When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have You Ever Been Caught...

Devedander

So there are plenty of stories about fooling AD's and such... but considering how much money is paid (let's face it a few hundred just isn't chump change...) in the persuit of removing the tiniest flaws, I am wondering how that investment pays off.

Namely in what happens when that investment is not available and you are wearing a watch with flaws...

I would assume the majority of the time anyone gets caught out on an rep would be when you just happen to be wearing the same watch as someone else and get a comment like "Hey is that a 007 Omega Seamater? Nice! I have the same watch... wait... yours looks different somehow..."

So if you have ever been outed wearing a rep, I would love to hear about it! The one about he wife outing the Sub was great, but there must be ones to top even that! :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The odd thing with me is that most of my friends know that I am into watches, so when I have a new one they ASSUME it to be genuine. When I tell them it is a fake (because I always do, I think it's cooler) they often do not believe me. I find myself in an odd position of arguing that it is in fact fake while they shake their heads and argue that they MUST be genuine.

On the other hand when I spot someone with a fake I trhow a bucket of red paint in them and laugh.

So if you have ever been outed wearing a rep, I would love to hear about it!

The only time I've been called out on a replica was when the person knew it was a replica beforehand.

In other words, I've never been caught out. It doesn't happen. I don't even get the "It's a Rolex, it must be a fake".

Hmm... so no one has been legitimately called out on their rep (I don't necesarrily mean someone was an ass about it, but I mean someone spotted it and let you know somehow)?

I have the exact opposite problem as tvt... since I am not a watch guy and almost certainly wouldn't buy a Rolex most of the people who know me saw my rolex and before I eve gave them a close look said "so you pick it up at some stall in China?"

It's not an interesting story, but I guess I was technically called out (probably a lot attributed to people konwing I just went ot China, then came back with a Rolex) and it does back up the theory that it's not the watches merrits that will be called out as a fake, but rather whether you can pull it off believeably...

People I work with been amused at my watch collecting of late and I have told them that they were reps, however only compliments have been given from others. :D

It's not an interesting story, but I guess I was technically called out (probably a lot attributed to people konwing I just went ot China, then came back with a Rolex) and it does back up the theory that it's not the watches merrits that will be called out as a fake, but rather whether you can pull it off believeably...

Indeed, this is the case.

I'm a very young looking 40-years old and wear t-shirts and jeans usually, but most people I work with know I'm well enough paid to have some of the toys I like. However, did you know that most people would assume a fancy watch cost hundreds of dollars instead of the thousands they really cost?

If you ask most non-watch people how much an Omega watch costs, they'll guess at $300. Try it; you'll be amazed.

If you ask most non-watch people how much an Omega watch costs, they'll guess at $300. Try it; you'll be amazed.

That's exactly right, and Panerais even less (funny how the non-WIS can sense that, based on materials and per-piece mass production costs alone, both Panerais and Omegas probably should sell in the 300-500 range--the intrinsic value on those watches is the name, which have no meaning to the non-initiated.)

Anyway the only time I've been legitimately "called out" was by the PAM WIS ninny at the local AD--don't forget that probably 95% of the people who would say "nice fake, buddy" couldn't begin to tell you why the watch is a rep--they're just making assumptions.

My obsession w/ accuracy is just a part of the fun of the hobby. Deep down I know spending 500 bucks on mods likely won't fool (or not fool) a single one of the people who meet me. Normal people don't know what sub crown guards are supposed to look like, and don't care to know.

BTW, if you ever do get called out by an in-the-flesh paneristi I reccomend saying, "Did you actually think I'm stupid enough to pay 5 grand for a $500 watch? I'm insulted."

One day I was getting dental-surgery, and the surgeon asked about my Panerai 183.

He thought it was a fake because Panerai's have a typical crown guard, and he proudly showed

his own panerai.

Somehow this remark made him look stupid and not me, and let me wondering how someone could spent

so much on a watch and know so little about it.

One day I was getting dental-surgery, and the surgeon asked about my Panerai 183.

He thought it was a fake because Panerai's have a typical crown guard, and he proudly showed

his own panerai.

