When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Gibson Guitars

socom

Well, actually I do own a few originals (2 '59 reissues, a Gary Rossington signature, a '78 Les Paul Standard and a '69 Les Paul Goldtop).

I'm looking for a cheap stage guitar and rumors are that there are some replicas which are far better then the epiphone clones.... ;)

Edited by socom

I've never come across replica Gibson guitars and would be very wary of their quality, should they even exist.

Buying replica watches and pens etc. is one thing but I could never see me being tempted by a Cheung Street Gibson.

There are however many manufacturers out there that use variances on the Gibson and Fender designs and make fine guitars but this is not what you mean so no point in elaborating.

JTB

ok...i have boight a replica gretsch...the quality is not great...no pearl mother inlays , tuning pegs just regular , but amazingly sounds great...the neck pick up real soft tone and the bridge really acid...a great buy for the cheap price...but maybe i just got some luck and its a hollowbody one...

Its all about the pickups.

The wood will give you some tone and sustain, but unless your recording at a top notch studio, you won't notice

Playing live forget about it, all you need is a comfortable neck and good pickups

In my setup i have a $150 yamahaa guitar that i have had for 20 yrs (geez i'm getting old) I dropped a kick ass duncan in it, and its a monster I use it for super low tuning with crazy heavy strings.

most important thing on a guitar is the neck, and action. (at best settings) which is why you generally don't buy guitars over the web. Unles your getting a fine tuned hand made american or otherwise guitar, they come off a factory line, each piece of wood is different, check for warping, feel ect ect.

Your much much better off finding a nice epiphone in a music store then taking a chance on a 'rep"

buy a 200 guitar, strip the paint, go crazy with it. :)

When i was a kid the guitarist in my band's father was a vp at Kramer. They used to go into the factory and come out with a pile of parts that we would make into guitars.

ahhh, the good ole days

hey PB do you prifer duncans over emg's ?

wich of the 2 brands make the highest output humbucker ?

i remember back in the days i had a B.C RICH with a duncan screamin demon on it & it just didnt give me the punch that emg's give me :rolleyes:

EMG makes really good active pickups that i remember.

The Duncan i had in there was from a guy i know who does custom upgrades

I was looking for some thick, dirty king's x tone and he pulled this one out of a drawer - It was old and scratched up - but, man did it dig deep.