When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jewellery and Watch 702 crown

dieselpower

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately my photographic equipment is vintage as well (Nikon F3) so my digital camera is called an iPhone. Now I've seen some pretty good results with these but I'm not sure I will be able to equal them so when I post about the watch I apologise in advance for the piccies.

The F3 is more than capable of producing excellent pics. You should read some of the tutorials in the Photography section & practice, practice, practice. Remember, pics like these (& most others)

6536-1_star0042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

whiteflower55130012__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

were taken with this 12 year-old, 4MP point-&-shoot

a80shot.jpg

Does anyone know when they stopped using the 700-0 on Submariners?

Until about the mid-1970s I believe.

@ freddy333, I know that the F3 is a great camera, I also have a Nikon macro lens so given enough light I could probably produce some good shots, trouble is - not digital. I might try a few shots then scanning them but that's where it all goes wrong. Computers are useless and printers are even more useless than that!

I'd say if you're building a franken piece, the 702 reproduction from J&W would suffice. Hell, I might even pick one up. My only concern would be the pitch on the tube fitting the case. You obviously would never want to mod a gen case to fit a repro tube. But a rep case might afford more options. As far as a list of where to get 702s, that would be quite challenging I suspect.

I'd say if you're building a franken piece, the 702 reproduction from J&W would suffice. Hell, I might even pick one up. My only concern would be the pitch on the tube fitting the case. You obviously would never want to mod a gen case to fit a repro tube. But a rep case might afford more options. As far as a list of where to get 702s, that would be quite challenging I suspect.

I want to fit a 702 in my puretime redsub 1680 that has been modded to 5513! in a gen case only a gen crown and tube for sure in fact i would make it all gen but then again it may cost as much as a gen from ebay! im looking for a crown that looks close to the gen 5513/2 but in keeping with my low cost build !

The low-cost alternative to a gen 702 is the lowly MBW triplock crown. It has enough wall thickness that you can chuck It up in a lathe or drill, and use tools to carve a bevel on the case side.

It's yoogly, but it's also cool in a Warhol kinda way.

:ph34r:

The low-cost alternative to a gen 702 is the lowly MBW triplock crown. It has enough wall thickness that you can chuck It up in a lathe or drill, and use tools to carve a bevel on the case side.

It's yoogly, but it's also cool in a Warhol kinda way.

:ph34r:

Thank you Mr Ice! (joking) Nanuq!

@ freddy333, I know that the F3 is a great camera, I also have a Nikon macro lens so given enough light I could probably produce some good shots, trouble is - not digital. I might try a few shots then scanning them but that's where it all goes wrong. Computers are useless and printers are even more useless than that!

Scanning photos does add a cumbersome set of extra steps, but, years ago, before I got the Canon P&S, I used to scan photos taken by my Contax &, as long as your photos & scanner glass are scrupulously clean & use a high dpi setting (600-1200+), you should be able to turn out great pics. On the other hand, that is alot of work, so it might be worth investing 30-50 quid in a cheap P&S (today's entry level P&S cameras are significantly better than my 12 year-old Canon).

I scanned these photos from very high resolution photographic slides, and you can see the poor overall quality. It's a shame really, this was a spectacular trip in the high arctic.

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/archangel.htm

I just got a 702 crown ( bought as a 703 crown!) I thought but it looks like an 702 crown with the dots closer to the crown and it also have a brass colored tube on the crown like on freddys pictures of a 702 crown.

So there is a 703 crown that lokks like a 702 from the side???

It screws in nicely on a clarks/genuine 7030 ( 703!) tube but has a thick o-ring at the bottom of it!

Buncha meatheads. :fool:

The difference between a 702 and 703 is the placement of the seals.

A 703 has an external tube o-ring and the crown is smooth inside, to seal down over that o-ring. It looks like this. Note this is a 704 set but they are identical in operation.

post-32-0-19191300-1348673809_thumb.jpg

A 702 has no external tube o-ring, so the crown is not smooth inside, it's threaded right down to the opening. Here's a picture (bottom left crown):

post-32-0-68354200-1348673692_thumb.jpg

Another photo... you can see the smooth tube with threads at its base to mate with the threads inside the 702 crown that extend right down to its opening:

post-32-0-39033900-1348674019_thumb.jpg

Bottom line: if the crown is smooth INSIDE it's a 703. If the tube is smooth OUTSIDE it's a 702.

Thanks to Ubi and Freddy for the photos! :tu:

Yes, one would think "ah sunflower" and think they had a 702.

But comparing a 703 to a 704, you'll see the same difference. A 703 is wrapped steel over brass and a 704 is a machined monobloc.

Look for the seals. You'll never go wrong.

post-32-0-19347600-1348676406_thumb.jpg