When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Comparison - Gen 16800 vs TC V-Serial

redwatch

Some of you may have seen my progress update on my 168000 triple zero build here. I ended up buying a gen mid case for the project and so while I had it in my hands, I figured I would do a side by side case comparison of the gen case vs the TC V-serial case. The TC case has been modified. The rehaut was sanded off and jmb did the lug hole work for me. The gen case has a gen 703 crown installed on it as does the TC.

I have to admit, aside from the over all feel of the gen case (the edges are way softer and smoother) the look between the two cases is really darn close! Let the pictures do the talking here. The gen case is on the top in all pictures (or on the left in the last photo):

860e0db4.jpg

812dced9.jpg

f10ced86.jpg

025238df.jpg

8adaef06.jpg

b58618b0.jpg

If you look at this last photo, you can also see the difference in rehaut depth between the gen case and the TC case. This is probably the only other obvious tell in my opinion.

that's why boys.....The TC sub is the best hands down!

Although I really like my MBW 16610 and have gen parts installed... I'm going to buy a TC.

There's no denying how good they are. Thanks for posting the pics Red..great comparison :)

Although I really like my MBW 16610 and have gen parts installed... I'm going to buy a TC.

There's no denying how good they are. Thanks for posting the pics Red..great comparison :)

they are something spectacular. i too have an old 16610 from MBW, was thinking of converting it to a modern day brevet bond sub. no cgs, already drilled out the lug holes, and no cyclops over the date.

God! the more I look at the case comparison the more I think it only needs the lug holes drilled and a decent dial to set it off. I may have to sell the noobmariner to fund this. Yuki does show stock of this certain matte 16800 dial....

E

they are something spectacular. i too have an old 16610 from MBW, was thinking of converting it to a modern day brevet bond sub. no cgs, already drilled out the lug holes, and no cyclops over the date.

How about you contact me on that case and i can send you a Polex one with drilled lugs for gen bars that could use to lose the Cgs?

E

• 1 month later...

When I test fitted the gen crystal and gasket there was a definite difference in the two pieces. You could see the thickness difference from the 16610 and the 16800 cases. In fact, I would hazard a guess that it was exaggerated more with the crystals mounted. Now, I didn't try different gaskets so that may or may not make a difference.

interesting, I have a gen crystal and TC case coming it will be a huge shame if the proper magnification is wasted because of the height difference in a TC vs gen case. Then again isnt the 3035 which the 16800 houses a different hight? So could the TC be the correct height??

Happy birthday for today BTW!!

IIRC the rehaut on a 16800 case is higher then that of a 16610 case. Another thing to consider is that:

1. If you use a 2mm crystal on a 16800 case you must use a 2.7mm gasket for the correct magnification.

2. If you use a 1.8mm crystal on a 16800 case you must use a 2.5mm gasket for the correct magnification.

I don't know what it would be on a 16610 case but will assume that it is the same.

While using the ST case for a 16800 build I wonder what right movement to use would be. I have a 2879, 2836-2 and a 2824-2 all gen. I want perfect stem height as well as good fit of dial to rehaut and movement ring(as I'm not using a gen movement. E