When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gilt Submariner hands for DG2813

Akira

Shiny gold-plated, or the more dull gilt? To get the dull gilt look I use 1500 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the chrome plating off off the silver hands down to the brass used. Go slow and light and easy, and go in one direction one swipe at a time so you don't catch the end of the hand and bend it. The finish is smooth, the brass will dull a bit as it ages. It goes fast, the plating is very thin.

Cousins UK sell boxed sets of generic Rolex hands to fit Chinese movements, mixed silver and gilt.

Don't know what the shipping to Germany would cost though.

If you just want a one-off, you could do what I did and use glass paint, a mixture of yellow and brown, over your silver hands. The finished effect comes out like this -

20120905_174647.jpg

• Like 1

All great tips i used acylic laquer teak wood stain on my 6538 silver hands( experiment) they really look aged guilt effect

we mounted them on thin wire or pins so that the mounting holes dont clog up and the tint was so light it dident change the colour of the lume that much i also sanded a silver handset until they turned brass then dipped them in water to help patina here are some pics of the laquer finish!

post-27094-0-92210000-1347912485_thumb.j

post-27094-0-82621600-1347912593_thumb.j

I also did the whole (out of the box) dial until i decided on a ruhelena dial!

Edited by aeromatic

Shiny gold-plated, or the more dull gilt? To get the dull gilt look I use 1500 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the chrome plating off off the silver hands down to the brass used. Go slow and light and easy, and go in one direction one swipe at a time so you don't catch the end of the hand and bend it. The finish is smooth, the brass will dull a bit as it ages. It goes fast, the plating is very thin.

Thanks for a good tip! This place is really great!

@ aeromatic, nice watch.

What did you use as the base?

Hi davylloyd this case is the trusty 6202 the watch has changed a bit since, i have a post on this piece a little down the rolex pages (6538 budget build) i have changed the highdome crystal for a lower one and replaced the dial with a ruhelena high gloss one rebrushed case and beveled and polished the top of the lugs the trusty case has sharp edges , and redrilled the lugholes to take 2mm springpins my first 6538 build was a yukicased 1030 project this one i wanted to build to look new i have not done any patina (ageing) at all just thought it would be a change! here are some pics

post-27094-0-83886700-1347981931_thumb.j

post-27094-0-46319900-1347982008_thumb.j

Hi davylloyd this case is the trusty 6202 the watch has changed a bit since, i have a post on this piece a little down the rolex pages (6538 budget build) i have changed the highdome crystal for a lower one and replaced the dial with a ruhelena high gloss one rebrushed case and beveled and polished the top of the lugs the trusty case has sharp edges , and redrilled the lugholes to take 2mm springpins my first 6538 build was a yukicased 1030 project this one i wanted to build to look new i have not done any patina (ageing) at all just thought it would be a change! here are some pics

oops! sorry i posted the before photos by mistake! here are the after pics!

post-27094-0-22756400-1347989139_thumb.j

post-27094-0-08316200-1347989214_thumb.j

post-27094-0-09802100-1347989327_thumb.j

Notice the springpin spacers to keep the 18mm strap central ,although on this watch i may try a 20mm strap

Cousins UK sell boxed sets of generic Rolex hands to fit Chinese movements, mixed silver and gilt.

Don't know what the shipping to Germany would cost though.

If you just want a one-off, you could do what I did and use glass paint, a mixture of yellow and brown, over your silver hands. The finished effect comes out like this -

20120905_174647.jpg

Thats a super watch you have there! where did you get the dial from and case?

Thats a super watch you have there! where did you get the dial from and case?

Why am I calling you Aerotime when it's Aeromatic?

Thanks for the compliment. It's just a Silix $85 cheapie. I bought two, they were my first ever modding projects. I did the first one for my son, and then this one for myself. Both essentially the same, except his one had a gilt second hand, and I did a white one on mine. All the parts are stock - reworked the dial, shaved the plexi, drilled the lugholes and fitted 2mm pins, strap came from Ebay.

I think the whole thing gave me change from $120.

Why am I calling you Aerotime when it's Aeromatic?

Thanks for the compliment. It's just a Silix $85 cheapie. I bought two, they were my first ever modding projects. I did the first one for my son, and then this one for myself. Both essentially the same, except his one had a gilt second hand, and I did a white one on mine. All the parts are stock - reworked the dial, shaved the plexi, drilled the lugholes and fitted 2mm pins, strap came from Ebay.

I think the whole thing gave me change from $120.

Thats a great deal! so silix sells cases for the 65? as i said mine was a trusty 6538 left for now the 2836-2 clone it work fine i got some slow beat etas for later mine cost around 250$ i think we shaved the bottom of the plexy too but then fitted a gen omega dome i dident like the dome that was on too much distortion the omega is flatter in the centre. i used 2mm rolex pins but it was tight getting them in because the tube part was 20mm its self.
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting an older topic here, I'm looking for gilt hands now too.  I have a set on my Big Crown that are nice but I'd like the minutes hand to be 1/2mm longer or so. 

The CWP gilt hands come highly recommended, but he replied he only has aftermarket for an ETA 2824 movement.  These won't fit a DG or Miyota movement.

Can anyone tell me whose hands are next best?  I've heard of Raffles' hands but are they full length like the CWP?

Does anyone have comparative photos? 

Any suggestions?  It's for a Miyota 8215.   :tu:

Measuring with my rusty trusty Harbor Freight caliper, Rafflestime Submariner minute hand is 12.90 overall. 12.01 from center of pinion hole to the point. Give or take an inch...

For the gilt look hands on my 6204 I used a toothpick to hold the hands through the pinion hole, and 1500 grit sandpaper to take the chrome off, down to the brass. Go in one direction, slowly. Do not sand back and forth because if you catch the hand they bend real easy. Guess how I know that? It doesn't take much effort at all, just a few passes. The 1500 leaves a good finish.

post-16926-0-68660400-1366387045_thumb.j

JoeyB that's great advice. See how your minutes hand lies just short of the chapter ring? That's how mine looks.<br /><br />Cc33 sent photos of CWP hands and they're exactly right but won't fit Miyota movements. Argh!