When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1972 1675 Gloss Dial GMT

rolojack

Since I made earlier today a sales post to offer a good copy of the 16600 I had, I also took the opportunity to make an other photoshoot to share my 1675 with the community.

So here is my third post about vintage Rollies... I'm really getting to like that !!! This one is also an icon, less popular than the 5513, but a good third row after the queen Daytonas and the Submariner family. It has more character with its colored bezel, and I think that is why some people don't fully appreciate it when compared to the sobriety of the all black Submariners.

Enjoy the pictures and don't hesitate to comment !!! By the way, for all three watches I'd love to show the movements since they are all very clean, but my watchmaker shuts the backs so tight that I'm always scared to damage the backcase by trying to open them by myself.

post-43268-0-29339200-1346607487_thumb.j

post-43268-0-79246200-1346607491_thumb.j

post-43268-0-54437500-1346607496_thumb.j

post-43268-0-01790100-1346607501_thumb.j

post-43268-0-98050600-1346607506_thumb.j

post-43268-0-13708200-1346607511_thumb.j

post-43268-0-13527200-1346607515_thumb.j

post-43268-0-60470800-1346607519_thumb.j

post-43268-0-85696300-1346607523_thumb.j

post-43268-0-04703800-1346607528_thumb.j

post-43268-0-93769800-1346607531_thumb.j

post-43268-0-08272600-1346607536_thumb.j

post-43268-0-68766900-1346607540_thumb.j

• Like 1

Beautiful watch. I love all the GMT's, probably one of the most underrated of the Rolex sport watches. So much utility if you travel, or have to keep up with folks in other time zones.

What case/dial did you use for this?

Case is from Vietnam, dial is from Thailand, movement and bracelet are gen.

Also, I got an interesting PM comment on the fact that my watches look "too new". It is interesting to see most people want to believe "old" has to be damaged..... What ever is the age of your Rolex, when you bring it to the service center, they will return it to you looking brand new ! Are old cars all wrecked? Are 18 century furnitures, clocks and other Art pieces in ruins? Anything well maintened will remian in great shape. That's my philosphy.... :chinese: To me, a too desirable and too expensive watch or artifact owned/worned by a very proud owner -who obviously knows the value of his posession- in a like "never cared" condition is suspicious. You care for it, you want it to be perfect just like when it came out of the factory !!! I think quite often the whole vintagizing thing is just a way to hide the defects, the loose shape of the case, the poor dial and hands, etc... When if the watch is clean, the smallest flaw becomes obvious.

• Like 1

Also, I got an interesting PM comment on the fact that my watches look "too new". It is interesting to see most people want to believe "old" has to be damaged..... What ever is the age of your Rolex, when you bring it to the service center, they will return it to you looking brand new ! Are old cars all wrecked? Are 18 century furnitures, clocks and other Art pieces in ruins? Anything well maintened will remian in great shape. That's my philosphy.... :chinese: To me, a too desirable and too expensive watch or artifact owned/worned by a very proud owner -who obviously knows the value of his posession- in a like "never cared" condition is suspicious. You care for it, you want it to be perfect just like when it came out of the factory !!! I think quite often the whole vintagizing thing is just a way to hide the defects, the loose shape of the case, the poor dial and hands, etc... When if the watch is clean, the smallest flaw becomes obvious.

+1

Nice watch, btw.

I totally agree with you about the reps that folks beat all to hell and back with artificial aging, dial looking like it was left out in the rain and sun for a month (with no crystal!) Pearl missing and everything scratched and nicked like they were washed in a parts washer with a pound of bolts nuts and assorted screws.Just not my cup of tea.

I really like watches to look "gently used". I have, when younger really been pretty hard on some of my genuine Rolex watches, but after a trip to RSC Dallas, they always came back looking like new. After 5 years of everyday wear, total neglect except to wash the watch with soap and water occasionally, my first 1680 Submariner didn't look nearly as bad as some of the ones on the forum. The crystal was really scratched, and the bracelet had a ton of slack, the springbars were very worn, but all of that was because it was worn every day in dust, dirt got greasy, oily, Cow S**T, all of which, except maybe the Cow S**t produced a wonderful grinding compound, to wear out the outside moving components. But even with all that, the insert was not bad, and had I known about polishing compounds,I could have kept the crystal nice by polishing it periodically.

Totally agree pam153, unless the watch was previously owned since new by some super famous diver, actor or some sort of celebrity which would justify the want to keep the worn condition of the watch te be able to say : "Hey mate, that watch looks like [censored], but wait: that was the watch Sean Connery actually worn in the first James Bond !!! I have all the papers to show this, blah, blah, blah...", but let's keep in mind such a watch would sell for something like 200K in Christie's, so let's stay on earth here ! Otherwise, nobody likes to keep the dirt and sweat of the previous owner! The "looking new" doesn't mean factory crisp new : that also is close to impossible -and a real afficionado would never kill the value of a REAL new old stock by wearing it !!!- it means "just serviced new", and that is very different. Slightly tarnished dial and hands, but still super clean, and service quality polished case which is far away from the polishing done by the tooling machines at the factory !!! Ah, once again, let's be logical here ! :fool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your appreciation !!! It took me a long time to learn how to do a good polishing with crisp edges and perfectly flat top sanded lugs.... I'll make some more posts later to show my gold Rolex : they were really damaged when I got them, and I managed to get all the edges back. Cheers !!!!