Somehow this remark made him look stupid and not me, and let me wondering how someone could spent

so much on a watch and know so little about it.

Did you tell him yours was a gen?

Indeed, this is the case.

I'm a very young looking 40-years old and wear t-shirts and jeans usually, but most people I work with know I'm well enough paid to have some of the toys I like. However, did you know that most people would assume a fancy watch cost hundreds of dollars instead of the thousands they really cost?

Yes I have noticed this... in fact I was part of this until recently...

The people who don't suspect a fake on my wrist usually say "You bought a Rolex? Why would you spend $1000 on a watch?" $1000 is the most I have heard anyone say...

Most of my friends think a new Rolex probably goes for as much as $500-600 and Rolex is the only brand that might cost that much... the other "luxury" watches might cost as much as $300 and most of them (myself included until recently) think Omega is about on par with a Fossil. :blink:

But all this does make me wonder... if you can get a cheap but decent looking rep for about $60-100 or a 95% for $400 is it really worth the extra $300? Because if you were going to fool someone, they probably didn't know much and were fooled the minute they saw "Rolex" and if you aren't going to fool someone the extra details don't really matter, they were going to catch you out one way or the other...

Edited by Devedander

I think I was "caught" once but no one actually said anything.

I was in Vegas with a friend and I was wearing a pretty good Paul Nueman Daytona... the gen is a minimum of 50K so watch people would notice it.

My freind wanted to go to Tourneau and I generally would not do that with a fake on (not for fear of being caught but just because I might get self concious and I also feel it is a bit insulting. I know they will not call me on it to be polite and meanwhile I look like an ass.)

Anyway, he really wanted to go so I said what the hell, I contimplated taking it off but for whatever reason I just wore it. The SECOND I walked in the door, and I mean literally like the very first step in, a guy comes up and says "Wow, GREAT watch!". Then he calls over his friends. Several other sales guys come over and I realize that I am scrwewed here because these guys know watches.

No one asks if it is fake or not, they just start saying stuff like "Man, Paul Nueman's are incredibly rare, where did you get it, woud you ever sell it? " etc. So I kind of blow it all off and try to be low key and then they call over a manager to look at it. I think the first sales guys thought it was legit. The manager comes over and all the guys ask me to take it off so he can see it. I say that it is a special watch so I don't take it off but I held it up for him to see. He nodded politely and just kind of said nothing. The other guys went on and on about it and the manager just sat there silently.

I am 99.9% sure that the sales guys honestl;y did not know it was fake but the manager did and decidednot to embarass me (as ANY sales person would choose to do and why the "I tricked my AD" posts are so meaningless.)

I finally broke away and cringed at how I must of looked to them when I left. If I could do it again I simply would of said, from square one "Oh this thing, no, it is fake..." I ALWAYS tell people my fake watches are fake but somehow this just kind of crept up on me and got out of control.

As for the dental guy who thought the 183 was fake because it had no crown gaurd... funny, but not surprising. Most people who buy expensive watches simply walk into a store and get sold something. The sales guy probably told him that Panerai was the "hot" watch of the moment and so he went for it... no real understanding about it. Hell, most people who know a LITTLE about Panerai actually think it was the watch of the Italian navy and other such marketing nonesense rather than being a slightly over 10 year old company which it is.

Ouch... something tells me indeed the manager did.. I mean he might have just had enough class not to paw at you to see your watch (I appreciate a compliment on things but I don't think it's nice of sales peopel to clammer all over you even if it is in awe) but in that case he probably would have ordered his sales people to back off also.

I wonder what they would have said had you just proclaimed it was a fake?

I wonder what high end watch shops think of rep owners... especially if they are good reps...

I mean if I walk in wearing a "Rolodex Queretual" digital watch obviously I fall under the radar and it's one of those "I am sorry, I am sure we don't have anything in your size" situations, but what do you suppose they think of the good reps? I mean on one side they must look down on them, but on the other I wonder if it makes them realize how bogus what they sell is (by this I mean they don't sell watches, they sell prestige and membership to an elite club, the watch is kind of a free memberhip card).

