When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on a gen 16710

danielv2000

I've been offered a gen 16710 GMT Master II for $3,500. It's an early-to-mid 90's just recently serviced with papers. Service dial and hands were installed. It comes on non-branded aftermarket jubilee. It's in great shape - I mean, just serviced and looks great as all Pepsi's do.

The Pepsi is on my short-list of gens I would like to own in my lifetime (Thank you By-Tor!)

What are your thoughts?

"Service dial" and "aftermarket bracelet"?

Hmm...

Just consider that you can get an all-original 16710 (with tritium dial & non-SELs) in good condition, for around $4000 - $4500.

This example is without papers though. But there are many of them out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990s-ROLEX-16710-GMT-MASTER-II-MENS-WATCH-/300784615124?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item460828fed4

When buying gens, I would only buy a 100% gen watch. Absolutely with genuine bracelet. Just my opinion.

PS: PM me if you find an example and want some consultation. I'll be happy to help. :good:

"Service dial" and "aftermarket bracelet"?

Hmm...

Just consider that you can get an all-original 16710 (with tritium dial & non-SELs) in good condition, for around $4000 - $4500.

This example is without papers though. But there are many of them out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990s-ROLEX-16710-GMT-MASTER-II-MENS-WATCH-/300784615124?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item460828fed4

When buying gens, I would only buy a 100% gen watch. Absolutely with genuine bracelet. Just my opinion.

PS: PM me if you find an example and want some consultation. I'll be happy to help. :good:

Thanks for the input. Personally, I like the luminova dial and hands better than the tritium. I have a BK Transformer and prefer the modern look vs the vintage look on this particular model. I like the fact that its recently serviced and has new dial and hands.

Also, I like the price point. I have a gen jubilee I can throw on it.

I thought you said your watch is from early to mid-90's?

That definitely means a tritium dial, which was used until 1997.

T<25 = Tritium -> 1997

SWISS = Luminova 1998-1999

SWISS MADE = Super Luminova 2000 ->

In most cases with vintage watches, I would agree with By-Tor, but the 16710 is not a sought after vintage, tons of them are around, and they won't be escalating in price like a good 1675 or a 1680 for a long time. just too many of them out there.I would tend to agree with you, while i'm a big fan of keeping watches original, every one and that means in the hundreds of thousands or possibly millions, that have cycled through RSC's are not original. at the very least, they changed the crystal, probably changed the crown/tube polished the watch, etc. So unless a Rolex has been a true safe queen for the past 40-50 years ,there is a pretty good chance that it has a different crystal, dial, hands, crown/tube and maybe bracelet than the ones that were part of the watch when it left the facrtory. Heck, for a long time, DRSD's and Red Subs going in for service were coming back with white service dials. no telling how many DRSD's were converted. Back then, most owners could have cared less, they got a "New" watch back from service. Today that little swap is probably worth around minus 5-10k depending on the old dial. I doubt that changing a tritium dial to a lumi service dial will make any difference at all in the case of a 16710, at least not for many,many years.

The only thing that would concern me in this deal would be "where was it serviced"? The reason I'm asking this is if the watch was sent to a RSC, it would NOT have left there with an aftermarket bracelet. They would have either changed the bracelet, or refused to service the watch, so either the seller took off the new bracelet and substituted a cheaper aftermarket, or the watch was sent to the RSC without a bracelet, or it was serviced by and independent watchmaker.

Along with the papers that came with the watch, I would want to see the service invoice as well, just to make sure of what was done, and how long back. All in all, I believe that 3500.00 USD is a pretty good price for a 16710 with papers. I haven't been keeping up with the prices as this model is a little too contemporary for me, however jumpwed over to TZ sales corner, and it looks like the going price for a really nice 16710 w/ box and papers is around 4700-4900 USD, so even at the low end, you are getting this one for around 1200+ less. you should be able to pick up a nice Jubilee for quite a bit less than that.

My feelings about htis are if the watch is as good as it is supposed to be, it does have the documentation, and it has a documentable recent service, I would not hesitate to buy it.That is if you have a good feeling about it and it's what you want .