When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally got my Tudor Monte Carlo parts... Now the fun begins

Ephry73

After a year trying to gather the control and knowledge I finally got the MC parts I wanted to start a build on. I still have questions on what metal bracelet to put on it for those special occasions.What is the consensus on what bracelet to get? I Have a Bund strap from Eric that I plan on using for both the 6239 and the 7032(will be a 7031 when I get the black bezel) for now the 7032 will do just fine. Black dial and will age the hands and markers eventually. Gen Rolex pushers will be installed. Pictures to come later. This has been a long awaited project for me and I have been trying to learn as much as I could in order to start this project. The 7734 movement will be sorted and 45min conversion done prior to servicing. I'm still deciding on a red or carousel DW for the black dial(whether it is correct or not)

Feedback is very much appreciated.

E

Picture update. Nothing fancy but couldn't wait for good light to take the pictures.

++++Update++++

I managed to age the dial in the oven together with the hands
I trimmed down the hour hand, albeit a tad way too much, but looks great still with the missing lume
Lume glow is almost null. Not sure if I will change this to a more practical working SL, but we shall see.
The lume looks old and crackly with just a slight hint of browning
The sub-dial hands are still the DW ones, but waiting on a set from Yuki to do the swapping
**Chiman provided a stem that saved me lots of time and headache and I can wind and set the watch with no issues. Originally I purchased adapters that I still have not received by mail. Chiman, thanks man**
Still need thick enough movement clamps to keep it all together and steady. Still want to swap to the better gen pushers, mostly for water tightness and aesthetics, but Spin says the stock DW ones are good for 3ATM out of the box. I lubed the seals and the tiny o-ring pair in each pusher(what a PITA to do so with no working lupe) and should at least be good to handle the occasional May shower now. I was glad to see a 700 looking crown in the DW kit(see picture). I will lupdate to a 702 with tube thanks to Ubi. The Daytona 6239 will get the 600 gen and tube and the 6263 the gen 703 I have been saving.
Brushed bezel looks great. The DW crystal was dulled, then re-polished and it does not look bad. The cyclops magnification is closer to X1.25 than X2. If the experts could chime in that'll be great.

aa34a47c.jpg
c7b4ee3a.jpg

a942a397.jpg
c7b4ee3a.jpg
Case comparison to the Silix/Cartel Seagull/Lemania 6263
c70dfd37.jpg

The case back is not engraved as I requested. I think a folded bracelet or even a 93150 would be ok with the right end links. The grey Nato currently on the 6263 is one of my favorite and the color will be really nice against the black dial.

What should I be looking at for the black dial? I don't want to age it too much, but don't like the glossy finish that much either. The seconds big hand will be sun bleached very slightly and I will trim the hands accordingly(Until I get the Yuki hands) The case back sits flushed against the case and the gasket seems thick enough to handle the job well. If I can get the crystal to sit tightly and the bezel to be fully seated and use some GS cement I don't see how this watch cannot go spear fishing or snorkeling

Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback.

---Updated pics---

So far the best end links I have tried on the watch are the 580 ones I purchased off eBay last year for the 1665 build. Best bracelet is the folded 7836, but the pictures were taken on a 78360 and 93150 locking clasp. I may need to re-polish the crystal and re-brush the bezel. I placed my order for a folded 7836 from Mary and will use these end links with it. So far everything is working out great with the build. May get some 1665 springbars to use.

DSC_0027-6_zps4b41ace3.jpg

DSC_0028-4.jpg

Black datewheel. None of the 7031/2s had a roulette datewheel. For that matter, I've never seen a black-dialed 7031 other than the one that donerix put together, but that doesn't mean one couldn't exist...

Either a folded 7836 or a solid 78360 is what you want. Endlinks are a whole 'nother headache, but I suggest you buy a cheap 7836 from Mary or the cartel, and stick with what it comes with. Some guys like the Heritage look and put it on a black/gray/orange NATO.

Finally, the 6239 has a lug spacing of 19mm versus the 7032's 20mm, so you'll have to pinch the strap to fit into the Daytona.

Thanks Justin and M. The folded bracelet would be nice. The end links I'm searching for but not going crazy about it. Eric's black faced MC was inspiration for sourcing this one. I have to say I'm a nit disappointed about the engravings as they are not what I asked for at all. Guess its ok though. Eventually I'll try to source a gen crystal. I already have a nice black DW do I'll stick with it.

When I get home tonight. The 7734 came with a carousel DW but I have a black font on the way. Cannot wait to get the movement done. Does anyone have a spare 7734 stem to sell?

@M,

I finally got a 19.23mm Grey NATO strap with sewn sections(not glued or heat welds) that fits just right in the DW case and does not have a huge gap on the 7032.

I got a spare stem, could be that it is still at my watchmaker... Got 3 stems, you can have one, send me a PM. I'm building the same 7032, the movement is with my watchmaker for a conversion. I bought the parts mentioned on the forum for the conversion (3 parts) but my watchmaker says 1 is incorrect??? He's been busy for 1.5month already while he said it would be a peace of cake...

Will you age hands and markers on your own? I can't wait to get mine together...

I got a spare stem, could be that it is still at my watchmaker... Got 3 stems, you can have one, send me a PM. I'm building the same 7032, the movement is with my watchmaker for a conversion. I bought the parts mentioned on the forum for the conversion (3 parts) but my watchmaker says 1 is incorrect??? He's been busy for 1.5month already while he said it would be a peace of cake...

