When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake Build I'm in need of some advice!

Im in need of advice. I've bought a couple of watches and a few parts from Yuki with the intention of

creating a Tudor sub. However now I just want to create the best watch I can with possibley adding £500

for further parts for a semi decent franken.

Now, I dont know what I should be going for, a better 1680? Do I create a Tudor? If so which case should I

use or do I use the MBW sub or see if I can focus on a better vintagised white sub?

It makes sense to go for a Tudor Sub and I dont really need two vintage subs, so I just need to try and

make the best use out of what I've got.

If any experienced watchsmiths are reading this and can help please get in touch as its a project I cant

complete myself.

What would you do? Heres what I've currently got:

PT 1680

Clark 127

Gen Rolex triplock crown

The case has been reshaped, softened and aged

Crownguards trimmed

Lugs drilled and insert aged

ETA 2846

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0003edit.jpg

Recent MBW White from Reg

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

Yuki Parts

Tudor rotor

Tudor oyster mercedes yellow handset

Springbars

Case tube

Tudor Sub 9401 black white dial and handset

bezel insert

clark 125 crystal

DSCN0935.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I think I will carry on with trying to get together the parts needed for a snowflake.

Does anyone know whether I could just use the PT sub ive got for the build or would it be better to use the MBW? If I went with the PT sub I'm guessing it would save a lot of work if the crown guards are already trimmed and the case is aged as i want it to have that appearance

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I think I will carry on with trying to get together the parts needed for a snowflake.

Does anyone know whether I could just use the PT sub ive got for the build or would it be better to use the MBW? If I went with the PT sub I'm guessing it would save a lot of work if the crown guards are already trimmed and the case is aged as i want it to have that appearance

Thanks

I'm using a 5517 case for my Snowflake build, it just depends on what degree of accuracy to the original you want to go :)

I would use the MBW case. It is constructed closer to the genuine. Bezel assembly is better and closer to the real thing. Stick with the snowflake, your dial has square indicies that were used with the snowflake hands only. One problem is all Tudors have the engraved caseback which your MBW doesn't have. May be able to find one on the genuine forums, or have someone engrave yours, but all of that isn't necessary if you are only trying to build a nice user, not a super franken. looks like you have a good start on your project. What movement were you planning to use? The old Tudors had a slow beat ETA, usually a 2784 in the later snowflake models, you can still find those around, probably would need a service if you found one.

Good Luck with your project.

Here is a photo of my genuine 9411/0 Blue Snowflake.

9411-05.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the Yuki 94010 caseback would fit the MBW? If not I was going to see if the existing case back could be engraved. I was planning on using a 2824-2 movement.

I've had this project on the go for months, it'll be nice to finally get everything together. I'm tempted to sell my gen Omega 2531 add some extra cash and go gen before the prices go up any further.

If that is a gen dial it won't fit a 2824. Dial feet are in the same spot but too thick. Panerai153 is correct that the 2784 is what needs to be used but that is the fast beat version of the 2783. It will fit the MBw case. I built a super Frankenstein 9411 wit a 2784 and an MBw and a 9401 with a 2783 and the MBw case.

My suggestion is to purchase a gen. The price delta for a good rep to gen is too high.

if youre going to sink 500 pounds sterling into it why dont you just buy the phong watch? youre current build will cost more

An excellent suggestion and something I hadn't considered before. I think this it what I'll do as I don't have the patience, time or real understanding for a project build. I may keep hold of the Yuki parts but the MBW I'll be posting for sale shortly.

All I need to do is figure out how the serial numbers for Tudor subs work so I can place my order with Phong.

Thanks

I say, sell the parts you have and with the 500 lbs buy either the phong, or search for a cheap gen head only. Phong would be an ok choice and you'll have money left. I would be willing to buy the 9401 dial and hands off ya.

The 2783/3 and 2824 movements do not share the same dial feet location. You can use the movement, but you'll be biased almost two minutes off.

I would sell the two you have, and then put some money up and get a genuine. the price is going to go up. 5-6 years ago, really nice, absolutely correct Tudor subs were selling for less than 2-2.5k. the same now are over 3k. With the world in a financial crisis, who knows, they could be selling for 500 USD in six months. The nice thing about a genuine is just that it's genuine. If you need to sell it, there is usually a ready market for vintage Tudors. Incidently, the one I have cost me less than 2k a couple of years ago. That was for the head only. I got the movement serviced and swapped the hands out (It had Mercedes hands that were installed by Rolex San Francisco) a pretty decent bracelet with a Tudor Clasp and I still have only about 2600 USD in the watch.

My second alternative would be go for the J&W Tudor. It's pretty nice and the price is pretty good. In fact I believe phong is having a sale right now on a lot of his watches.