When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skinny wrists

maverick86

Guys, I'm new to the forum, and just looking for a bit of advice really.

Been browsing for my first rep, and what kind of watch I like...

The hublot and bell and Ross watches I have been drawn towards, as well as the uboats, but I'm not sure if any will suit my wrist as I'm about 6" (16cm)

Any advice or photos that may help would be greatly appreciated :)

I have skinny wrists myself...about 6.1 inches

Experimented with 40mm rollies, 44mm and 47mm Panerais...decided that any size above 44mm just looks ridiculously clockish...that's just me~

if you are able to go to a Hublot or B&R authorized dealer (AD), go try it out with the sales guys....

It's all relative on sizes...some like it big, others smaller...

Your wrist shape is more important. f your wrist is flat on top larger watches(44mm for me) lok o.k. If your wrist is more rounded, maybe smaller lime 40mm would be better.

Ok, so as I had thought anyway, I'm guessing the 55mm uboats are out! Lol

Most of the hublots are around 45mm, from the limited research I've done, would that look ok? And as you said, I prob have quite a flat wrist:

f9adfa99.jpg

At 6.75" for me, anything over 44mm looks too big. I can wear down to a 36mm, but mostly stay in the 40mm-42mm range.

For you, I'd guess a DateJust, Submariner, IWC 3717 and MKVI, Omega 42mm PO, Breitling SFSO (among others) would all work. It's not just case width that matters with small wrists either. Case height is important too.

I think the square B&R models look wrong on me, so I'm not sure how they would play on a smaller wrist. Not a fan of Hublot, so never tried one on.

And yes, UBoat and Graham are probably out ... :)

Regarding Hublots, the strap may not conform enough to your wrist - it will stick away from your wrist one either side of the lugs.

I have 6.5" wrist, tried on an HBB at the AD, did not care for the fit.

Buy a low priced 42mm watch and se how it wears or go try some at a AD. If you dont like going to the AD try the high street shops. For me the 42 looks small and 44+ looks big. But ofcourse that depends on the watch. Easy right? ;p I would try the Ebel 1911. Its 43.5mm and not to shulky. And its a AAAAAAAA+ rep ;P

Ok, so as I had thought anyway, I'm guessing the 55mm uboats are out! Lol

Most of the hublots are around 45mm, from the limited research I've done, would that look ok? And as you said, I prob have quite a flat wrist:

f9adfa99.jpg

You can wear any damn size watch you want to but please not Hublot,,,,42mm watch is perfect for you and 45mm will be ok too

I stole this from ahm a different forum which i found useful.... welcome to RWG it great to see someone else from this wee province

**EDIT**

I hope you've all seen Good Will Hunting. It's a film about a maths genius.

Anyway, changing the subject, ultrastapler of this fine forum has kindly provided a useful determinant of wrist-to-watch size using a new reference: Ultrastapler Measure (UM).

See thread for details of his working, research funding, potential Nobel nomination and forthcoming white paper. :D

Anyway, this is how it all started...

Rather than us all having to comment politely every time someone with a 6" wrist wears a 45mm watch ('so long as he's happy, that's the main thing') perhaps some guidelines would help. My tongue is firmly in my cheek here but it may work. :)

The Wrist-To-Watch Ratio (WTWR).

From now on, if you see a watch that looks too big ask yourself whether it satisfies the WTWR. Just divide the size of the watch by the wrist size. To kick us off, I'll suggest that anything below '6' is fine (and anything above '6' might look a little large). Your opinion may differ, though. It would be good to hear whether consensus can be reached or whether it cannot. :)

Example:

Wrist size -----------Max watch size (exc. crown)-------------- Ratio

6.5 inches ------------- 38mm --------------------------------------- 5.84

6.75 inches ------------ 40mm ---------------------------------------- 5.92

7 inches ---------------- 42mm --------------------------------------- 6

7.25 inches ------------ 42mm ---------------------------------------- 5.79

7.5 inches ------------- 44mm ----------------------------------------- 5.86

Comments welcome - is the sizing right in your opinion? How should it change?

Don't forget, people can (and do) wear what they like. In that case, your opinion isn't needed. This is just a guide to help those who aren't sure and would like an opinion (not just a 'so long as you're happy' comment).

Just a bit of fun. :)

The hublot and bell and Ross watches I have been drawn towards, as well as the uboats, but I'm not sure if any will suit my wrist as I'm about 6" (16cm)

Go to the official Bell and Ross page. They have print-outs of their watches that print 1:1. You just cut it out and wrap it around your wrist and will get a very good impression about the size. Of course the height might still be an issue.

I also recommend you do this with other watches. Just find a picture of the watch in question that was shot from the top, print it out a couple of times while playing around with the scaling until you get a print where the size matches the real deal. Cut it out, put it on..

;)

44mm panerai seemed a bit too big for 6.2"

Various 42mm watches seemed okay.

43mm navitimer was also okay.

46mm navitimer world was a no go for sure.

But then just rocking a really small watch on a small wrist is also not so great.

One thing I can say is that the dial to bezel ratio seems to be important.

A 42mm that is all dials (like in a dress watch) looks a lot larger than a 42mm that has thick bezels (like a sporty stainless steel watch).

Edited by nlnlnlnene