When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16800 Experts needed again

correctime

I wish they were. These I bought(hate to admit) from WSO. We shall see how good or bad they are.

BTW, I'm home now. Took all weekend for the certs. Water logged as mo-fo though. I missed being in the water. I took the SSD v2 case with a DG movement and plain dial just to see if the WR was there. i have to say the watch is better under water than my 7002 that I was using for the first two days. doesn't feel too heavy or too light. The bezel stays put and took more than a few tan hits. Visibility under water was insane also. I Super lumed the sterile dial a month back and had matching hands. I really just wanted to test the case and setup. BTW, TC's bracelets are THA BOMB!!!

Back to your regular scheduled post.

E

93250 will fit the 16800. The 16610 and the 16800 are the same profile. I have a 93250 on my 16800.

580 will also fit but not well. They sit above the lugs near the bezel.

That's good info Doc....thanks.

Any idea if the SEL on the 93250 is shaped exactly like the 593 end piece ??

That's good info Doc....thanks.

Any idea if the SEL on the 93250 is shaped exactly like the 593 end piece ??

I don't see why it wouldn't be. My 93250 sits just below the edge of the lugs which is the same as my 593's.

the 501 and 593 fit the same case profile which is also the same case profile as the 93250 endlink. Gen 16800's even have the slots cut in them for the SEL found on the 93250 even though it wasn't offered when the 16800 was in production.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not keen on the re-lume work, but that patina is very interesting... I'm wondering if it is in the process of 'going matte',I bet it would be interesting to see in direct light with the naked eye :good: Have to admit though, it I were to get such a dial, I would re-lume it, and then matte varnish it myself :whistling:

The dial I am definitely leaving as is. It is matte finished and has a "salty" look that I just love. I have been having bad luck with glueing feet down so not sure now. I don't need to do anything to this but just get the feet done and match hands down to it. I will take pictures in daylight of the dial.

@ Experts,

Would this dial be from the later 16800 run based on the shorter Coronet? The lume is completely gone so it is definitely older than 25 years.

@CT, let me know about the pearl brother. I have a Clark's insert that just needs a nice pearl and some light bleaching to be perfect.

E

The dial I am definitely leaving as is. It is matte finished and has a "salty" look that I just love. I have been having bad luck with glueing feet down so not sure now. I don't need to do anything to this but just get the feet done and match hands down to it. I will take pictures in daylight of the dial.

@ Experts,

Would this dial be from the later 16800 run based on the shorter Coronet? The lume is completely gone so it is definitely older than 25 years.

@CT, let me know about the pearl brother. I have a Clark's insert that just needs a nice pearl and some light bleaching to be perfect.

E

Either 16800/168000 or a 16610. They went to the short coronet on the later gloss dials so it will work.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished.

All gen with the exception of the midcase and Bracelet.

(currently on a TC v2 93250 until a decent 93150 can be found to pair with gen NOS 593 ends and 93150 clasp.

And yes...per date era correct or not I just had to go with the new AR'd cyclop are crystal (comps to LondonGeorge)

Opinions from the experts and critics please.

Thanks guys.

I took alot of pride in putting it together myself. (to be honost that was most of the fun of it.)

Dan, this is the case said to have originated in Italy I mentioned awhile back.

Gen everything goes onto this as smooth as butter (3035 and case back too)

I tried a set of 593's I have and they fit as they should but one of the bar guides on one of the ends is missing and I don't have a 93150 Bracelet at the moment.

While the case is basically new and the bezel ring from 1986 is obviously "well used" and polished along the way I'm wondering if I should sort of bezel the edges a bit. ??

(tritium hands are obviously old and well used as well but the missing trit on the mins hands sorta gives it character to match the glossy-gone-matte dial)

opinions, suggestions and advice are more than welcome guys :)

....any suggestions on where to locate a rep 93150 good enough to mount gen ends and clasp. ??

Thanks for the comps Red.

Commin from a 16800 gen owner that says alot. :)

And it was YOUR build that inspired me to take on this project.

