When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Birth year watch would you chose ?

PeteM

Lovely dial on that 6204 mate :)

LH mentioned the Favre-leuba.... for those wanting to know more like I did !! The Bathy is at the bottom of the link.... though I aint sure which one you meant LH as there are a few... including a pretty nice updated version ;)

http://www.chronoman...php/favre-leuba

The Universal Geneve Space Compax 1972

Aquastar Deepstar

My favourite of those has to be the Favre :) Nice selection there LH :)

Tudor home plate for me Circa 1972. Speedmaster is a close second.

tudor-monte-carlo-7032-002a.jpg

Very nice there mate.... I really dont understand Tudors or how they originated.... I must take some time to learn for myself.... because to be honest if I saw this watch a few years back I would have thought it was a moody Rolex.. :bangin:

If anyone has a good reference link to Tudor it would be appreciated.... save me some time trawling through the good and bad.. :)

My favourite of those has to be the Favre :) Nice selection there LH :)

Shame on me for not providing pictures! Turns out the Space Compax dates back to 1970 onwards, so let's get you a proper '66 Tri-Compax, instead:

i-Cg2RCLG-X3.jpg

And this is the '66 Bathy 50 I'm talking about:

i-qPvwWpD-X3.jpg

As for the Deepstar, it's not the prettiest watch, but it is (I believe) the first chronograph you could safely operate underwater, and it has a Cousteau connection.

• Like 1

Shame on me for not providing pictures! Turns out the Space Compax dates back to 1970 onwards, so let's get you a proper '66 Tri-Compax, instead:

And this is the '66 Bathy 50 I'm talking about:

As for the Deepstar, it's not the prettiest watch, but it is (I believe) the first chronograph you could safely operate underwater, and it has a Cousteau connection.

:tu:

So thats the same Bathy in the link.... Good... :) I like that.... its a real eyecatcher.... it almost conjures up a feel of the late 60s in Carnaby Street...

But now I have to know more about that Chrono !! :cc_detective:

You are doing it again !! ;):tease:

For you, PeteM of '66, I choose a Favre-Leuba Bathy 50 for swimming, a Universal Geneve Space Compax if you want a chronograph, or an Aquastar Deepstar if you want a bit of both!

There's a beautiful Space Compax for sale on the bay right now.... Click me

Also a really neat looking Favre-Leuba Bivouac... Click Me

Both pretty sweet watches! Thanks for the introduction to them M!

Nice links... Thanks R :)

Eric I think those are the first pics I have seen you post without the sunshine..... I look forward to you getting it so you put that right ;)

Very nice there mate.... I really dont understand Tudors or how they originated.... I must take some time to learn for myself.... because to be honest if I saw this watch a few years back I would have thought it was a moody Rolex.. :bangin:

If anyone has a good reference link to Tudor it would be appreciated.... save me some time trawling through the good and bad.. :)

Essentially, that's exactly what they are :whistling: You know how Toyota make Lexus as their 'high end' marque? Well, the Rolex/Tudor history is the exact reverse, with Tudor being a lower-priced offering. I spoke to a jeweller a few weeks back, and he said that at one time, Tudor was what saved Rolex from going under :g:

red: Great finds! I'd consider either of them... at a third of their current prices!

did anything good come out in 1975 ?

I love this exercise. A few mid-70s watches for your consideration:

i-qgdfZsx-X3.jpg

Heuer Monza Cal.15, to commemorate Niki Lauda's first championship. Can't get more '75 than that!

i-tjqc5sZ-X3.jpg

The very colorful Wakmann Regatta, with a Lemania 1341 inside.

i-VrkHXxs-X3.jpg

The oddball Sicura Satellite, with its massive sweep-second hand.

i-hcFtCxn-X3.jpg

On my personal "to-get" list... The Speedsonic Lobstertail.

• Like 1

red: Great finds! I'd consider either of them... at a third of their current prices!

I love this exercise. A few mid-70s watches for your consideration:

i-qgdfZsx-X3.jpg

Heuer Monza Cal.15, to commemorate Niki Lauda's first championship. Can't get more '75 than that!

i-tjqc5sZ-X3.jpg

The very colorful Wakmann Regatta, with a Lemania 1341 inside.

i-VrkHXxs-X3.jpg

The oddball Sicura Satellite, with its massive sweep-second hand.

i-hcFtCxn-X3.jpg

On my personal "to-get" list... The Speedsonic Lobstertail.

What a selection :tu:How noticeable is the hand on the Sicura in daily wear?

This is Tudor Collector, kinda like the Doubleredsedweller site

http://tudorcollectorsite.blogspot.com/?m=0

It's not the end all of info, but lots here :)

Thanks TJ.... I felt that one ;):)

Thanks Woof great link much appreciated mate...

But LH.... you done it again mate..... I love that lobster tail.... never seen anything like it mate.... but you havent posted a 'How to' on bracelet removal !!! :) But then I found this... I was hoping it would need a special tool at the least ;)

http://chronomaddox.com/lobster.html

And as for that secs hand on the Sicura.... at first I thought that was an emblem/logo on the crystal!!.... Fantastic .... but then looking at that led me to this site..... great watches on here ... OOoooooo :)

http://70swatchesgallery.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/sicura-satellite/

You are the man.... without doubt mate.... :)

I've never seen one in person, but I imagine that rotating boomerang must be nearly as hypnotic as a Borel Cocktail watch:

i-VXBNccg-X3.jpg

I wish I could show you the above in motion, via an animated GIF!

That would definitely be very trippy to wear :tu: :tu:

Being born in 1200, would be my pick. At age 15, I could witness the Magna Carta being signed, while wearing my sundial wrist watch. At age 16, Inventing the mechanical wristwatch. would advance horology hundreds of years by the time this year rolled around. No doubt there would be a massive Hambone watch factory. B)

Being born in 1200, would be my pick. At age 15, I could witness the Magna Carta being signed, while wearing my sundial wrist watch. At age 16, Inventing the mechanical wristwatch. would advance horology hundreds of years by the time this year rolled around. No doubt there would be a massive Hambone watch factory. B)

:rofl::tu:

Along this example, I would choose 1943 (San Francisco for the location) I'd grow up listening to some amazing music, post-WWII prosperity, do a tour in 'Nam, and then be in my prime as an adult for the late 60s early seventies... Some even more amazing music, Wolfman Jack, some cool clothes, tolerant times, enough techno-gadgets to have a fairly conteporary lifestyle, but best of all, no AIDS to stop me partying with all those gorgeous ladies :victory:

Do a tour in 'nam?? !!

What Birming'nam !! :)

Knowing your luck T...... you would have had your knackers taken off from a NVA tennis ball mine... !! Then all you could do was 'WATCH' !! (Pun intended!) :)

Do a tour in 'nam?? !!

What Birming'nam !! :)

Knowing your luck T...... you would have had your knackers taken off from a NVA tennis ball mine... !! Then all you could do was 'WATCH' !! (Pun intended!) :)

Yeah, that's true :bangin: Still, would've been an awesome era/location to have been living in at that age :)