When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the TC sub all that it's cracked up to be?

cougar1

Serious question, I'm not as well informed on subs as some other watches and would appreciate comments from people in the know about subs. This is the standard no frills 16610 rep I'm asking about.

I see tc has a nicer case, i.e. better crown guards than the bkwm9 v3, but not by much, I think the difference is probably overplayed a little? We are talking 0.3mm or something. I also see the tc does accept gen parts, i.e. movement etc.

But out of the box, all I see is wm9 v3 having better dial, better lume, better insert, better crystal? ....possibly even better toothed bezel etc? TC is slightly cheaper granted, but when rehaut shaving (most want this) and new insert are taken into account the price is not so far off the bk. TC probably has the better bracelet?

So why are all these people falling all over themselves across all the forums to sell off their bks and buy the new tc? I can under stand someone who wants to almost do a full franken with 3135 intalled but for just doing the basic mods...gen insert/pearl, gen crystal, gen crown; is the tc so much better?

I'm not being in the least bit critical of either tc or bk v3, I'm just curious to know what all the fuss is about? Could someone fill me in on the real benefits of one over the other?

You said almost everything, the possibilty to accept gen parts is the main advantage, and almost everyone willing to spend around 800-1000$ will upgrade his sub with gen parts, otherwise they would prefer a 300$ standard rep. That's my opinion. In addition I guess there's also the Mac effect, how many people upgraded their Iphone 4 with a 4s only because it's newer? But the fact that you don't see people posting their Bk or Noob sub doesn't mean that they stopped buying them ;)

• Like 1

I'm sitting on the fence in anticipation of buying a TC sub and have not committed yet because of the very same reasons Cougar. I'll be following this thread with interest!

I'm torn between the two and have had a hard time deciding which to get, I'm a lume freak and the BK has the edge so far. But if the TC is a better overall case I could always have the dial and hands relumed if it's not good enough.

Can't wait to hear the responses from the TC/BK owners!

• Like 1

Yeah I agree about the gen parts, especially the movement, but the bk also accepts gen parts....well the main mods that most people will be interested in such as bezel insert/pearl, crystal and crown. I'd imagine just judging by the amount of people now moving towards the TC sub, only a small percentage of these will go the whole hog and do the movement swap also? I guess the question is who has the better basic modded sub? :D

The TC with gen crystal/insert/crown or a Bk with gen crystal/insert/crown?

Edit, Just seeing your post now duke1973 ;)

What interesting is that Bk says he will be offering the WM4 (tc sub) case in the future, but at a different price point.

I'm for one is going to hold out for the 3135 to be ready for prime time and then jump in and build a BK super franken (gen insert, dial, crystal, crown, bracelet) with a WM4 case (it maybe a WM5 by the time the 3135 is viable).

• Like 1

What interesting is that Bk says he will be offering the WM4 (tc sub) case in the future, but at a different price point.

I'm for one is going to hold out for the 3135 to be ready for prime time and then jump in and build a BK super franken (gen insert, dial, crystal, crown, bracelet) with a WM4 case (it maybe a WM5 by the time the 3135 is viable).

That will be a very interesting release, wait until we see the frenzy for bk's wm4 when it goes on sale :D

I haven't followed the TC developments. Do both versions have proper crown positioning? Do they both take gen or pseudo gen movements?

I believe that the TC has CG's cut very similar to wm9v2 but has high crown positioning similar to the v3, it looks very good in fairness in some pics but I'm not sure it's as dramatic as some threads on it?? The TC will apparently take full gen and pseudo gen movements straight in.

I just got one and should post a review comparing all of his parts to OEM.

They are very good and worth the money from my opinion. Although my mid-case had thinner crown guards than it should and the rehaut engraving is horrible, the bezel assembly, crown and tube are the best I've seen. ;)

I made an ultimate sub by combining the best from Sean and TC's sub with OEM movement dial, hands and insert. Love it!