When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 Automatic Chronograph Movement

obelisque

it seems it is luck of the draw basically, i have heard some have no problems and they run fine , then i have heard many have had trouble with them, as for keeping time , they do a fine job usually

and for the repair, it really depends on what is wrong with , it is very hard to find parts for it to repair , most of the time it needs a good cleaning

being this is alot of money for u , i would recommend not getting it , i would rather see u spend your money on a eta swiss movment usually for a little less than the one u r planning on buying

or better yet pick up a nice watch with the chinese copy eta in it for not much over a 100 bucks depending on your taste that is

hope this helps and i know it wasnt exactly what u wanted to hear

joe

I had two fail on me last week - a new Tag Link Chrono and the new SMP Chrono. Both sent back to dealer.

If it's going to go because of a QC issue, it usually does so within the first million or so beats. Some of Rob's reviews speak of ETA part interchangebility for repair but usually breakdown after the first few weeks is solved by a servicing.

Not to start another thread about the overall quality of these watches, but IMHO, the asian 7750 will probably cost you as much in service over time as the price of a genuine ETA that will require far less attention over the years. I have only purchased 7750 reps in the original 12-6-9 subdial layout so I can swap out the movement with an ETA when it goes. The cost of a teardown and service is more than half the cost of a genuine ETA and modification/replacement of the hands.

I have had three Asian 7750 so far ( all with the regular 6,9,12 layout)..

One was dead on arrival, was sent back and is now just fine.

One was fine, out of the box.

One was ok, but has a constantly running chrono-hour counter..

There have been some threads about the quality of Asian 7750ties. Personally, I would recommend ordinary ETA-movements. for newbees. ETA are more rugged, simpler and just better.. But, alas, chronos are so cool.. :)

Good luck with your choice.

I have several Asian 7750 reps -- Pam 212, 196, and 187, and the Navitimer Fighters. The oldest are about a year and a half old, and I haven't any problems with them, although the chrono seconds dial on the Navi creeps a bit over time. Still, I agree with people that these are not the reps to get if you're looking for the movement least likely to be problematic.

Still, if a rep fails after a little while, it happens. I never understand why people buy things like PSP's and iPods full knowing they'll be worthless junk in couple of years, but feel like reps have to be priceless family heirlooms. A fake Rolex is a shiny $200 toy. It is in no way a Rolex, as to both its attendant pros and cons. Compare apples with apples and you'll enjoy the hobby more.

For what it's worth...

I have overhauled more 7750's that I want to remember (new and old Asian models), and so far the number of them that have been returned for warranty repair due to failure is ZERO...

So they do seem to work fine after servicing, my older Asian version is going on 2 years of constant use (chrono and all...) and it's still working fine...

RG

I have overhauled more 7750's that I want to remember (new and old Asian models), and so far the number of them that have been returned for warranty repair due to failure is ZERO...

Do you find the quality of the Asian 7750s is improving? I mean I believe I know the answer, but ... well, you know. :D

They're good quality movements if they're cleaned up. I just wish the chrono seconds and subdial sizes would be directly interchangeable with swiss ETAs. I don't know why they can't do this. :(

They are. As long as the movement hasn't been altered to give a different configuration than the 12-6-9 layout, the positions of the hand posts are the same as the ETA 7750. The problem is the length and the diameter of the hand posts. They are longer and smaller in diameter than the ETA posts so to use the same hands that fit an asian 7750, you have to ream them out to fit a genuine ETA. But the hole layout on a dial that fits an asian 7750 will acomodate a Swiss 7750.

Do you find the quality of the Asian 7750s is improving? I mean I believe I know the answer, but ... well, you know. :D

No not really...

It's a crap shoot at best...just when they get something right, they screw up another...

Case in point, first few NEW Asian 7750's had excellent cannon pinons (unlike the older ones that ALL needed re-working by me to get them to work), but the latest ones are crap...good news is I can replace them with Genuine ETA parts...

And each and every new Asian model lately looks like this on the inside...

148432-15257.jpg

148432-15258.jpg

148432-15259.jpg

At least there is consistancy...they are all over oiled and full of crap...

RG

Both of the watches I returned last week were with the new 7750.

:wounded1: Just now, another of my Tag Link Chronos stopped working. Same problem as with the other two watches, just didn't want to live anymore.

So, now I have a nice 3 out of 4 7750 watches that are dead. Two Tag Links and one Omega SMP Chrono. This just isn't fair :wounded1:

:wounded1: Just now, another of my Tag Link Chronos stopped working. Same problem as with the other two watches, just didn't want to live anymore.

So, now I have a nice 3 out of 4 7750 watches that are dead. Two Tag Links and one Omega SMP Chrono. This just isn't fair :wounded1:

What has happened to your SMP chrono?

I suppose it had worked for little time has it's been for sale for not long. :huh: