When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Extinct SMP?

demil118

Hey guys,

Am i the only one having a hard time finding a decent blue SMP? Talking about the "updated" model with the red seamaster lettering on the dial...... NOT the quartz model dial with the red seamaster lettering at the bottom, but rather uptop, under the omega logo.(pic below) Ive found one so far, but its really not excellent. The caseback looks a little shifty, among some other shortcomings, (i dont think im being THAT picky.) but i will purchase if i have no luck elsewhere.

I have searched high and dry, emailed every TD on here, and then some. Joshua said "it is no longer made," but i just wont belive theres nothing else out there?

So i figured id see if anyone else is having the same problem.....Or maybe your not having the same problem, and you want to sell me yours ; )

Any help/opinions greatly appriciated.

Thanks!!!

-Justin

post-44038-0-47861000-1334197488.jpg

I don't think there ever was a particularly good rep of this.

SMP rep standards have declined gradually since the heady days of the 40th Anniversary Bond rep with A2892 movement and the 'closed factory' rep with ETA2824. Neither were 100% perfect but both had SS straps that could accept genuine parts, and all the Bond needed to make it 100% was a gen bezel and dial.

IIRC all the 'reds' have been disappointing by comparison, with 1-piece end links and screws rather than the gen pin-and-tube arrangement in the bracelet and inaccurate dials.

• Like 1

You're about 4 years too late.. There was a really good 2824 based rep, I sold one a couple of years back. It was pretty good, proper end links, very good case, etc. then there is the holy grail, the Asian 2892 based 007, and in fact there was a black bezel regular sea master version of that too but very rare.. My 007 is safely in the watch box.. It's never getting sold, although I can only guess what it might fetch today. The quality of that is exceptional, right up there with the modern 1:1's. Mine still rates as one of my best reps ever, and trust me, I've had quite a lot :-)

I can only suggest keeping an eye on the used market and see what comes up. Unless another production run gets done I don't think anything new will happen.

• Like 1

Yep. closed case is the only way to go, shame they are as rare as rocking horse s**t these days. There was one for sale over on rwi recently so they can be got, also for sale separately was a 2221.80 dial and hands as above for dirt cheap, something like $150. It is doable but a lot of hassle finding the parts. less hassle to just buy a 2nd hand quartz gen tbh.

Yep. closed case is the only way to go, shame they are as rare as rocking horse s**t these days. There was one for sale over on rwi recently so they can be got, also for sale separately was a 2221.80 dial and hands as above for dirt cheap, something like $150. It is doable but a lot of hassle finding the parts. less hassle to just buy a 2nd hand quartz gen tbh.

Both those sale threads were mine :)

I gave away the gen dial + hands for almost nothing!

It took me almost a year to find that closed factory SMP. It's one thing finding a case that takes gen parts, it's another finding one with the correct HE valve placement + reasonably accurate CG's. Both versions of the cf case existed 4 years ago.

I have one last closed case in my box which I'm building my final franken SMP with.

Edited by om3ga_guy

It took me almost a year to find that closed factory SMP. It's one thing finding a case that takes gen parts, it's another finding one with the correct HE valve placement + reasonably accurate CG's. Both versions of the cf case existed 4 years ago.

I have one last closed case in my box which I'm building my final franken SMP with.

Did you get those closed case smp's from mary????

excellent info! thanks a bunch, i guess i will give in and check out the chrono version : (

-r11co, what do you think of the smp that angus has???

Both the blue chronos (original and 2008 update) look pretty good. If these haven't changed from the models reviewed elsewhere in this forum then either is a good bet. IIRC both use screws in the bracelets but that is about the only (minor) issue other than the usual incorrect date font of the A7750 which is a relatively easy fix.

PS. Looking through Angus's site - just how many PO reps are there now!!!!?!

Most of the hoopla with OMega reps today are the Planet Ocean line. Definitely a great watch without the mods - definitely kick ass with mods.

Not sure why the factories will not produce a new link of SMP? I see they are turning out the Breitlings, Pams and other brands, but Omega is left behind - very sad.

Here's some of my modded pieces (gen dials, hands, some have gen inserts, etc.) from the past - now part of others' collection. :(

IMG_1650-1.jpg

img1386n.jpg

img1381zbi.jpg

img1384m.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

DSC_0188-1.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

Excellent work om3ga_guy, worth having a build like this, classic watch. Also triplehd, some really great smps there, shame they had to be sold, its difficult selling custom builds, the buyers really can't appreciate all the blood sweat and tears that went into finding parts and doing the build....and you cant really charge for those things!

Excellent work om3ga_guy, worth having a build like this, classic watch. Also triplehd, some really great smps there, shame they had to be sold, its difficult selling custom builds, the buyers really can't appreciate all the blood sweat and tears that went into finding parts and doing the build....and you cant really charge for those things!

+1 :)

Also triplehd, some really great smps there, shame they had to be sold, its difficult selling custom builds, the buyers really can't appreciate all the blood sweat and tears that went into finding parts and doing the build....and you cant really charge for those things!

True - you should have seen the new tears from me when i posted these pics :( lol.

The dial is dead giveaway , a gen dial would transform it.

To be fair, the dial he used is from a 2230 and not a 2254. It is a common mod that the gen guys do to get applied markers on a 2254 watch. Many of them also use a PO seconds hand which some think compliments the other hands. Either way, that watch looks pretty friggin good.

TripleHD - Are the gen dial and hands a direct swap on to the 50th anniversary Omega GMT (2234.50)? I've never seen anyone else franken that rep and I absolutely love the one you built! Specifically, do the hands fit without adjustment? Thanks.