When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Butcher a Mint Vintage Tudor Sub?

mastersdom

Looks great! That may have just convinced me to build my new Milsub from parts ;)

Thanks, I've got better pics somewhere, but photobucket's not really cooperating at the moment... Building from parts really does deliver that sense of 'I built that...' whenever you look at the time :good::drinks:

Thanks, I've got better pics somewhere, but photobucket's not really cooperating at the moment... Building from parts really does deliver that sense of 'I built that...' whenever you look at the time :good::drinks:

Yep I think that's the way to go. Okay I'll put the original dial back in and hands, then see if I still want to mod it. If not it can go back in storage for another 10 years and I'll wear the Franken :)

Yep I think that's the way to go. Okay I'll put the original dial back in and hands, then see if I still want to mod it. If not it can go back in storage for another 10 years and I'll wear the Franken :)

If you like custom, I think you will still want to mod it, afterall, no point in building from scratch when you can just mod an existing piece :whistling: As before, I think it's an excellent illustration of what it would have looked like if Tudor had built the 79190 as a MilSub instead of a civilian release :) Thinking about it, there have been a few military issue GMTs with all blue bezel inserts, so I think fitting a blue insert when I 'enlist' mine will really be in keeping with that overall potential :) Infact, I might even put that all in my 5517 case and put the Snowflake dial in the 5513 case instead (both projects have to take a backseat to my plans to convert my 16610 to a 16800 :lol: )

• Like 1

The Tudor is saved! Long live the Tudor! Will either put the old dial back in or just send to Rolex for their bargain basement £600 service, which includes the Superluminova service dial :)

All parts ordered and on the way for my new Frankenwatch. Some gen stuff but just spare parts. Thanks for all the snotty advice ;) Pics of Mary Shelley's monster when I've finished ...

Congratulations are in order. I didn't mean to sound like a [censored] but I love vintage watches and I hate to see them bastardized. Hopefully your frankenwatch will give you the peace of mind you are searching for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congratulations are in order. I didn't mean to sound like a [censored] but I love vintage watches and I hate to see them bastardized. Hopefully your frankenwatch will give you the peace of mind you are searching for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said nothing wrong, I think most feel the same.

You said nothing wrong, I think most feel the same.

Very few of you come across as civilised Woof. I was after a debate not insults. I'm always happy to change my mind and do the right thing. That's maybe why I'm worth millions. You were right about the watch. You just didn't articulate it very well ;) Anyway I guess you're busy sniffing other boys bums with a name like woof but here's to our next debate :)

If you have the original dial and hands (I didn't notice it was a replacement) I say mod away, just don't do the fixed bars.

As for the sapphire to acrylic, it won't work. Best bet is to do the mods to the 79090 and leave the 79190 alone. Not certain but I'm not even sure a plastic sub insert will work on the 79190 bezel.

If you have the original dial and hands (I didn't notice it was a replacement) I say mod away, just don't do the fixed bars.

As for the sapphire to acrylic, it won't work. Best bet is to do the mods to the 79090 and leave the 79190 alone. Not certain but I'm not even sure a plastic sub insert will work on the 79190 bezel.

Thanks the crystal info Gavidoc. Truth is I have completely abandoned the Tudor mod idea. I've got a TC case on the way and am just going to build "something" with a 2824, spare tudor dial etc. I have a Snowflake dial that may come into the mix. Can you recommend a suitable rep Tudor case for the Superdome?

If you like custom, I think you will still want to mod it, afterall, no point in building from scratch when you can just mod an existing piece :whistling: As before, I think it's an excellent illustration of what it would have looked like if Tudor had built the 79190 as a MilSub instead of a civilian release :) Thinking about it, there have been a few military issue GMTs with all blue bezel inserts, so I think fitting a blue insert when I 'enlist' mine will really be in keeping with that overall potential :) Infact, I might even put that all in my 5517 case and put the Snowflake dial in the 5513 case instead (both projects have to take a backseat to my plans to convert my 16610 to a 16800 :lol: )

Hello TeeJay, what's your 5517 case like? How close? Where did you get it? I'd quite like a 5517 Milsub Date if I can find a way to carve out a date window :) A buddy of mine has the real deal. It looks battered and always goes back in a 6ft high safe so I'm guessing rarely gets worn :(