When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Help, First Purchase

B3ard

Hey RWG,

Before you guys go balls to the wall crazy for posting in general about asking for help with rep watches, hear me out. I've searched, and looked through all the threads, 2 pages worth.

I am having trouble finding a rep A. Lange & Sohne watch review. Nor can I find out what TD has the best quality rep for A. Lange & Sohne. I've been looking for two days and I have found nothing.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I've been looking at Josh and I'm having trouble navigating his site, because I think some of the models are mismatched or something. I have been fascinated with this watch brand and it's one of my favorite brands if not my favorite. I really want to wear a rep Lange & Sohne in good health, but I can't if I can't find any contacts that have great reps.

I talked with Josh and he said the movement was by Sea-Gull, which I know is reliable, but I just worry it's not any good because I can't find any reviews. And I really don't want to buy an Omega just yet. I'm highly considering a VC/AP though.

Please help, and don't flame me, I'm just an honest patron trying to find my way around the forums. A lot of stuff is out of date information, and a lot of links just return me to error pages.

Thank you so much RWG, if this thread needs to be moved, please do so. I am forever grateful for whatever help is offered.

I want A. Lange and Sohne to be my first rep purchase EVER!

I was looking for this model in particular: http://www.1-pc8838.com/al01010-datograph-perpetual-calenderbig-date-ssle-white-asia-p-9531.html

B3ard

Edited by B3ard

I don't think I've ever seen a review of anyone having purchased that range, and rarely see any photos of them posted, which is probably why you've found nothing... If that's the one you want to buy, then buy it. I doubt you'll have anything to worry about, as it'll be made to the same standards as everything else Josh sells :good::drinks:

A watch like that is only ever so good of a rep. The gens are so beautifully detailed, with such beautiful movements, that a rep will always be easy to spot. I would love a rep Lange 1, but having tried on my friends gen, it seems pointless to get a rep.

Ditto TeeJay's comments, but you should read this.

The biggest problem with Lange reps, at least those with dates, is their lack of an oversized date feature, which the rep factories have yet to be able to replicate for a reasonable amount of money. So what you get is a watch with a standard (small) date, which is a dead give-away to anyone with knowledge of the brand. After all, the oversized date feature is 1 of modern Lange's claims to fame (1st seen on the Lange 1, which is 1 of my grail watches). I picked up a Large Arkade just before 9/11 from a website that went out of business several years ago

audemarsandlange30022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

As you can see, it lacks the oversized date, but the rest is a reasonable facsimile of the genuine Lange. Unfortunately, the Arkades were never big sellers (for Lange or the rep makers) & I rarely see them in sellers' listings.

1 of the problems you will run into, even with better sellers, is listings of models that are either no longer available or whose specs/appearance has changed since the seller's website descriptions/pics were posted. And, unfortunately, as I have discovered in the last month, even some of the best sellers listed on rwg continue to advertise stale listings (even after being made aware of the specific items on their website that are no longer in production :g: ).

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I think I have been reading up that Lange and Sohne is like one of the companies that show true craftsmenship because reps are so far between the gens. I think I might take an alternative route. Is there any suggestions you guys can make to me instead of A Lange and Sohne? I've been looking at Breguet, and AP because I want something that looks sleek and will catch the eye with parts of the movements showing, but nothing too faux.

I just don't want an Omega just yet because they don't show the intricacies from the front. For my first purchase I wouldn't mind getting a rep that looks damn near close to the gen, so Breitling/Omega might be the right track. Thanks for all the help you guys, one of the best communities :)

Have you checked out Breguet Aeronavale?

http://www.1-pc8838.com/br01001-aeronavale-type-chrono-black-asia-7750-28800bph-p-4062.html

TTK (Neil) had a gen of this model. Pretty damn fine watch.

BreguetXX.jpg

BreguetXXB.jpg

Of course the rep isn't all that accurate... it's pretty much impossible to replicate watches of this caliber... but who really cares? You can still enjoy your rep a lot.

Thanks for that suggestion ByTor, I don't have that kind of $$ at the moment, so I'm stuck around the 100-150 range. 180 tops.

Any suggestions other than that Breguet?

I really like that, but I just can't afford the almost $400 :(

I'm highly considering an Omega Seamaster/Speedmaster.

I've even considered getting a watch from watcheden and getting the clearance ones that are like 90, and getting like two 90 dollar ones to fiddle with.

Thank you for the suggestion "whoever" but that is a little too silvery for me :p

rrari1, that is an amazing piece. I love how it offers the antique look, and I've always liked the second that sweeped nicely at the bottom. I think that's on my buy list. I am awaiting to hear from the person that's selling this:

http://www.watcheden.net/a-lange-sohne-langematic-perpetual-manual-winding-with-gray-dial-leather-strap-i-79597-p-1.html

I asked if all the functions were working. Including the moon phase. If thats the situation, I am defnitely buying this one. Considering it's only $98 with free shipping after you use an advertised $20 off coupon! Which also means for the cost of one of these normally from other TD, I can now get a cheap Rolex or something from them.

Edited by B3ard

Check out some of the simpler Pateks. Patek Philippe is at the top of the horological ladder, but they do make some beautifully simple models. Check out Ubiquitous' recent posts that highlight 2 of his brilliant & stunning Patek frankens. Obviously, both are above your preferred price range, but I think some of their more basic models might work for you.

Thank you for the suggestion "whoever" but that is a little too silvery for me :p

rrari1, that is an amazing piece. I love how it offers the antique look, and I've always liked the second that sweeped nicely at the bottom. I think that's on my buy list. I am awaiting to hear from the person that's selling this:

http://www.watcheden...-79597-p-1.html

I asked if all the functions were working. Including the moon phase. If thats the situation, I am defnitely buying this one. Considering it's only $98 with free shipping after you use an advertised $20 off coupon! Which also means for the cost of one of these normally from other TD, I can now get a cheap Rolex or something from them.

Usually in watches like that, the moonphase is replaced with an AM/PM sun and moon. A moonphase complication is quite complex, that is why the Lange 1 moonphase costs maybe 10k more than the regular Lange 1 (I have not checked their prices in a few years, so may be off on that) From the picture on watcheden it looks like an AM/PM complication, which is a bit of a giveaway.

$100 reps of watches with lots of complications tend to have at best simplified versions of those complications. For example, I had a perpetual calendar type watch once (a bit like the one you are looking at), that counted the days of the month 1 - 39... A bit of a giveaway if you do not remember at the end of the month to roll it forward to 1 again.

You should take into account that you will have to replace the strap on most of the dress watch reps you buy. The Langes come with very expensive alligator straps, and the reps come with fairly cheap looking straps.

Edited by rrari1

Not sure which Lange model you are looking for, but I did own a rep of the Lange flyback Datograph. Here is a review and photos. http://www.rwg.cc/to...k-short-review/

I have since sold the watch, but it is a very nice rep, although it is not 100% (What rep is!!), It is pretty close, and this is a rep of a watch that is a very limited seller, so you are unlikely to run into another one at your local pub.