When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Price check on aisle 8 - Datejust 18k onyx dial

Nanuq

Gents, a friend is looking at a watch for her hubby. I thought I'd get some opinions of what she should pay.

It's an 18kyg full-size Datejust 16078 in nearly mint condition, onyx dial, bark bezel. It's got all the links, the band is 18kyg. It's had a recent service (-2 years) and was bought new 15 years ago. He says he's worn it maybe 3x per year, and the watch shows it.

We're taking it to an AD today for verification. He's asking $6,750 for it.

What say ye?

From a business perspective. Gold value + marketability. Not a high demand and when spending big money for a gold Rolex, the Day-Date would be the "in demand" piece.

Under $6000.00 grand would ne where I would advise my guys to buy.

Would price out at around $7200.00 with a 20% discount to the buyer.

Thanks to all who replied! I've suggested she show up with a BIG stack of $100 bills and start out with 60 of them.

Maybe toss in a couple more if negotiations get dicey.

:pimp:

The meet was planned for midnight under the wharf. It was a moonless night and she wore a red dress, shivering slightly.

The mist settled as the scene unfolded. Characters appeared from the fog, and the sudden blaze of a match illuminated glistening gold.

The softly ticking lump was opened on the workbench that just happened to be standing at the ocean's edge (cough) and a pristine 3035 beat inside, its rhythms mimicking her pounding heart.

She felt the sweaty wad of cash between her breasts, deliciously hidden.

Waves lapped at the shore and somewhere a sea lion farted in pleasure, the aroma of digesting salmon drifted with the fog.

The watchmaker removed his loupe, turned his head and nodded once to the buyer, cigarette smoke obscuring his features.

"It's good".

She held out her arm and the watchmaker slid the heavy band over her wrist, and clasped it shut.

Only then did he realize... the band was missing three links.

A SHOT RANG OUT!!! Clutching her heaving bosom and its sweaty wad of cash, she cried "No! Noooooo!!"

The watchmaker quickly checked his pocket Rolex Parts Manual and quoted $550 per link, and noted that three were required.

And just like that, the deal was over. Staggering from the scene into the night, bloodied from the grazing wound and jiggling ever so nicely with her hidden wad of cash, the buyer disappeared like a ghost into the night.

The watchmaker gazed with subtly disguised annoyance at the Alaskan meathead that had delivered her to his midnight rendezvous, and shook his head.

Holstering his still smoking Walther, and wondering why he had shot her, he turned and disappeared into the night.

Here is how I look at it...

"bought new 15 years ago" The watch is around 25 years old, went out of producton in 1986/87.

The 3035 is not much of a movement imho and in the opinion of quite a few others.

'Bark' bezels are dogs.

Is the dial a high $$ stone dial or cheap painted dial? Can't tell in the pics.

Watch shows 20 links, 24 is a full set (15 links on the 12 side and 9 links on the 6 side).

There is a bad recession going on.

I would be a buyer at $2800.

Why am I so cheap?

I see a lot of used gold rolex etc watches for sale and believe me...they are not selling at retail prices.

Example...last Sunday a fellow had one average 14k rolex 1501 OP (cal 1570) and an average gold cap rolex 1550 OPD for sale (cal 1575 hack)...both running at $1200 for the pair. Both need c/o, crystals, case tube, crown etc. Dials are Ok, nothing special. I probably would have bought them for $1000 but did not have the $$ on me. The four other guys at the table who did have the $$ were not interested enough to make an offer.

I know a gold buyer (not a pissant buyer but a big time buyer with an armed guard etc) who travels around buying all kinds of scrap gold, coins, watches etc and he will only pay 70% to 75% scrap value plus $400 (for the movement) for a running solid gold rolex. He bought an 18kwg IWC manual wind gent's watch for $200 a couple weeks ago without weighing it and I offered $300 last week. He said "We'll see."

I'll take enough $$ for the two rolex watches this week because the guy might be back.