When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 comparisons.........MBW to Gen

Justasgood

Brain fart... I meant canvas and have been looking for a nice one like that.

Yo that I agree, the flat part behind the crown could need a little more shaving:)

But I think the CG is OK on the inside and outside!

Maybe just a little bit on the OUTSIDE at the "base" of the rounded part of it:)

we are being realy picky here with the CG discussion though

But the point that i was indicating my be mute when you compare it this way

1680cg.jpg

This the one RA shows with mine over the top, now mine is all gen, recently serviced you will note that rolex do not get into champfering the case to seat the crown tube and to have the crown end flush with the case. you can clearly see light shining through, now if my crown screwed all the way down then they may just look the same.

Reason not to have the crown base flush with the case is that if the tube is set to low and the crown bottoms out on the case before it compresses the gaskets properly could result in a leaky crown, and i have seen this happen (on a rep)

Also as an asthetic point, like the little gap as that is how they come back from servicing, almost all the time.

we are being realy picky here with the CG discussion though

But the point that i was indicating my be mute when you compare it this way

1680cg.jpg

This the one RA shows with mine over the top, now mine is all gen, recently serviced you will note that rolex do not get into champfering the case to seat the crown tube and to have the crown end flush with the case. you can clearly see light shining through, now if my crown screwed all the way down then they may just look the same.

Reason not to have the crown base flush with the case is that if the tube is set to low and the crown bottoms out on the case before it compresses the gaskets properly could result in a leaky crown, and i have seen this happen (on a rep)

Also as an asthetic point, like the little gap as that is how they come back from servicing, almost all the time.

Thanks Andy for the advice :)

On my TC sub the genuine crown "bottoms" when I screw it completely down ( but it looks nicer than when it is NO space between the crown and the case!) !

So I guess I will change the tube ( to a genuine one!) as well!

BUT the TC crown does NOT "bottom" ( on a TC tube!) so I guell the crows are different in construction :g:

I was actually referring to the base of the crownguard where the tube sits. on a gen like FixAndy's and mine, the spot where the crown tube sits is even or just slightly hidden by the edge of the bezel. This is a tell on some reps IMO. To fix this, the tube needs to be removed and this area taken down for the proper look.

The crown shouldn't bottom out on the case. Yes, there should be a slight gap. Very small but evident. FxrAndy's is greater then mine. I wouldn't care for the one on Andy's watch personally. Too big for my tastes.

FxrAndy, how does your crown line up? Is the rolex crown straight up and down or off? I was lucky in that both my 16800 and my 1680 are properly lined up.

The crown does not line up at all and it is pure luck when it does on any Rolex when you think of the variables with two screw threads and the differences in gasket between new and old ones. Also mine is as it comes from an RSC but the picture exaggerate the gap because of the back light