Edited by Devedander

Well I have discussed good fakes with knowleable guys at watch stores.

now to be fair I do this while wearing a gen and I also slightly disagree that all they are selling is a membership to s snob club. I mean I DO agree that with ANY luxury item the elite status is the MAIN reason most people buy them. However I also see a large quality difference between gens and fakes (just today for example a new PAM 87 arrived to me totally dead... muct be sent back. I doubt to many gen PAMS come that way).

ANYWAY... I have discussed the higher quality fakes and in general he repsonses are fairly informed and even appreciative of how far they have come. I have had guys tell me that they have seen a lot of good fakes (which may be a low key way of saying they own them) and that they are really close. I have had guys tell me that there is no way they would ever know a good fake PAM from a gen unless they examined it closely.

So overall I think MOST guys who are into watches are sort of intrigued by good fakes. What they probably don't like, and niether do I, is the idea of TRICKING people into thinking a fake is a gen. This is why I felt like such as ass in Vegas when I sort of unwittingly ended up being put in the situation I was in.

In general I ALWAYS tell people a watch is fake if in fact it is and the reactions I get are more interesting and fun than if I lied.

Im 21, everyone my age wont believe i got a daytona, cartier's, tags, bvlgari. unknown people do, but all who know me dont. Besides here in my country 90% of rolexes are cheap reps. even the dishwasher at my restaurant has a nice looking daydate. and the grill cook has a breitling tourbillon. one of my bossess has a daytona Invicta EWWWW

That brings up a funny observation I have made:

Does ANY car salesman own a GENUINE watch?

It seems like some sort of standard issue uniform for car salesman. Almost like a law, if you sell cars you MUST wear a fake watch.

It is so silly and so often these guys look like fools.

If you are into watches and happen to collect fakes then great, but every car salesperson I have seen with a fake (almost all of them) just are clueless.

I was at an Infiniti dealership and I see this guy wearing a "Panerai" so I mention it to him without referencing watches. In other words I just said "Nice Panerai" not "Nice watch". The guy looks at me like "what the hell are you talking about?" and says "huh?" I said again, without looking at his wrist... "Nice Panerai" He had no clue as to what I was talking about, I think he MAY have thought I was talking about Panera Bread. After another blank look I said "Your watch..." He obviously had no idea how to even pronounce Panerai and just said "Oh, um yea, thanks" meanwhile it was an OBVIOUS fake. Around this time another guy walks into his office also in a glaringly fake Panerai, I said "Wow, you guys must really be into watches!" knowing of course that they were clueless. I then started looking aroudn and the showroom was like a catalog of bad fake watches of all brands... these guys were idiots for sure blindly buying bad fakes probably because the boss had one. In this case the boss in fact had a decent PAM GMT fake, atleast he knew how to say it.

When I asked him about it he gave me the typical BS about his wife buying it for him (um, sure). Check it out next time you go car shoping, it is quite humorous.

Never being caught wearing a rep (yet) :blink: , however I've been "caught" wearing a gen Tag and gotten into a big argument about the gen being a rep and not a gen. My "friend" was convinced it was a rep but didn't have any good arguments <_< .

After that episode I thought, what the heck is the point of spending all that money on a gen and people might still think it's a fake (Rolex-syndrome). So now I mainly buy reps :lol:

I didn't mean it as harsh as I said when I said gens are just entry into some exclusive club... that's obviously not true but it does feel a lot like it sometimes considering the reliable and decent looking watches you can pick up at most dept stores these days for a few hundred.

And even though I suspect most of us don't try to pull of our watches as gens I can't really see just blurting out to everyone who sees your watch "yeah that's fake" so I am surprised more people have not been noticed before they have a chance to declare the watch...

So maybe I should try a different angle... have you ever spotted a good fake? I don't mean a RQLEK but rather a decent fake that only a rep fanatic would see?

Well just to further explain... I obviously don't walk aroudn with a sign that reads "ask me about my fake watch" or anything like that! I am not blaring through a bull horn "FAKE WATCH HERE< CHECK OUT MY FAKE WATCH!".

