When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16800 Experts needed again

correctime

So all I need to complete the head is a set of tritium hands to match the dial.

A set of tritium hands in good shape is going to cost you a lot my friend. I would try and find a lumi set of hands if you can. I wanted to go that route but the hands are way too expensive

Looks great! Shame my case got turned back around. I was hoping to get it done before my birthday.

Excellent B-Day present for yourself brother.

I've gone nutz with getting this project gathered up.

Cal.3035 was a compulsive purchase and now....

a complete gen bezel assembly that came off a 16800 in 1986

Opinions needed on pinion height.

I'm still gathering parts for the project and I'm certainly no expert but are the pinions supposed to be this tall on a 3035 for a 16800 ??

Eyeballing it I'm guessing the hour hand will be sitting over 1mm about the dial.

Is this correct??

Edited by correctime

Thanks for posting the pictures of that bezel! I always thought one of my gen bezels was from a 16800 but after seeing yours I'm now convinced its an old 16610. I do have a bezel that looks a lot like yours but I know it's not gen. Have you decided on a case yet? Do you need me to shape one up for you?

Oh man, what a thread :tu: :tu: :tu:

After my recent abomination of a 16800 project, I'd mentally written off re-attempting it, thinking, "Why do I need a 16800 when I have a 79190 which fulfils the same criteria...?" Then I saw this thread, and remembered just what an awesome piece the 16800 is, and that's why I need one as well as the 79190 :victory:

In my 100% noob opinion..that looks crazy tall.

In my 100% Noob opinion I'm thinking it looks very tall too but won't know for sure until I install the dial.

Any logical reason it would be too tall...as in did the 3035's go into other cases needing taller pinions to clear the dial ??

I don't think the movement will fit. You need to exchange that complete hunk of metal for the 2836 I will be using for mine. You will be glad. It even has the 3135 faux treatment. ;)

I love the oxidation on the pearl you got there CT.

E

Yeah...that patina trit looks pretty vintage Brother.

IMaybe too patina'd but the entire assembly came at a great price for me so I went for it.

(and I've got a spare gen tritium pearl to exchange if it turms out looking a bit mis-matched for the dial.)

Oh man, what a thread :tu: :tu: :tu:

After my recent abomination of a 16800 project, I'd mentally written off re-attempting it, thinking, "Why do I need a 16800 when I have a 79190 which fulfils the same criteria...?" Then I saw this thread, and remembered just what an awesome piece the 16800 is, and that's why I need one as well as the 79190 :victory:

I know the feeling brother.

With a Franken TC 16610 I didn't really "need" another Sub.

But then I got to looking at the build Red was doing...and poof...I dove in.

I know the feeling brother.

With a Franken TC 16610 I didn't really "need" another Sub.

But then I got to looking at the build Red was doing...and poof...I dove in.

I think the 16800/168000s really do have a magic which transcends the 16610 :) I know where my conversion project went wrong, so can modify my plan, but it was seeing this thread which reminded me of that magic :good::drinks:

I don't think the movement will fit. You need to exchange that complete hunk of metal for the 2836 I will be using for mine. You will be glad. It even has the 3135 faux treatment. ;)

I love the oxidation on the pearl you got there CT.

E

Not going to fit ??

Why's that ??

Thanks for posting the pictures of that bezel! I always thought one of my gen bezels was from a 16800 but after seeing yours I'm now convinced its an old 16610. I do have a bezel that looks a lot like yours but I know it's not gen. Have you decided on a case yet? Do you need me to shape one up for you?

I've got an excellent case for this brother.

Something about production in germany a few years back.

But until I confirm the true origin of this case I'm gonna kept that on the DL.... :)

The 3035 and the gen dial fit it like a glove....

I'm curious...how did seeing this gen 16800 assembly convince you yours is a old 16610..??

Edited by correctime

I just had a conversation with the seller of the 16800 case regarding it's origin.

He's a semi-retired gemologist/jeweler and currently a very skilled watchmaker.

In owning a jewelery shop over the past 18 years he's made some pretty "unique" friends/associates.

And as a professional jeweler, a few Italian, high quality sterile replacement cases were made available to him.

These cases were never made abvailable to the general public as they were produced for gen owners needing a replacement case that was no longer offered by Rolex or RSC's.

I am very pleased to find that the gen dial and Cal.3035 dropped right in as they should. :)

Stem aligment is perfect :)

Of course I won't be able to show that until the 24-7020 tube arrives next week.

I've purchased 2 crowns with the 702 style coronet and turns out they're both 702 crowns.....so I picked up a new 702 tube on VRF.

(the Phong 703 with early style coronet looks awesome...but it's more like 4.1mm thick...gen is 3.7mm :( )

If anyone has the early 703 7mm crown for the 16800 I'd be happy to trade off a 702 in mint condition for it :)

Edited by correctime