When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 on net54

cc33

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1342439111/FS+rolex+6542+complete+case+and+movement+REDUCED+PRICE

For anyone who might be interested this seems like a great deal on a complete gen case caseback, bezel, crown stem and tube, crystal and movement for a 6542. The only thing missing is hands dial and insert.. if I was doing a 6542 build I'd scoop this up.

I am not sure you have to go gen to end up with a very convincing '42 case. But, if you have the funds, it certainly does not hurt. Also, as was the case with my Phase II build, going gen (case) increases the likelihood of sealing issues, which are not an issue with a well-made aftermarket case (you can just about see the slight fissure in my gen caseback's edge around 7 o'clock)

002-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

I agree with freddy, there are cases that are quite acceptable to my eye.

11io4lt.jpg

Silix case:

White5.jpg

Cartel case:

finished6204.jpg

And the 'Tiger' case I've come to like quite a bit:

Redside.jpgRedCrownside.jpg

It's at 6,3 Euros but the last one to sell on Ebay went for $6.399 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rolex-6542-GMT-Master-Men-s-Stainless-Steel-Watch-Pre-Owned-/180920428808?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a1fb2a908

It's at 6,3 Euros but the last one to sell on Ebay went for $6.399 http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a1fb2a908

I looked at their ebay listing, it's pretty vague. They just say "Swiss mechanical movement" not 1030 ot Rolex movement. also the caseback is wrong. i'm wondering if these are put together watches using some genuine and some aftermarket parts. i would definitely rather have the watch from phong or the Ming Quy watch, at least they are up front about what's genuine and what is aftermarket. I would sure hate to pay 6500 dollars for the ebay watch and then open it and find a 25 dollar DG movement inside!!

Honestly, I just don't see the value in it at 6.3K euro.

The value to these watches comes from them being all original, in original condition.

A franken smash up of parts, even if they are all corresponding, I think would be a tough sell in that euro 10k+ price range.

So, then, if you are building it for yourself for fun, then I'd go with a silix case and save the other 6.2K and buy something nice for your wife.

:)