Think the case needs any additional work ??

Anytime!!

Let me check the pics later tonight when I'm on an actual computer. Love my iPhone but sometimes you just need that extra screen size!!

I've been asked for the specs of this build,

though most of the parts are listed and/or mentioned earlier in the thread

They are:

Sterile holed 3035 case to start a 16800 Submariner ( 9 million series 1986)

-gen Cal.3035 mvt (currently running +8 secs per day on the wrist :))

-gen 16800 tritium dial

-gen tritium hands

-gen 16800 bezel assembly

-gen NOS tritium pearl insert

-gen 295-CAR-CY1 crystal and 2.7mm gasket

-gen NOS 24-703 crown (early version)

-gen NOS 24-7030 tube

-gen 3035/3135 stem

-gen case gaskets for case back and retaining ring

currently mounted on TC v2 93250 SEL bracelet

-

Now that I've had a chance to view it on a larger screen, I really like what you've done.

The case looks really good to me. Rehaut depth looks shallow, which is a good thing. The lugs and CG could be a little bloated. The CG could use a little thinning. Lug holes look great to me. Honestly, I wouldn't really change much other than a small amount of reshaping on the CG.

In spite of it's innaccuracy, I really like the AR'd cyclops! Basically it looks like a nicely serviced 16800 to me.

Only other suggestion I have is with regards to the hands. Definitely DO NOT relume them!!! If I were you I would try and find a nice set of gen lumi hands and either have them relumed to match that gorgeous patina on the dial, or try and find a set that have already aged and match the patina. I would sell the Tritium hands (or hang on to them for a more vintage project). Just my 0.02

Thanks Red.

That's exactly the kind input I'm looking for and I appreciate it Brother.

I'll be PM'ing you for more input and expert advice. :)

The bezel assmbly came with the factory correct (and by the looks of it, original) pre LEC 2mm sapphire so I'll tuck it away.

But this AR'd crystal really "works"...no problems at all with reading the date at a glance and from just about any angle on the wrist.

Original is usually the way to go but my tired old eyes aren't what they once were.

And the single 6 and 9 on the datewheel looks pretty darn good to me using this crystal.

Nice job CT. But I do think a better minute hand is in order. Trimming/slimming the lugs and the outside edges of the cgs also wouldn't hurt.

Bracelets are a personal choice I guess. I wear my gen 8.1 million on an MBW 93150 with gen 593s and a gen clasp. If you can find a good rep 93150, the quality is comparable to a gen, IMO. My gen 93150 was pretty stretched out so I put it on my 16800 franken. It used to be you could pick up a used gen 93150 for $400-500 three to four years ago- now days you're more likely to pay $600.

Here's my 8.1 mill- it went thru the Rolex spa around 1998 or so and has a tritium marked dial and hands which are lumed with luminova- still glow well at night!

P1000246-2-1-2.jpg

My 7.2 million matte dial has thicker lugs, less polished. It's on the left and the watch on the right is my 16800 franken in a noob case with lugholes drilled.

P1000185.jpg

With these older 16800s, I guess it's whatever you want to do- they're 30 yr old watches so you have to figure some maintenance has been done along the way. Rolex wouldn't hesitate to put a new 'Swiss Made' dial and hands in there and a new AR'd crystal at this point- they're 100% gen Rolex parts so they don't care!

BTW, I do like that AR'd crystal, nice job!

That turned out great. The minor work on the case is all you really need like others have said. I'm with you regarding the AR crystal. I have one on my 16800 as well.

Regarding bracelets, the 93250 can be purchased as an option from Rolex to replace the 93150. My AD told me as much. As you can tell they fit. I'd source a gen 93250 personally and use the rep till you do. I have one on my 16800. Cost 900 but worth it. The only other change I recommend is a Dssd clasp to fit to the 93250. Then it is pure money. The only rep parts on my gens. 2 use Dssd rep clasps and the other uses a 116610 rep clasp.

This pic shows the ar crystal and the 93250.

post-5355-135056860291.jpg