Rather I always tell people it is fake if the topic comes up and if the person really cares. So for example if I am buying a shirt and the ales girl is trying to butter me up and find something to compliment me on and says "Oh, what a cool watch" I say "Thanks" that's that. However if someone I know or work with or whatever says "Man, that's a nice watch, what kind is it..." I then would say "Thanks, it is actually a fake Panerai... " then go on to explain to them what a GEN Panerai is and why these fakes are cool and so on. So I guess my point is that I don't ever try to fool people into thinking it is something it is not, at least I do not purposly do that, I am sure strangers who glimpse the watch may be fooled... who knows?

I think that ALL luxury products are grossly overpriced and are priced that way just so you can "join the club". Perfume that costs $500 a bottle (or more, MUCH more, clothing, jewelry, watches, pens, cars, even silly things like bed linens that can cost thousands of dollars. These are all MASSIVELY overpriced but that is the very definition of "luxury". There is nothing practical or justified about luxury goods. They exist as a way os showcasing that you can afford to in essence throw money away. I am not even saying that this is bad, just that it is what it is. So sure, gens are membership cards to a club but maybe that is OK?

FINALLY, yes, I see fake watches all the time on people. I mean fairly good ones but still fake. I was flying back from Hong Kong and the guy behind me had a big fake PAM on. I spotted it as a fake but thought it would be interesting to ask him about it. So I just said "Wow, a Panerai, nice watch!" He had this priceless look of guilt on his face and glanced over at his wife (who had a pretty bad fake Bvlgari on). They must of picked them up from the many street venfors in HK. Anyway I did not tell him I knew it was a fake but it was and he now thinks he fooled some guy on a plane... so good for him, maybe it made his day which would be great.

Haha... nice! And very nice not to call him out on it. But then again any plane returnig from that Asia is probably full of fake watches that weren't on the incomming flight!

I know the first thing everyone said to me when I said I was going to China was "Bring me back a Rolex!"

I have found myself checking out peoples watches more and more (I work in a resteraunt on weekends so I see a lot of people) and I think most of them were gens, but I don't think even if they were fakes I coudl have spotted anything w without being obvious in doing so.

Yea, even if you knwo what you are talking about it is often VERY hard to spot fakes while on the wrist.

I am very familiar with fake Panerais and have been around for the entire lifespan of them, from NO fakes at all, through the HORRIBLE ones, onto OK ones and to where we are today with very good ones. Even so the only way I knew it was fake at first was the bad strap (you HAVE to change those) and then I got a decent look at the crown (I helped him put his bag in the overhead) and the way underpowered cyclopse (which BTW I htink is a Rolex specific term but what the hell) and so I knew it was a fake.

I own a gen SS Submariner and even so I swear I cannot tell fakes on the wrist, even BAD fakes. This is why it is so funny when people get caught up in the minutiaof the flaws on fakes. There is often a huge QUALITY difference but often very little VISUAL difference. If you hand me a fake Sub, even the best of the best, I will tell you (literally with my eyes closed) that it is fake within about 5 seconds. ALl you have to do is wind the watch and you INSTANTLY know. A brief glance up close will tell you as well, and I often can tell just holding it behind my back (yes, I honestly have been tested at all of this... good way to kill some time). But ON WRIST, they all look exactly the same to me. So if you have minor flaws on a watch anyone who knows enough to spot those flaws will only see them if the watchis off your wrist and they are examining it. At that point NOTHING will prevent the watch from being detected as a fake. Becuase of this I genrally do not mod my fakes, they are what they are and I can live with that.

So if you are at work and people are flashing watches by you I can imagine that it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell what it what.

I have never been called out. When I am out and someone says nice watch I say thanks. I have messed with my friends a few times and told them my rolex was real only to tell them minutes later that it was fake. When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago I was in a store and I had on my Breitling Navi and a sales man asked me how long I had owned it and told me congratulations. I just said thanks. They sold the watch in the store and he could not tell it was fake on my wrist. If he would of really asked me about it I would have told him it was a fake. I dont really care what someone thinks about my watch being real or not.