When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broke Bracelet On Iwc Ingenieur

Assasimon

post-863-1163237489_thumb.jpg

Howdy!

I have a question regarding the bracelet on the new IWC Ingenieur. Ny bracelet just fell apart when I was watching a movie in my sofa. The welding broke! And no, I didn´t wrestle my wife when this happened...

Has anyone else had the same problem? What can I do now?

Also on the Ingenieur, is there a way to center and adjust the small hole (One of five) that is suppose to be just above the 12 o´clock mark? Now it is approx 1-2 mm wrong.

Suggestions?

Best regards!

Jim

Howdy!

I have a question regarding the bracelet on the new IWC Ingenieur. Ny bracelet just fell apart when I was watching a movie in my sofa. The welding broke! And no, I didn´t wrestle my wife when this happened...

Also on the Ingenieur, is there a way to center and adjust the small hole (One of five) that is suppose to be just above the 12 o´clock mark? Now it is approx 1-2 mm wrong.

Suggestions?

Best regards!

Jim

I would address the bracelet with the dealer, as to the holes on the bezel this should be a screwd on ring if it was the gen and should be tightend like a case back so the positionong of the holes may not line up with 1200 when it is tight, if it is moving then it may not be tight!

Sorry my mistake looking at the manufaturing pics it looks pressed on and in all the pics (of the new on not old ones) shows it centered at 1200, so you may be able to turn it back to the 1200

147379-15441.jpg

I would have ago with a case back removeing tool and see if it will turn. Be carefull some times we can live with a scretch on the back but on the front!!!!!

Sorry my mistake looking at the manufaturing pics it looks pressed on and in all the pics (of the new on not old ones) shows it centered at 1200, so you may be able to turn it back to the 1200

147385-15440.jpg

I would have ago with a case back removeing tool and see if it will turn. Be carefull some times we can live with a scretch on the back but on the front!!!!!

Ok, thank you for your reply. I will try to fix this.

Best regards!

Jim

Howdy!

Suggestions?

Best regards!

Jim

I received mine in the post with the clasp broken in the same place, it does seem to be a particular weakness in this bracelet. I got mine from EL who kindly me sent a complete new one when I informed him :)

The gen used to be screw-on. If you look at earlier generations, you will more than likely see the bezel holes in all kinds of orientations. The curent gen, however, is a bayonet type system, and the bezel is placed on and turned about 10 degrees to lock, and the holes are always the same, with the top one right at 12.

As always from this forum, copy and paste this into your browser rather than going directly:

http://www.frizzellweb.com/larry/ingenieur...eur4.html#Jumbo

Mine arrived with the clasp separated from the bracelet and must have broken during shipping. It looks like this is a potential weak spot in this model. You are lucky yours broke while on the couch and not in a meeting :blink: Thankfully my dealer is sending a replacement as we speak.

147432-15409.jpg

Recieved my IWC Ingenieur yesterday (11/10/2006) from Jay, exact same problem, bracelet broken in the same place. From early reports, looks like this is going to be a MAJOR PROBLEM for the Ingenieur.

Just hope the dealers have a way to sort all this out, its way too nice a rep to go sour over an issue like this.

Recieved my IWC Ingenieur yesterday (11/10/2006) from Jay, exact same problem, bracelet broken in the same place. From early reports, looks like this is going to be a MAJOR PROBLEM for the Ingenieur.

Just hope the dealers have a way to sort all this out, its way too nice a rep to go sour over an issue like this.

147665-15362.jpg

:bangin:

Either the dealers need to find some better built spares in a hurry or you need a jeweller with a micro welding setup. Its probably not a difficult job to re-attach the parts if you have the appropriate gear.

Happily mine is still intact and survived a twist test.

This is not good news... waiting on mine (it's somewhere over the Pacific right now) but I like to drive with my hand out the window... if it broke during a time like that it would be bye bye watch :(

From the look of it the weld looks pretty weak. I would think a solid weld might break if air or something got into the welding compound, but to come off clean like that just looks like it was never attached well...

I would be tempted to go to a jewler right off and have it broken and welded right from the bat... wonder how much that costs...

• 1 year later...
mine just broke in the same place last week...i have several watches and i rotate them on a regular basis...that would explain why it took soo long for mine to eventually give out :(

has anyone come up with a solution for repairing this part..i.e. j.b. weld? etc...

I successfully repaired two such bracelets with J B Weld (not the quick setting one),

as Chieftang once suggested. There is a helpful pictorial about the subject, cleverly

suggesting to used Rodicl to ensure proper angle between the clasp and the broken part.

Works just fine.