When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Birth year watch would you chose ?

PeteM

Nice thread! I love the idea of getting a Rolex or Omega from my birth year. But apparently nothing new came out in 1976? :g: Guess I have to look on...

Bueno... Let's do this! You're right about those two brands in '76. If you really wanted, you could get an Omega Chrono-Quartz Montreal Olympics, but that's not an attractive watch. My suggestions:

i-qzpWzNT-X3.jpg

1976 was the first year for the long-lived and ultra-reliable Seiko 6309-7040. Neither expensive nor hard-to-find!

i-Qx9CCnm-X3.jpg

1976 was also one of worst years of the Quartz Crisis, leading old brands like Breitling to respond to the Japanese with monstrosities like the 9406 Navitimer.

i-2BRg98n-X3.jpg

How about a Daytona, minus all the Rolex baggage?

i-b7dmnLB-X3.jpg

And, of course, 1976 was when the Ingenieur SL debuted. Nicknamed "Jumbo" for its massive 39mm diameter! WOW!

i-Qx9CCnm-X3.jpg

1976 was also one of worst years of the Quartz Crisis, leading old brands like Breitling to respond to the Japanese with monstrosities like the 9406 Navitimer.

Wow, this is one ugly watch...

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I don't really like the suggested models. The Ingy is not too bad but... well, maybe I will just get a Rollie or Omega that was manufactured in 1976. Or wait, what about Panerai?

The Ingy is not too bad but... well, maybe I will just get a Rollie or Omega that was manufactured in 1976. Or wait, what about Panerai?

Well, then you can get a Speedmaster or a Submariner as suggested on the first page! :p

As for Panerai, after the war the brand was frozen in an iceberg for forty years, only to be thawed out and resurrected by Sylvester Stallone in the 1990s. Seriously, the most you might find from Panerai in the 70s might be a depth gauge or a compass.

Well, then you can get a Speedmaster or a Submariner as suggested on the first page! :p

As for Panerai, after the war the brand was frozen in an iceberg for forty years, only to be thawed out and resurrected by Sylvester Stallone in the 1990s. Seriously, the most you might find from Panerai in the 70s might be a depth gauge or a compass.

haha, sums panerai up nicely.

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

Yes, I'll probably do that... maybe a Speedy... :)

LOL, OK, I'll search for a Panerai compass. Do they need 24mm or 26mm straps? ;)

Being born in 1982 leaves me with not nearly as many cool choices. My gut reaction is a sub 16800. However, I'm actually shopping for a watch for my 30th (September 27), and I'm being drawn to a Day-Date...

I know I'm too young, but when I turned 25 I had a quarter life crisis and bought an Audi, so maybe I'll buy my old dude watch at 30 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk