When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Transitional GMTs?

TeeJay

TeeJay,

A big misconception by some is that Rolex made a matte dial with white gold surrounds. Reports on the Gen forums would lean towards that not being correct. When Rolex released the first run of glossy dials with the white gold surrounds, the lacquer had a tendency to age strangely. In some cases the lacquer cracked and the result are the spider web dials you see from time to time. Rolex views them as a failure while some collectors view them as collectible. The 2nd thing that could have happened was that the lacquer eventually turned dull, resulting in a matte dial with the white gold surrounds. Thus the reason some believe Rolex issued the matte dial with white gold surrounds.

In either case, there was never a GMT Master issued with the dial you asked about.

Is it possible to find a matte dialed/ white gold surround GMT Master? Possible. Was it from the factory like this? More then likely no.

If you could find it you would have to look for one of the following:

late serial 16750, 16760 (fat lady), early 16700, or an early 16710.

Thanks for the feedback, amigos :good::drinks: I figured that there might not be a 'factory issued' silver on matte dials, same as with the 1984 16800, but I wondered if there might have been some unusual aging examples the same as the 16800 :) Needless to say, I might well be modifying the en-route GMT to reflect my vision :whistling:

I have looked at a fair number of GMT's, especially when i was on a quest to find a nice 16750. The only matte dial 16750's were the non WG surround models. All of the later 16750's with WG surrounds were gloss dials.

As others have said, over time lots of strange things happen to painted surfaces. spiderweb cracking, "tropical" brown , and I'm sure overall dulling of the dial. My 16750 from 1983 is still glossy, however the tritium indices and hands have aged to a wonderful creamy vanilla color. Also the bezel insert has faded quite a bit. I wear mine outside in the sun a lot, but thus far no dial changes.

First one might be from a 16700..

Second pic is an early GMT Master II dial, possibly around E series..

The jubilee can be used for both but some GMT Master came fitted with the 580/93150 Oyster bracelets

Gmt master II comes in 3 variations;

Oyster 78360, 78790 and Jubilee 62510

:)

Correct on all counts. Pic is of a 16700. Last of the original GmT master.

16700 came with 501 end links but 593 also work if with the 93150.

I have looked at a fair number of GMT's, especially when i was on a quest to find a nice 16750. The only matte dial 16750's were the non WG surround models. All of the later 16750's with WG surrounds were gloss dials.

As others have said, over time lots of strange things happen to painted surfaces. spiderweb cracking, "tropical" brown , and I'm sure overall dulling of the dial. My 16750 from 1983 is still glossy, however the tritium indices and hands have aged to a wonderful creamy vanilla color. Also the bezel insert has faded quite a bit. I wear mine outside in the sun a lot, but thus far no dial changes.

Interesting stuff, maybe Rolex used a different dial varnish on the MTs than was being used on the 16800's :g: I was considering modifying my incoming dial to a matte finish, to be a bit 16800-esque, but if there's no precedent for that dial turning matte, I might just leave it gloss :)