When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust Accuracy

maxse

Need some help fellas.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this lately. Want to get my first Rolex rep and have been going between the TC LV Sub and a Datejust... Or perhaps both?

I was going to go with a datejust to be safe since a lot of my buddies have gens...

My question is... What's the story with the crystal on these? Is it supposed to have the same Laser etched crown at 6 like the Subs?

That's my biggest issue on the subs the lack of the LEC or it being too big in other reps of the sub.

People keep saying the reps of the Datejust are very accurate. But what about this laser crown? Or is there no LEC on the Datejusts?

Would appreciate some help, thanks.

I see. So the datejust with the engravings...

How is the LEC on the rep crystals? Still too big?

Also, what about the AR on the cyclops? Do all the gens have this?

Lastly, you guys are saying if I have a datejust without the engravings than the gen would not have a LEC on the crystal?

So which ones do you guys recommend? I want a roman numeral dial with an oyster bracelet. But the LEC is what's making me nervous.

When your buddies have Date Just i would worry more about the word DATEJUST on the dial the gen has a total different J and the spacing between DATE and JUST is to big on the reps.

Compare some side by side you will see.

(this is for the date just 2)

Edited by sardonix

Let's get one thing straight first- you can't see the LEC on a gen crystal with the naked eye- except under the rarest of circumstances. So the other 99.99% of the time, you'll never know it's there.

The LEC crystal came out in the early 2000's, before the rehaut engraving.

I'd personally get a rep w/o the LEC, but most of them have it these days. and yes, it all too often is noticeable.

You might be able to swap out the crystal, but you won't know til you get the watch and measure the crystal.

If your friends have gen DateJusts then you'll need to buy/build a franken with gen parts. While good, the DateJust reps aren't good enough to survive someone holding both in their hands and looking at them. With friends, that will happen.

Personally, I'd go for the BK or TC Sub (non-LV) with a gen insert in this case if I were the OP.

I was thinking of getting a Datejust and getting a gen dial on eBay.

I thought about getting the non-LV. But I like to have a polished center link. Or a bezel that stands out. Already have an all black watch.

How good is the insert pearl on the TC LV? It seems to be much harder and expensive to find a gen LV bezel.

Hmmm, what to do?

The LV Sub (16610) from TC (or the WM9 for that matter) does not have polished center links, nor does the gen.

bk-wm9_lv_4.jpg

Gen LV inserts are hard to find and very expensive when you do.

If you want polished center links then you need to look at a Yacht Master, or the two-tone Subs.

Edited by tomhorn

Yeah I know the LV doesn't have polished mid links. But I like the fact that it has a green bezel to off-set the watch as opposed to te very common black bezel of similar watches.

Hmmm. Decisions.

Is the bezel ad pearl on the LV at least accurate to te gen?

wow, you guys are right. Just looked at my buddies gen, can't see the LEC at all. I guess the easiest way to spot a rep is you see the crown at 6 lol.

Okay, so how good is the insert and pearl on the TC LV? From what I understand the bezel is spot on, but not really getting anything in terms of the pear except for the it's good...

I have several dj I have built. I also have a gen dj. On the gen dj I bought a gen crystal straight from rolex, $200.00 and it has the lec. The after market crystals $30.00, also have the lec, Im telling you they look very similar. One noticeable differance, the feel of the gen vs rep, big difference. I don't know what the diff is, but there is defintly a different feel to the crystal. Not something anyone would notice when mounted on the watch.

Okay guys. I decided to get a SS Oyster Bracelet with smooth bezel datejust. With a white roman numeral dial.

So I need some help (perhaps I should start a different thread?)

Is there a case that's more accurate than others? Or is the standard datejust I case for $238 on Andrews site good enough?

I would try to find a gen dial for it.

Do what do you guys think? What would be the flaws with that's scenario? Is the Rolex engraving on the rehaut a good font? If so, can I ask for a case without the engravings?

What about the crown, bracelet, crystal, etc...

Thanks so much guys for helping me put this together.