When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1:1 versions, are they worth it?

chronochef

Hello all,

I am really getting into the PAM obsession but find myself becoming confused with all the terms, options and differences with all the versions within the same model. Such as the 111, or the 112.

As a noobie will I find faults in a $125 "beginner" version from toro and the others? Or is it truly worth getting the fully done 1:1 version that can be in the upper price ranges?

I first interest is the look, and how it stands out on your wrist, not so much that I can convince someone else "in the know" that its not a genuine

Even if you go full out for those "legendary" 1:1 models, they never REALLY are!!....Eventually you'll find something that isn't exactly correct...

I have always been quite satisfied with the 21j models in most instances...And Toro has a very decent selection in that range...I have his 024 and am quite satisfied with it...

Even if you go full out for those "legendary" 1:1 models, they never REALLY are!!....Eventually you'll find something that isn't exactly correct...

I have always been quite satisfied with the 21j models in most instances...And Toro has a very decent selection in that range...I have his 024 and am quite satisfied with it...

That was my exact corncern. Shelling out big bucks for an excellent rep, the fact remains it's still a rep. That's the reality that I need to face, I guess.

I would say something different. I do think it is worth spending the $300 or so to get the "1:1" version. It is noticeably better and the flaws are not immediately obvious. With a closed caseback you are really doing fairly well. If you are not trying to achieve some level of accuracy than I would suggest buying an unbranded watch. You can get a real warranty and something that looks close in your price range.

what would be the branded watch?

I am willing to pay 300 for a 1:1 but my question better stated, As a noobie, if I started out with a beginner version, would I be compelled to shortly after to upgrade for. 1:1 or would I be satisfied for a while without longing for a "better" version

Is there an actual value to an ultimate version?

As a person who owns gen and rep versions of PAMs, you're never really quite satisfied with the watch you own.....there's always another grail to get. I think 1:1 is a good investment provided you have a reliable movement and research the best rep makers. It also depends on whether you buy to show or enjoy watches as they are.... If you have the money, I would invest in a good used gen, but there are good reasons to buy reps. Reps are an excellent way to see if you really like the brand and perhaps some specific models.

IMO I would invest in a good 1:1. Also depends on your tolerance level for cost of rep. If you make a good day's pay....no worries. You could also eventually sell it if not happy right?

Edited by davilo

In some cases I humbly (noobie here) argue gens should copy the reps. check out the Pam 390 that has been customized with a Titanium case (original has stainless steal case).

I don't think reps will never be 100% 1:1 ...it would upset the gen companies too much. Perhaps there is a thin line rep factories tread. I'll mention another conspiracy of mine - Reps are made by gen companies as a way to capture additional sales.

Anyway peace to all, really like this forum and the rep factories. Could never own this wrist art otherwise!! Cheers :)

I think it all depends on your personal character , if back in the day you were the sort of person who had his (showing my age) CD collection in alphabetical order the a cheaper version might not be for you. If like some people I know had CD's out of the cases strewn here and there then I'm sure you'll be just as happy with what ever. I've got mates with average reps and they love em. I've got 150$ and they give me just as much pleasure as my $1500 version, Perhaps more so some days. Anyway stuff the watch its really all about the strap and you can easily spend 200+ on a Dirk, GSD or simona. I say start cheap and then enjoy the onward journey

this is a good (and understandable) question for someone just starting out; i'll weigh in and say that for me, for the 1:1 panerai versions that are under $300, i think it is definitely worth it. the fit and finish of these watches is most definitely a notch above -- having owned a genuine panerai, they certainly feel significantly more like the real deal.

as for which version to get, i personally would go with the zero (000); with the closed caseback, it is remarkably accurate to the genuine.

good luck and be sure to post some pics when you end up deciding :victory:

deltatahoe

this is a good (and understandable) question for someone just starting out; i'll weigh in and say that for me, for the 1:1 panerai versions that are under $300, i think it is definitely worth it. the fit and finish of these watches is most definitely a notch above -- having owned a genuine panerai, they certainly feel significantly more like the real deal.

as for which version to get, i personally would go with the zero (000); with the closed caseback, it is remarkably accurate to the genuine.

deltatahoe

+1> Hey B, good to see you. :)

deltatahoe

I like the small seconds so would the 005 still be a good choice? What is the quality of thr rep brown leather straps? Or is the rubber the best choice?

I like the small seconds so would the 005 still be a good choice? What is the quality of thr rep brown leather straps? Or is the rubber the best choice?

You will want to do as most Gen Panerai owners do .. start a strap collection. There are amazing strap makers here who will make great products for you, for not a lot of money. (uh, compared to gen strap prices)

+1> Hey B, good to see you. :)

thanks W -- it feels good to be back at RWG among friends :group:

the 005 would definitely be a good choice; if you want to explore some other models there is a nice summary of some of the better panerai reps available these days in this post.

all the best ;)

deltatahoe

Well I can tell you as a gen owner of mid range watches ( rolex, IWC's, PAM's ) I found I was rarely happy with beginner watches. I found for me, versions with the least obvious flaws I was more happy with. I wear watches for myself and myself only. I dont think a $600 + super rep or franken is needed.

I never look at resale value of watches. I assume as soon as I buy a watch the value decreases.

I'm wondering if the chase ever ends.

Because after all, with display caseback watches showing the movements, it is unlikely that reps will ever reach the gen's level of finish.

For instance, in the best/ultimate/1:1 Noob 111N, you still have the incabloc flaw, which is an immediate tell for anyone who has read about it.

People on gen panerai forums know about this already.

Reps will never be gens. And with the move by virtually all of the more expensive brands to clear casebacks it is now even more difficult. The funny thing is that it isn't that reps aren't getting better. It is the gen manufacturers raising the bar. Let's face it, it is inevitable that gens will have some form of RFID tag or other thing which instantly identifies them as gens. I am amazed they haven't gone there yet.

Let's face it, it is inevitable that gens will have some form of RFID tag or other thing which instantly identifies them as gens. I am amazed they haven't gone there yet.

Interesting thought right there. I was just thinking the other day on how RFID technology can be incorporated as a unique identity tool. Maybe someday...