When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you test waterproofness of a rep?

gt rider

DuDro, my old friend! Nice to see you. :tu:

Rick, I know what you mean by feeling the pressure in your teeth. Your sinuses are taking a heck of a beating as you descend. Do you ever feel it in your eyes? That's creepy.

Rick, I know what you mean by feeling the pressure in your teeth. Your sinuses are taking a heck of a beating as you descend. Do you ever feel it in your eyes? That's creepy.

Equalize often and this never becomes a problem. Before I learned that I thought everything would explode when I was free diving. Now I'm completely comfortable at 100'.

The teeth bother me the most. Eyes I don't notice that much, maybe the mask helps, not sure I'll look out for it on my vacation. Ears I can feel, but it doesn't bother me. It's just those teeth... ugh... i hate that feeling.

Edited by Rick James

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I have been lucky. I never worried about it much. Every single watch I have had built or bought, new or used has been waterproof..at least for showers, washing hands, or swimming.

Except one, a sub I bought used that the seller had done a poor job of installing a tube. I always start off checking by washing my hands...then a shower....looking for fogging. I don't dive of course and that's probably a different story.

Something else I forgot to mention, is that I read somewhere than when a watch is at depth, that depth will compress and seal any micro-breaches in the assembly, so if it doesn't flood at low pressure immersions like a faucet or in a glass of water, then it's not going to flood under a greater pressure like swimming or snorkling. I don't know how true that actually is, but, in my experience, if a watch hasn't flooded under a faucet test, it equally hasn't then flooded while showering, bathing, or swimming in strong currents, although I can't report on any depth submersions, as I've never gone diving with one (yet :whistling: )

As Im sure you're very well aware of T...you don't need a watch to go diving. :D

post-19368-0-15470400-1345721156_thumb.j

• Like 1

Am I the only one that feels like my watches are made sugar and will fail even at the sight of water? My 16610 build passed 7atm and I take it off to wash my hands, my gen Eco diver is tested to 200m and I get nervous swimming in it.

I have gotten one rep wet. My expII. Tested safe to 10atm. Even then it only went in 3 feet of water.

Maybe I'm a puss, and I should man up. Nanuq maybe a week canping in the tundra will fix my fear;)

Am I the only one that feels like my watches are made sugar and will fail even at the sight of water? My 16610 build passed 7atm and I take it off to wash my hands, my gen Eco diver is tested to 200m and I get nervous swimming in it.

I have gotten one rep wet. My expII. Tested safe to 10atm. Even then it only went in 3 feet of water.

Maybe I'm a puss, and I should man up. Nanuq maybe a week canping in the tundra will fix my fear;)

Yes, STOP IT! IT WILL NOT LEAK!! And even if it does, you need to wear that shit like it cost nothing and you couldn't care less if it does or doesn't :lol::good::drinks:

I filled my Nalgene with hydrogen when I tested my watch, figuring it would get past the seals easier than oxy/nitrogen in the atmosphere, and give a better test. :Jumpy:

All went well until my neighbor came in the garage with my dog, smoking a cigarette.

Boy I'm gonna miss that dog.

How did you teach your dog to smoke?

This post is brilliant! One of the most engaging, intelligent stream of thoughts, I had no clue

as to the variables of waterproofing. Ususally, always, I take my watch off for showering, swimming

etc, I will give the test a try.