When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Hand Rage

archierocks

HI guys well the rage has taken over with my pcg 1675 case re worked by the master rolex addict

i have 3 ETA movements 2824 2824.2 2836 4 sets of hands 2 from yuki to from raffles time yuki dial etc etc etc

still cant get any of the gmt hands to fit on the movements the whole on the hand is far too big for the pinion so keep an eye out in the sales section im selling off everything that's me over my limit trying to build it every time i get close bang something kicks me in the nuts il add a few pics here later so you can see what i mean

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck do that as loud as you can 30 times and your at my level

archie - have you ever heard of punctuation? It makes it easier for others to interpret what you write.

But if I understand your gist of your streaming character generation, it sounds like you have gen hands, which are not made to fit ETA (or other non-Rolex) movements. If the hands came from Yuki, that is definitely the problem. Try Clarks on ebay. He has good aftermarket hands made to fit ETAs. Or buy a used rep watch to get the hands you need.

Both hand sets are to fit ETA movements the first prob I had with yuki hands was he sent the wrong hands next 2 sets i got are listed to fit ETA 2824 or 2836 but don't .

Clarks doesn't have red GMT set on eBay for ETA just now only Rolex fit.

still cant get any of the gmt hands to fit on the movements the whole on the hand is far too big for the pinion

OK, calm down it's all 'easily' fixable.

The ETA 28xx movements all take the same size second(25), minute(90) and hour(150) hand. These are the same as Tudor hands which uses an ETA movement. Clark's will have these but nothing to fit DG movements, he only carries parts for gens.

The GMT 4th hand was the 'problem child' but that has been solved to my knowledge.

Regardless if it's the big arrow or small arrow, the GMT hand for the ETA2893-2 (the ONLY factory ETA GMT movement) and the genuine Rolex measures 1.7mm.

The GMT hand for the DG3804B and the modified/converted ETA or Asian 2836-2 and 2846 measures 2.0mm. (I do not know what the converted DG2813 takes, but it might be even bigger at 2.2mm, as I had a couple of those but didn't know where they came from!)

Ken at Rafflestime has BOTH GMT hands. The language barrier is sometimes an issue. I spoke with him through email a few days ago and found that he wasn't sure about which hand fit what.

If you have a caliper please measure your GMT pinion right where the hand mounts. That will tell us exactly which hand you need.

My .2c... Sell any un-needed movements and handsets to buy a new rep GMT with ETA movement and build around the movement :) Not ideal if you really want a gen heart in your watch, but it would be one way around the issue of the hands and movement fitting correctly :)

How dumb of me, I should have figured that out! Yes, that sounds like the most logical problem.

If one of your other ETA/Asian movements has one you're in business. If not, and you're like me, it's time for the flashlight on your hands and knees! The GMT pinion just slides on, so it does slide off when you don't want it to.

The GMT movement should look like this:

freddymovement.jpg

There are 5 parts used to convert the ETA/Asian 2836-2 to GMT. These parts also fit the ETA2846. I don't know, but I think they fit the ETA 2824 too.

The GMT pinion, as stated before, slips over the hour/minute/second pinion. The gear under the GMT pinion turns the gear that is arrowed in the pic. That is a 3 gear stacked setup, while the non-GMT uses a two gear setup. Then there is the setup to set the GMT hand by the date wheel advance mechanism.

If your movement was supposed to be a converted GMT when you bought it, then you need to find the lost GMT pinion. If it was not a converted GMT movement, then it would be much easier to just buy a GMT movement. Those 5 parts are hard to source, likely only through the membership here.

• Like 1

If two were, I'd check with who you bought them from.

ETA/Asian 2836-2 GMT converted movements can be bought from some of our suppliers. Rafflestime has the DG3804B GMT, but I don't know if he has the ETA, you'd need to ask him. Make certain to mention RWG, it helps. rouhelena has them new, but they've almost doubled in price since a few months ago, over $200usd. That's too much. There might be a member here who has one.

The ETA 2893-2 is a great movement, some watchmakers say it is at least as good a movement as the Rolex.

BUT...it takes a great deal of skill to fit it to our rep cases.

If you use a genuine dial (refinished, repainted, etc) then you will have to get taller pinions. The GMT hand will not have enough to 'bite' on the pinion for mounting. Then you will need to use a dial mount, the ring in between the dial and the movement, to line up the stem correctly. If the stem is off, the movement will either not run, or eventually - as in weeks - stop running. Then you have to go back to the dial and see if you have enough pinion to mount the GMT hand again. It is a back and forth, trial and error process even for the highly skilled members here. And then, on occasion, you might get it all to fit with no modifying at all.

I had this movement in my first 6542. I loved it, and was lucky in that it fit easily enough. I have since replaced it with the slow-beat ETA 2846 converted to GMT. It is more appropriate for the older watch, and I love the movement because it just keeps on going and going. I've since put ETA 2846 movements in my other 1950's watches.

BUT...my next build, a 1675, will use the DG3804B. I am convinced it is the BEST movement we can use. Most of us, myself included, came to the rep forums looking for the 'Best' rep we could get. It was in my mind, and I think most others, that the Chinese movement was a cheap POS and Swiss was the one I wanted. Most of us now know that the reps likely don't have genuine Swiss movements even when claimed, and the Asian 2836-2 is the smart buy anyway because it is cheaper and uses the same parts so it can be serviced just as a Swiss is.

But the DG3804B is a GMT designed movement, from the ground up. No adapting, no gears just a hair off, no parts added that were never designed by the manufacturer. It is as dependable as any Swiss movement. And the kicker for me is that the DG3804B can be had for less than $25 usd. And when it is time for a service, long about 5 years from now, the Swiss will cost more than $200usd to have serviced, and the DG3804B I will remove myself, place on the bench, smash it with a ball pein hammer, and install a new one for $25usd.

Everyone makes their own decisions what they want, and no one's decision is wrong. And it's obvious that you are frustrated with your build. You are not alone. Most all of us get the same way at one point or another in building a project. When you get PO'd, put it down and walk away. I literally threw my first build across the room against the wall. If I had my .45 handy I'd `a shot the SOB! I don't do that any more. Instead I go off and relax. If I were in Scotland, as you are, I'd build lots of watches because you've got enough Scots Whiskey just outside your door to cover all the pratfalls. Then come here anbd ask. There are so many here to help. You'll get this done, and love it. Just be patient, we're here.

But the DG3804B is a GMT designed movement, from the ground up. No adapting, no gears just a hair off, no parts added that were never designed by the manufacturer.

This isn't really true. Take a look at one sometime. It's a 2813 with an additional wheel on top just like a 2893 or GMT modded 2836 is.

The biggest difference is that due to the way the calendar plate on the 2813 is designed, the new GMT wheel fits underneath it. On the modded 2836 the GMT wheel is held down by the dial and a bent washer. (That sounds janky, but on the other hand the hour wheel of a factory ETA 2824 is held down the same way).

im thinking DG3804B il see who has them in stock i think ofrei and startime do them need to check tho unless you can point me to a better source (i have enough eta movements needing work and serviced )lol

I use OFrei. Is there anyone in Europe that has them. Cousins?

One other thing, you might want to get RolexAddict's opinion too as he did your case, and he knows it best.