When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 16570 Excitment

walrashish

Here it is, gents. Tons of pics below, but first, a foreword.

I'd been trawling around eBay for a while, looking for an Oyster Date or Oyster Perpetual around the $1000 mark. Then I thought about a Zenith for around $2000-2500. Then I saw this listed for $3300 (with a full non-AD service in May), and figured that if I'm going to be dropping major coin on a watch, I might as well get what I want. So I did. I feel like I'm not likely to take much of a loss on this if I need to sell it in the future—though I'm planning on keeping this as my daily wearer for the foreseeable future.

One note: I'm thinking of getting a rep bracelet for this. The solid-middle-link bracelet from my 116610 might go on, since it's served me well, and it's a hell of a lot less rattly. Besides, keeping the gen strap in fairly good nick will decrease stretch and increase resale value. We'll see, though. The hollow bracelet is surprisingly comfortable.

On with the show!

FJZaD.jpg

fMttu.jpg

DnBjB.jpg

zBWjw.jpg

nEGTl.jpg

py6g6.jpg

0KYod.jpg

6AqHK.jpg

5bVpg.jpg

4umXG.jpg

fuG2T.jpg

OL5Yv.jpg

LmGG3.jpg

And I also took some comparison shots with my Rolex reps, for reference. The 116610 has been a beater for about 7 months. The Exp I hasn't been worn yet. Both are from Trevor, FWIW.

QnCMl.jpg

The difference in wrist-presence between the 116610 and 16570 is much greater than I expected. But I have small (6.5") wrists, so the smaller watch fits me better.

UGGsd.jpg

pysdx.jpg

K6Cxk.jpg

33IGU.jpg

Here's a lume shot—all three were charged for about 10 seconds by a 60-watt tungsten lightbulb. Since the 16570 is a U-serial (1997), I'm guessing that it's had a lume-job. Or maybe not—it does fade fairly quickly. Still enough to read by in the darkness once your eyes adjust, though. Anyway, this round very clearly goes to the gen!

sMDLB.jpg

FvNFs.jpg

And speaking of the Exp I... I ordered it from Trevor just before I pulled the trigger on the gen. It's still in its plastics! It'll make an appearance on the trading zone soon enough, but if you want a jump on it, feel free to PM me.

75KfR.jpg

These were all taken quick and dirty with my iPhone. If anyone has some requests, I can get out the DSLR and macro lens and go to town for you. Hope you enjoyed the pics—I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I'm wearing a gen!