When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SFSO - New V2 Dial vs Older Version Dial

triplehd

Ok - so the good news is that the V2 SFSO is out and comes equip with two movement options - ETA 2836 or the ETA Clone 2836. I recently purchased a V2 ETA Clone (same watch, cheaper in price). I already have a SFSO - custom built. I acquired an older version dial from hackr a couple years back. This dial was the cream version which in my opinion lives up to the description - because the dial is cream, unlike some versions where its literally white or off-white (and would still be called cream dial).

So, here are some dirty pics. I love both watches but can only keep one. The new v2 does have the double a/r but my custom built does not (oh well). Im really leaning towards keeping my custom built, but wanted to get some members opinions regarding the dial colors.

The V2 has the bracelet. Custom built is on leather strap.

Give me your opinions.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0021.jpgDSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

I am completely un-qualified - I don't own any Breitlings (yet) and have never seen the gen version of this but.....

If you offered me both those watches I'd take the one on the leather strap. It just seems to have more 'presence'. Looking closer the detail may be better on the v2 i.e. the numerals on the chapter ring but overall I still prefer the older one.

This may be entirely due to the darker strap setting off the dial better. It would be useful to see both watches again with the straps swapped over.

Thanks for everyone chiming in.....deciding which one to keep. If i keep the asian, i would eventually replace the crystal. Or maybe just swap cases and sell the v2 for a discount. Possibilities are endless lol

The brown strap is a $20 strap from watchprince.com.

hey H...sorry - buried...

hmmm...interesting decision...i'd take neither...lol...well sorta...neither is gen-like in color, nor concentric circles...the gen is a light creme/wheat color...i had all 3 rep colors of the steelfish and definitely spent a lot of time deciding which dial is better of the various releases...the old dial has the best color of the batch of dials out there...however, there's a slight golden tinge to the markers against the dial...never could understand what causes this...the lume is also slightly more yellow than gen...if memory serves me right, the dial's lume is pretty good - but i would think the new v2 is probably stronger (both are probably far from gen - but i've not seen a v2 rep compare with a gen...this dial was one of the first releases and was/is highly sought after...

i do like the v2 dial - but i would wear it as a "fantasy" piece...i like white dial watches, but breitling's white, often referred to as silver, is in reality, light creme/off-white/straw/wheat in color...i recently purchased a gen Colt a73380 with the same off-white color and blue subdials...the a73380 is quartz, not automatic...compared to my gen blue steelfish, i find that i gravitate to wearing the Colt more - mostly due to the uniqueness of the dial color...

all in all - keep the v2 if you want a watch with some nice features and lume - but i'd probably keep the old dial version as it's unqiue...put the old dial in the best case/xtal combo and sell the hybrid v2...i kinda think the v2 case/bezel looks better than the case your old dial is in...pearl and bezel looks better...not sure which xtal is better - but i'd want a xtal with a slight blue tint...

hope this helps...

R-

Both are great reps. BUT... my advice is to sell both and buy the gen. It's definitely worth it.

That'll save you money... because eventually only the gen is good enough. Hackr knows this too. :D

dlq51w.jpg

34dr3ut.jpg

23ucwgn.jpg

Thanks guys for the input.

I like the older dial due to the unique color. It reminds me of my old gen SuperOcean (same model as the XFish - but 42mm). I like the newer dial because its more detailed. I was leaning on keeping the v2, but now may keep both.

Ill see if i have time to switch cases and see what the hybrid looks like as a result.

This is what my gen looked like (sold it a few years back). I would say that the v2 dial, even though not 100% matching, is closer to the gen compared to older dial.

breitling-super-ocean-steelfish-cream-face-mens-watch-19613.jpg

Maybe ill just keep the v2 and buy the gen dial - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREITLING-ORIGINAL-SUPEROCEAN-STEELFISH-A17360-WHITE-DIAL-PART-/200747610676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd7d7234

Your V2 on bracelet seems to have the more accurate dial compare to my gen..the dial is not cream but silver

Hmmm...maybe ill end up keeping the V2 and sell the Asian. I really like the cream color dial with the dark leather strap opposed to the SS bracelet.

Everyone - keep on the look out in the sales section :)

Agreed with Yannou about the dial.

I had the old skool ETA fish, with a gen silver/cream dial... and now I have the v2 rep (clone movt with black dial)

I'd definately keep the v2. 99% of peeps won't know what colour the dial 'should' be.

the v2 has a slightly more accurate bezel, in terms of number placement. The pearl is also more gen-like, IMO.

I would keep the V2. It has a better case with correct HE valve and a better crown. Breitlings are known for their AR coatings and "disappearing" crystals. The AR on the V2, while not completely Gen like is still pretty darn good and the absence of the AR is very noticeable. The bezel is also better on the V3.

The are Paris and cons to both dials, but I would not decide to keep or sell one of these watches based on the dial alone. As you pointed out, Gen dials are regularly available for ~$250.00. You can always swap out the dial for Gen which will be infinitely better than either rep dial. The case, however, can't be so easily sourced unless you buy the Gen. So, in short, keep the best watch with the best case and swap the dial down the road if it really bothers you. I would probably keep the ETA movement from the V1 though... particularly if you plan to mod this watch with a Gen dial at any point down the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to do a detailed review on this latest SOSF, but decided to mod it. So I guess a review is kind of unambiguous.

Here's the difference between the dials. Gen on the right. The AR is actually better with the richer gen dial. IMAG0631.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0639.jpg

And where the rep bezel font matches the gen, the rider tabs are narrower

IMAG0641.jpg

Dumb question....

I've looked at these pics a number of times while trying to decide which Breitling is the one for me but I've only just realised that the seconds hand os a different shape between the two.

Which is correct?

Or are both shapes used in the 'gen'? (maybe different years?)

Just swapped the dials from the cases. Ill take pics and upload them later for everyone to chime in.

Higs - answer to your question - yes, both seconds hands are correct. The original SFSOs had a square second hand and then Breitling updated the SFSOs with arrow second hands.