When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a low-beat 2824

sneed12

Trying to build a movement to go into my AP diver v3.

I have a 2824 and a 2846 sitting on the table in front of me.

3dca55c1.jpg

I stripped down the underside of the 2824

1727bcaa.jpg

Now what? Do I have to remove the pallet fork as well? What do I have to install from the 2846--just the balance wheel, escape wheel and gear train?

To be honest i have never tried this but i would think you have to use the main spring from the 1846 as well, the palet fork you may get away with but why not just fit the 2846 in the AP diver????

Doesn't work with the AP diver datewheel

also, I had a dead 2824 and a running 2846 lying around and I'm sick that way :)

Did you mean the mainspring or the balance wheel/hairspring? I will swap the balance wheel but I can't imagine why the mainspring/barrel would be different...

I think I might have just destroyed a movement. Oh well.

I gotta head into the office, I'll try to take another look at this next week. For now I'm throwing in the towel, I can't leave stuff like this laying out because my kids are visiting.

More details:

I only have 1 movement holder, so I improvised a second: junk dial stuck into old Noob case

ea64ddc0.jpg

2824 is stripped entirely on the bottom, except the pallet fork

1adb5a55.jpg

You can see the difference between the 2824 and 2846 escape wheels

3e592a77.jpg

Escape wheel installed. This is where I went off the rails, but didn't notice right away--one of the escape wheel teeth is sitting on top of the pallet fork

f0cb7d77.jpg

Bridges from the 2846 are interchangeable with 2824, interestingly

4920efbe.jpg

c048d70c.jpg

At this point, the pallet fork wouldn't turn. Instead of taking it apart and trying again, like an idiot, I tried to force it a bit and popped one of the jewels out. Here it is loose

151e2cd9.jpg

I went and got another pallet fork out of my collection of dead movements (I have quite a few) and tried again, no luck. I'll try the pallet fork from the 2846 when I get a chance. Maybe they're not interchangeable or something.

I'm no expert but it only seems logical the with the escape wheels that different, the pallet forks would also be different and not interchangeable.

I'd try looking up the part numbers from the ETA documents and seeing if the have different part numbers.

I checked the tech spec for the 2846 and it is less detailed than those for the still manufactured movements so I couldn't judge cross compatibility of parts. I would think that you would have to move over all of the moving parts to get it to work right, although not sure the base plate will take them. Interesting idea and attempt, curious to see how you make out.

I think the experiment is at an end for now. The 2824 mainplate I was using has a broken-off bit stuck in the pallet fork jewel in the mainplate. I could not get the broken bit out. I tried popping the jewel out, but I can't seem to press a replacement back in.

On the other hand, I was able to put all of the 2824 stuff onto the 2846 mainplate...

6a18b851.jpg

89dfb7ea.jpg

As you can see from those pics, it's running. At 28.8 kbph. I installed some spare hands left over from a long-ago experiment

69c96cad.jpg

and it even seems to be keeping good time.

So I started with 1 dead 2824 and 1 running 2846; I ended up with 1 running 2846 mainplate with assorted 2824/2836 parts on it (all Swiss) and a REALLY dead 2824, along with a small pile of broken spare parts. That's actually not so bad, considering.

If anyone has a dead 2824, I'd be interested in trying again. I kept the low-beat balance, pallet fork, gear train, and escape wheel separate. Should be an easy drop-in if I ever get the chance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...