When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Sub Springbar Mod

bumroxas

Hi Guys,

I really like the look of having the rounded ends of sub springbars sticking out a bit from the lugs but I couldnt find any that did.

Plus the fact that I kept breaking my 1.3 drillbits didnt make things easier for me too.

So I made my own using stainless steel paperclips....Yeah you heard me..its quite embarrasing but its the best I could do given my tools and parts available.

Anyway here's what i ended up with.

a3_zps533c751f.jpga2_zps35ae94cb.jpg

a1_zpsc6d328aa.jpg

Its an MBW budget build

1680 turned 1530 with Josh's 5513 dial and a crystal from an mbw 1665

If anyone knows where i can get springbars that'll get this effect let me know.

• Like 1

My yukiwatch springpins stick out a bit on my 6538 build i polished the case sides to replicate this rounded effect only problem i had with these springpins were the tube part was 20mm exact and it was a hard to fit them between the lugs, on ebay you can find aftermarket pins

my watchmaker friend makes his own pins for his watches he cuts a stainless steel rod the correct diameter and puts two slight bends in it and then feeds the rod into the lugs and its held in place as the bends cause the rod to act like a spring made correctly the only way that the pins come out is when you use a tool to push the pins out this is a good quick fix or can be left in, there is no risk of failure

like ordinary springpins iin fact he has replaced most of his springpins in his collection !

almost forgot you will need a stainless steel tube for the width between your lugs because the rod/spins are thinner .

note this mod can only be done to lughole cases!

Edited by aeromatic

this is very interesting aeromatic...I kinda get what you mean but pics would be awesome if you have some...

Here are some quick photos to give the general idea.

The stainless steel rod (lughole redrilled to 1.3mm

post-27094-0-65468700-1348485888_thumb.j

Rod cut to size (depending on how much you want the pins to stick out

next job to sand/polish and round off the ends with 600 wet n dry

post-27094-0-84227600-1348485970_thumb.j

Here are the bends i have shown them bent a little bit more than is nesserary

even one slight bend in the middle will work as long as the rod is a tight fit

post-27094-0-16997100-1348486116_thumb.j

you will need a tube 2mm or a springpin tube with the ends and spring removed

one you push the rod through the first lug then fit the tube until the other end is

seen you will need to put pressure on the rod to line it up with the other lughole

post-27094-0-00680100-1348486235_thumb.j

post-27094-0-14059600-1348486465_thumb.j

Disclaimer this is meant as a quick fix there are correct rolex springpins available this

method could be used also for bracelets that the endlinks will not fit 2mm springpins just fit without the tube part. this may seem (crude)

Edited by aeromatic

Can I keep this look for my 5513? or will it look funny based on the pics?

Quite honestly, unless your watch has some glaring issue that screams FAKE (causing the viewer to suspect & look for additional clues of fakery), no one (other than you) notices whether your springbars peek out of the lug holes or not.

I think your right Freddy, the Cousins ones look exactly the same as the Gen ones I've owned before

The look is not the salient issue here (there is little to no difference in the appearance of springbars of the same size/style/type). It is the spring tension, which is considerably stronger on Swiss-made springbars vs Asian-made, that make the difference. The stronger the internal spring, the less chance the springbars will collapse or let go, which can result in a very nasty accident.