Will you age hands and markers on your own? I can't wait to get mine together...

That'll be awesome. I'll pm you later. The conversion should not be that bad, unless the movement had some rust spots. I'm sendin mine for service then I'll do the conversion myself. Right now I have two 7734s to put a decent one together but we shall see

I'm going to modify the hands and use a combination of Yuki hands and DW hands as pointed out by M. May age them a bit, but nothing drastic. This will be my daily watch for sure. Has the bulk and size and can handle daily wear. The other watches will then get serviced correctly and this way I can complete the builds correctly.

The dial will be aged slightly as well and the markers will just get the crema treatment. As it stands, I have the dial by the window in a little greenhouse so get the weathered look started. ;)

---Update--

Dial was baked with the hands. The hands were modified a bit and the minute hand has shortened to get it close to gen length.

I have a Yuki set on the way, but I like the way they turned out. With the baking the sweep hand looks really good.

E

• 1 month later...

I got a spare stem, could be that it is still at my watchmaker... Got 3 stems, you can have one, send me a PM. I'm building the same 7032, the movement is with my watchmaker for a conversion. I bought the parts mentioned on the forum for the conversion (3 parts) but my watchmaker says 1 is incorrect??? He's been busy for 1.5month already while he said it would be a peace of cake... Will you age hands and markers on your own? I can't wait to get mine together...

Updating the date wheel on this movement was fun. Easier once I did it a few times. SO when I decide to use the correct date wheel on the movement, I will try to give it a light overhaul and install the new hands, etc...

81ab4648.jpg

25ef09b4.jpg
5a1019f8.jpg

I managed to age the dial in the oven together with the hands. I trimmed down the hour hand, albeit a tad way too much, but looks great still with the missing lume. The lume looks old and crackly with just a slight hint of browning. The sub-dial hands are still the DW ones, but waiting on a set from Yuki to do the swapping. Still need thick enough movement clamps to keep it all together and steady. Will love to test the case this weekend for water tightness, but won't have time and the contraption I made to do so is up somewhere in my in-laws attic. Still need to pull it out to test the SSD cases, so we shall see how it goes.

Brushed bezel looks great. The DW crystal was dulled, then re-polished and it does not look bad. The cyclops magnification is closer to X1.25 than X2. If the experts could chime in that'll be great.

BTW, has anyone seen the DW Tudor MC on ebay for 10,800? lol

Thanks for looking guys.

I will take better pictures of all of the individual parts when the D90 gets back in my hands.

@JMB, what end links are you using with the bracelet? I found a set of 580s that fit the case very well. I have a 78360 bracelet but need an extra link to make it fit better. Right now alternating between a sillver/grey NATO and a Bund Eric made for me that is just amazing.

E

Looking very good! But...

The sub-dial hands are still the DW ones, but waiting on a set from Yuki to do the swapping.

You want to keep the DW subdial hands (unless they're giving you problems) and replace the main hands with the Yuki units. Yuki subdial hands are much skinnier than the gen hands.

Looking very good! But...

You want to keep the DW subdial hands (unless they're giving you problems) and replace the main hands with the Yuki units. Yuki subdial hands are much skinnier than the gen hands.

So What I should do is strip and repaint the DW subs and install the full set of Yuki ones. ten Four M. I like the way the oven treatment "faded" the orange sweep seconds and will definitely do the same on the Yuki ones(when and if I get them right now still in the mail) Should the white of the subs be a bit more "stained"?

E

He may reply, but there are several members here that he has taken money from that have still not received anything. Be wary.

Looking good E! I'd hold off and check out the new sub-dial hands from the group buy. They are looking like they will be really great.

He may reply, but there are several members here that he has taken money from that have still not received anything. Be wary.

Me! Me!

Looking good E! I'd hold off and check out the new sub-dial hands from the group buy. They are looking like they will be really great.

I may be changing my mind and joining modelizer's class action. I previously stated that I'd been lucky with both DW handsets I'd received i.e. paint was removed to reveal steel underneath. Well, I just received the hands that I'd sent away to be worked on. The centers of the DW subdial hands are partly yellowed. Curiously, the shortened Yuki minute hand is also showing a bit of yellow on the tip. Nuts.

I may be changing my mind and joining modelizer's class action. I previously stated that I'd been lucky with both DW handsets I'd received i.e. paint was removed to reveal steel underneath. Well, I just received the hands that I'd sent away to be worked on. The centers of the DW subdial hands are partly yellowed. Curiously, the shortened Yuki minute hand is also showing a bit of yellow on the tip. Nuts.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that M. However, this seems to be the most common result when removing the paint from the DW subdial hands - if they do turn out steel I think one should be considered very lucky. But the subdial hands on the set we found - and is about to place a group order on soon - looks very good and should need no modding.. *knocking on wood*

Damn that sucks. I may just remove the paint with a blade. After baking the hands the paint was very flaky.

E

E - great project - there is a stunning set of GEN high res pictures in this sales thread :clap2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-MC-7032-0-Home-Plate-Tropical-Dial-Serial-756-XXX-/320895998820?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4ab6e45b64#ht_15029wt_1202

• 2 weeks later...