When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Butcher a Mint Vintage Tudor Sub?

mastersdom

My question is ? Why turn a very respectable genuine watch into a reverse Franken? You would be much better off putting this one back to the original condition and selling it if you don't like it as is. Take the proceeds and build a nice franken Milsub from a MBW base. you can get where you want to go probably a lot cheaper and not destroy the value of a vintage Tudor.

Sounds to me like what you are trying to build is a fantasy Misub. Blue lume and sapphire crystal? even if you solder in solid lug bars, it's not going to be a milsub, any more than the Tudor would have been a milsub

My question is ? Why turn a very respectable genuine watch into a reverse Franken? You would be much better off putting this one back to the original condition and selling it if you don't like it as is. Take the proceeds and build a nice franken Milsub from a MBW base. you can get where you want to go probably a lot cheaper and not destroy the value of a vintage Tudor.

Sounds to me like what you are trying to build is a fantasy Misub. Blue lume and sapphire crystal? even if you solder in solid lug bars, it's not going to be a milsub, any more than the Tudor would have been a milsub

That's exactly what I am building - my dream watch. It will be a one off and there will be no other watch that looks the same as it. It will be higher value to me and I still have the Acrylic one. I am ditching the sapphire on this one as I decided that I prefer the acrylic look. Have you got a link to the MBW bases? I won't be soldering the solid lugs so it is all reversible. I also have a Sub dial with the original lume so that is no problem either. It is definitely a fantasy watch.

These watches, like many others out there, are no longer made. It's history and the conservation of historic watches should be the most important factor.

Your expectation was out of line with the properties of the watch. The fact that it didn't glow, was what it is supposed to do.

So value (cost) is your criteria, since you are unwilling to modify your "real" Daytona or Sub...

I still think what you did is completely wrong. You could have bought a replacement dial, but now you have destroyed the value of this piece, a real shame if you ask me...

These watches, like many others out there, are no longer made. It's history and the conservation of historic watches should be the most important factor.

Your expectation was out of line with the properties of the watch. The fact that it didn't glow, was what it is supposed to do.

So value (cost) is your criteria, since you are unwilling to modify your "real" Daytona or Sub...

I still think what you did is completely wrong. You could have bought a replacement dial, but now you have destroyed the value of this piece, a real shame if you ask me...

Cost isn't my criteria LOL. I can't turn a Daytona in to a Sub. In any case some are NOS vintage so that would, I agree, be madness. I have several so I could spare one. I can't turn any of my subs into my dream watch either because they aren't as suitable (dials don't fit) and the point is it is a holiday watch.

These changes are reversible and I have a spare dial so there's no problem is there because I can just change it back :)

Do it.

It's your watch, have it the way you want it. Gen/rep, doesn't mean shit, it's just a watch. No different to modifying a car: It's not to everyone's taste, but everyone's taste isn't what matters in the custom world, it's your taste that matters :good::drinks:

Do it.

It's your watch, have it the way you want it. Gen/rep, doesn't mean [censored], it's just a watch. No different to modifying a car: It's not to everyone's taste, but everyone's taste isn't what matters in the custom world, it's your taste that matters :good::drinks:

Loving your outlook TeeJay! Think they're right about the lugs tho' :)

Do it.

It's your watch, have it the way you want it. Gen/rep, doesn't mean [censored], it's just a watch. No different to modifying a car: It's not to everyone's taste, but everyone's taste isn't what matters in the custom world, it's your taste that matters :good::drinks:

+1

I'm sorry, but I think the op is being deliberatively provocative. I can "afford" to key my own car and then get it fixed, but I don't because I'm not an [censored]. I certainly wouldn't ask people if I should just to get a rise out of them. Bottom line, great lume job, but still a terrible idea.

I'm sorry, but I think the op is being deliberatively provocative. I can "afford" to key my own car and then get it fixed, but I don't because I'm not an [censored]. I certainly wouldn't ask people if I should just to get a rise out of them. Bottom line, great lume job, but still a terrible idea.

I can't help thinking you're deliberately being a twaat. All I am doing is changing the hands and a few other things. I'm modding my watch. That's what X Project and BJSOnline do with their Pro Hunter. To use the analogy of scratching your car is just being a dicckheadd. I collect cars too and yep, I've been known to change the alloys on the odd vintage golf to BBS. Shocking eh?

And just to dispel the affordability issues, I bought this new. And no, I didn't make it. Jeez, never had to be so defensive on a forum before. The Ferrari (I have the convertible too) stays in the garage. Now, back to watches. Hopefully the bits will arrive today :)

Can you guess the watch?

EDIT Deleted the Bentley GT pic 'cause J-Lo wanted it back :)

✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮

A FREE watch winder (4 + 6) to the first person that guesses the watch I am wearing.

Only 1 guess each! (if you were obnoxious to this new little member then you needn't play :)).

✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