts:

TC Sub Case Set (rehaut sanded down & soon to have lug holes drilled in it)

Genuine T<25 Spidered Submariner Dial

Genuine Fat 4 Bezel Insert with aged tritium pearl

Need to find a bracelet and the elusive 593 end links for it. Also need to find a nice 2824 date wheel overlay with rounded 3's and open 6's and 9's. Looks like I might have some help on that one with one of our famous modders here ;)

Here's a pic of the dial which is on it's way from New York. Special thanks and kudos to Ubiquitous for finding this dial for me!!! Check out the spider web cracking on this dial!!!! :tu:

RolexDial.jpg

More to come soon ;)

• Like 2

In case you decide not to use this dial I have a 168000 dial! :) no cracks

The cracks in the dial are what make it so special ;) Besides you have to have the dial in the right kind of light to really see them. Otherwise the dial will look aged when you look straight down on it. (At least I think that's how it works!)

The cracks in the dial are what make it so special ;) Besides you have to have the dial in the right kind of light to really see them. Otherwise the dial will look aged when you look straight down on it. (At least I think that's how it works!)

Wow thats really interesting, would love to see that in person. so the cracks are just something that happens over time?

That's gonna be awesome. I wish I was just a little younger so the 168000 could be my birth year gen purchase instead of the 16800. I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly D. Also happened with the 5513's as well. In researching it a little bit more, I did find reference to several models of Rolex's that suffered from the spiderweb dial. It's quite hilarious reading about the "issue" in the gen forums. Most of them absolutely cringe when discussing the spiderweb dial claiming it as being absolutely worthless. Of course, these are the same guys that dislike tropical dials!

Anyways, so far in my research, it seems as though the following Rolex's had issues with the cracking, spiderwebbing or crazing of the laquer: 5513, 16660, 16800, 168000, and the 16550.

Everestx2007sm.jpg

This is my 168000. Unfortunately a number of years back (before a lot of studying) I went to the AD and had it serviced. They put a new dial in it, as you can see. I asked for my dial and they said to get the new dial I had to turn in the old one. I asked that my old dial be put back and they said it was gone. A hard lesson learned.

They did give me the T bezel insert with pearl. Someday that will end up in a project.

Edited by rower