When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Endlink Question

redwatch

Hi folks, I have a question for the experts. I have a pair of gen 593 endlnks. One of them is bent out of shape a little bit. Is there a "trick" to getting it back into shape, or do I just work at it. Any suggestion on tools or such that I should use and/or avoid using?

Tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to mess these rare birds up!

Cheers!

Describe the bend? Pics?

You can reshape your endlinks to match your lug profiles better. Gently/carefully press the pointy "tips" on the topside inward while holding a pencil or screwdriver inside the curve of the endlink, and create a narrower opening at the "clamshell".

I'll usually hold a pencil inside and then press the endlink against a wood surface. It's springy so your first attempts won't bend it, it will just spring back. Go slightly farther next time.

Be utterly cautious. You want a long graceful arc at the top of the link, not a crimp or a sudden bend.

You can use different diameter rods inside the clamshell to force the bending to happen at different points.

This takes a lot of caution and a lot of practice to get it right. Here are some that I bent to match my case profile. You can get them perfect with lots and lots of patience.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'd recommend a pencil from the sharpened end. In the bottom pic, slide the sharpened tip in from right to left. It will go a ways and stop as the metal bites into the cedar. Force it a little further and you'll see it begin to open up that curve.

Go slow.

If the pencil is too large find a wooden dowel that won't quite fit inside the clamshell of the good endlink, sharpen it and use it instead.

I have a set of pliers (similar to needle-nose, but the inside faces of the jaws are smooth so they do not bite into the metal & leave marks) that I use for jobs like this. Simply squeeze down onto the bent surface & bend/reshape. I think I got them from Ofrei.

Yikes! You need hands like a surgeon to use those right. It's soooooo easy to introduce short-radius curves, almost crimps, into the links with hard tools.

That's why I use soft wood pressing the link into a plastic or wood surface. It distributes the pressure so there can be no sudden bends.

Apply pressure from inside the bend, and press the outside of the link against the edge of your work desk. The dowel is working at the bent tip, and the desk is applying a reverse force against the link further down along its arc.

By adjusting how you press inside and where you press outside, you apply the forces exactly where you need them.

The same ideas can be used to bend the endlink inward to make one that's too big, fit thinner lugs.

I'd recommend a pencil from the sharpened end. In the bottom pic, slide the sharpened tip in from right to left. It will go a ways and stop as the metal bites into the cedar. Force it a little further and you'll see it begin to open up that curve.

Go slow.

If the pencil is too large find a wooden dowel that won't quite fit inside the clamshell of the good endlink, sharpen it and use it instead.

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip!!! :tu:

• 9 months later...